PDA

View Full Version : Identifying Aluminium

Oldneweng
3rd August 2013, 05:01 PM
Does anybody have a method to identify aluminium? I collect it for when I egt around to casting with it but I have found a number of bits that I am unsure of.

Dean

Scott
3rd August 2013, 10:33 PM
Aluminium is mostly graded on it's hardness. Could you find someone who has access to a harness tester? Or go to an aluminium distributor and ask them? Otherwise I don't think you can identify aluminium by it's look. I could be wrong though :)

Durdge39
3rd August 2013, 10:53 PM
If you're trying to determine certain alloys then I think I remember from one of my textbooks that the various alloying elements will react with certain types of acid and turn an exposed surface black or some such. I reckon the copper bearing alloys were the ones they mentioned in particular. Hardness could be a bit ambiguous as the heat treatments also vary a great deal. I've played with 2024 and some 6xxx series for things that I don't think I could tell apart in any way at all. Hardness, machinability or otherwise. Although 1xxx series will usually be very malleable and oxidise very quickly to a dull finish! Certainly an interesting quest. Good luck!

Master Splinter
4th August 2013, 12:51 AM
For casting purposes, you'd be better off sticking to collecting aluminium from existing castings, such as lawnmower bodies or mag wheels.

Oldneweng
4th August 2013, 09:51 AM
For casting purposes, you'd be better off sticking to collecting aluminium from existing castings, such as lawnmower bodies or mag wheels.

Thanks for all the replies guy's.

It is mostly castings I am talking about.

Eg. Car carburettors and fuel pumps are I believe cast from zinc.

I dismantled an old sat dish and found castings which were much too heavy for ali.

The one that decided me to post this question was a heat sink from a car stereo which was quite large but I was unsure as to the weigh versus volumn. It had a section across the full width about 15mm square.

It would be easiest to stick to "known" castings if I knew which ones to use. I mentioned mag wheel use to the boss where I get my tyres fitted and he said they were magnesium. Not sure about this one.

Dean

Durdge39
4th August 2013, 10:54 AM
Mag wheels havent been magnesium for decades. They stopped that once they realised that overheated brakes could ignite the rims. After that you have the world's brightest car for a few minutes. Also, magnesium is both more expensive and and less resistant to corrosion. If you have a real old rim you want to check, strike it with a knife. In theory, magnesium should spark like a flint.

I can't say I've heard of carbys being cast from zinc, but auto ones may differ. All the one's I work with (aero jobbies) are aluminium for the vast majority.

Oldneweng
4th August 2013, 11:54 AM
Mag wheels havent been magnesium for decades. They stopped that once they realised that overheated brakes could ignite the rims. After that you have the world's brightest car for a few minutes. Also, magnesium is both more expensive and and less resistant to corrosion. If you have a real old rim you want to check, strike it with a knife. In theory, magnesium should spark like a flint.

I can't say I've heard of carbys being cast from zinc, but auto ones may differ. All the one's I work with (aero jobbies) are aluminium for the vast majority.

Interesting about the mag in mags. I remember seeing a news article years ago about a racing car belonging to Allan Moffat being stolen and found burnt out. The article mentioned the expensive magnesium rims that were fitted. I think the finding of it burnt out was a second article later. It showed a picture of the car sitting on its expensive but still intact magnesium (alleged) rims.

Some car castings have a slight yellow cast to them. I had heard they were zinc. The problem is how to tell the difference. Put a heap of them together and you get a huge range of appearances caused by numerous factors.

Dean

Durdge39
4th August 2013, 01:32 PM
If they were zinc then they might melt at an appreciably lower temperature - Wiki says zinc will melt some 200 degrees lower than aluminium. Might be worth a shot?

Oldneweng
4th August 2013, 01:48 PM
If they were zinc then they might melt at an appreciably lower temperature - Wiki says zinc will melt some 200 degrees lower than aluminium. Might be worth a shot?

Thanks for that tip. I did not even think of melt temp as ali has a relatively low melting point. Worth checking out.

Dean

Master Splinter
4th August 2013, 04:21 PM
Lots of old carbies are a high zinc content alloy. A rough way to figure it out is if it has really small detail (part numbers or whatever) cast in, and it feels heavier than it should, then it's one of the various zinc based pot metals.

I've heard that a drop of hydrocholric acid on zinc will fizz rapidly and go yellow, while it will just bubble slowly and stay clear on aluminum, but I've never tested this.

SawDustSniffer
4th August 2013, 06:20 PM
die cast " carbie parts " would be zink with any thing from 8% too 25% aluminum
die cast is easy to see , the marks from the die , look the same as plastic die marks , cast aluminum wont have die marks

the die cast Zamak25 ( 75% zinc 25% aluminum ) is worth keeping , mixed 89%copper and 11% zamak25 will make a nice " false gold " brass

Oldneweng
4th August 2013, 07:17 PM
Lots of old carbies are a high zinc content alloy. A rough way to figure it out is if it has really small detail (part numbers or whatever) cast in, and it feels heavier than it should, then it's one of the various zinc based pot metals.

I've heard that a drop of hydrocholric acid on zinc will fizz rapidly and go yellow, while it will just bubble slowly and stay clear on aluminum, but I've never tested this.

What you would have created here is soldering fluid. Another thing I did not think of until reminded. What is happenning to my brain? Don't answer.

Dean

Oldneweng
4th August 2013, 07:26 PM
It is becoming much clearer now. I took some pictures of an old stationary motor carby of unknown source but they did not show the colour as required. Now it seems I don't need the pics. Thanks for your help SawDustSniffer and Master Splinter, I do know what you mean by the casting marks.

I cut a small piece from the carby and tried to melt it with my mini butane torch. Melted very quickly. Ali did not melt at all.

I have started collecting the zinc bits now. What sort of things could zinc be used for. It is going to be easy to melt it.

Dean

SawDustSniffer
4th August 2013, 08:38 PM
pure zinc shrinks a lot
7000 series alloys are zinc based , i was making some end caps for a home made Air Ram and added 8%zinc and 4% copper to extruded ( 99.9%) aluminum , dam its hard , and machines well , nice ring to it when struck as well

the difference between copper and brass is only the zinc added , bronze is Tin

with straight zinc , you have to watch the shrinkage , shrink bobs nice and close to thick parts to feed in extra metal as it cools , the surface finish is way better than aluminum , and it will flow into thinner areas easier , its good stuff , machines better than most aluminiums

its a lot heaver than aluminum , but what do you make thats weight critical ? , its a dull grey , 90% of people would not know , and even more would not care what its made of , zinc is good

Extruded aluminum is pretty well pure 98% at the worst , but they will add Magnesium ( less than 1 % ) , less than 1% silicon ,or Manganese , a lot of it is 1000 series , i called "carpil " the makers of the scrap i get ( window manufacture off cuts ) and they said they use 3050 aluminum , so its a good start to know what alloy it is , the trace elements 1%manganese , 0.5%silicon , 0.2% magnesium , are common to most alloys
Pure aluminum dose not cast well , its thick and gluggy and freezes quick , aluminum from cast parts of unknown alloy would be better than pure aluminium , as the manufacture knows what he's doing and byes ingots of selected alloy that cast well , engine heads would be the best machinable , bell housing aluminum proberly wont machine up as well , but would have better structural stiffness , lawn mowers ? the last one i sledge hammered apart i put in my Zamak ( zinc / aluminum ) pile , was not impressed ( guess that it was zinc , but it was definitely not majority aluminum )

Watch out for Magnesium , its all fun and games until , you destroy your crucible , furnace , and burn a hole to china , even worse would be if some one seeing the magnesium fire decides to squirt water on it , if you ever get one , just agree . your crucible / furnace wont survive , and watch it burn , dont move it , squirt it with water , oh and make shore you start your furnace in an area where a problem like that wont matter

scratch up a suspect peace with a screw driver , and put vinegar on it , if it foams , dont put it in your furnace , trace magnesium in low % is fine
i once noticed a lighter coloured heat sink in the " about too melt " pile , it just looked sus , and it misses out being fried , later i vinegar tested it and it was magnesium ,

dont forget
http://i1033.photobucket.com/albums/a413/aussieCFviolin/PPE2_zps0ae9f5c4.jpg (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A796N_YZTm8&feature=youtu.be.html)
click on the banner to see some students get splattered in molten aluminum ( utube )

and a bit of good reading
http://i1033.photobucket.com/albums/a413/aussieCFviolin/SCROLL_zps5d100a1c.jpg (http://www.alloyavenue.com/vb/showthread.php?2469-Foundry-Tutorial-Book.html)
click on the banner

degassing of your aluminum is a different topic , but when you melt aluminium it absorbs hydrogen , and the hydrogen forms bubbles as the aluminium cools , bubbling argon through it works , but i use "Pool Shock " chlorine , wrapped in al foil , ( make sure its dry, leave near the exaust hole to heat above 120c ) , and plunged to the bottom of the crucible in a graphite tube , you have about 7 seconds to run , the chlorine bonds with the hydrogen and come to the surface where it pops in a blue flame , spitting molten aluminium at you , after 30 seconds it calms down , and just chlorine powder comes to the top( no blue flames , still pops ) , if it keeps popping all the way through , a second " pool shock " wrap is needed , i use 4 tablespoons of chlorine to a full A10 crucible of aluminum

Oldneweng
4th August 2013, 10:16 PM
I have a heat sink, as mentioned previously that I am not sure about! I will test it and any other suspect bits with vinegar.

Dean

SawDustSniffer
6th August 2013, 05:55 PM
forgot to say some thing about " zinc fumes " there nasty , not too bad at aluminum temps , but at copper temps , zinc will fume as a white smoke , dont breath it in , it will mess with you , they say a lot of milk helps , best not to breath it in , a P100 filter in a respirator works

eskimo
12th August 2013, 02:31 PM
What you would have created here is soldering fluid. Another thing I did not think of until reminded. What is happenning to my brain? Don't answer.

Dean

"killed spirits" if I recall correctly

Oldneweng
12th August 2013, 05:04 PM
"killed spirits" if I recall correctly

Thats the one! I knew the "killed" part but could not remember the "spirits" part!

Dean

TKO
15th August 2013, 10:37 PM
I always thought that you can tell aluminium with a magnet it wont pick it up,

Eddie

Master Splinter
15th August 2013, 11:32 PM
Austenitic grades of stainless steel are also non-magnetic.

BobL
15th August 2013, 11:39 PM
I always thought that you can tell aluminium with a magnet it wont pick it up, Eddie

It's not a good test because most metals are nonmagnetic.

A really neat way to test for Al is using Bromoform because Al will float in it whereas almost all other metals will not.
To discriminate between Al and Mg the heavy liquid to use is Dibromomethane (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dibromomethane) , Mg floats but Al sinks.
Unfortunately these chemicals a pretty toxic so you need a fume hood to handle them

jhovel
16th August 2013, 12:21 AM
BobL beat me to it, TKO, aluminium, zinc, tin, magnesium, titanium and many many other metals look alike and none of them are magnetic. In fact only iron and nickel containing metal alloys CAN be magnetic (if I remember correctly).

TKO
17th August 2013, 10:38 PM
http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff365/aussieddie/003.jpg

Thanks for putting me right on the methods ,I always thought that the magnetic test was the way to go,the photo above is a variety of off cuts given to me the other day,and those marked are not magnetic the bright steel looking ones are I think Stainless steel, and not magnetic they have rust which I think is because they have been stored with the rusty steel for many years and it wipes clean with a cloth, the Brass pieces are two inch in dia and the large round pieces are aluminium, I can't tell if the brass pieces are bronze or brass, I have several other longish shafts in molasses up to 2 1/2inchs in dia,,some are very tough and most are mild steel, the oblong piece of steel is 3 x3 x5/1/2 inches, could make some nice big nuts, I'm learning still.

Thanks Eddie.

Oldneweng
18th August 2013, 10:33 AM
Snip

Thanks for putting me right on the methods ,I always thought that the magnetic test was the way to go,the photo above is a variety of off cuts given to me the other day,and those marked are not magnetic the bright steel looking ones are I think Stainless steel, and not magnetic they have rust which I think is because they have been stored with the rusty steel for many years and it wipes clean with a cloth, the Brass pieces are two inch in dia and the large round pieces are aluminium, I can't tell if the brass pieces are bronze or brass, I have several other longish shafts in molasses up to 2 1/2inchs in dia,,some are very tough and most are mild steel, the oblong piece of steel is 3 x3 x5/1/2 inches, could make some nice big nuts, I'm learning still.

Thanks Eddie.

Some stainless steel is magnetic, some isn't. Depends on the grade. When induction hardening many years ago we had to use SS hose clamps to avoid them heating up and melting the hoses. I was surprised to be asked to harden a SS piece. Another learning experience. I pick up lots of SS and other fasteners at work, left on the ground etc. I use a magnet sometimes as a check with these when sorting. SS can be stained with rust from other pieces but it will not rust. It oxidises and this oxidation looks like rust but it is not. Mostly cosmetic, except in the food industry. Hence the need to pickle it after welding etc.

I am hopeless when it comes to brass, bronze etc. I have not had a lot to do with anything but brass and copper.

Dean