PDA

View Full Version : Wooden Balls - hollow tube tool

steamingbill
4th August 2013, 08:45 PM
See attached scan - from a metalworking book discussing making wooden balls on metal lathe - so the fast speeds he mentioned wouldnt be terribly fast by wood lathe standards.

Anybody done this ? I was wondering if I might end up wearing the hollow tube embedded into my hand ?

Suppose I could put a proper handle on it for starters

Bill

RETIRED
4th August 2013, 09:13 PM
Heaps of people Phil.:D

Skew ChiDAMN!!
4th August 2013, 10:02 PM
:whs::D

I've made a few of 'em in various sizes and they work very, very well at making a nicely proportioned sphere. Not so good at the finishing cut, but no tool will do everything.

Just be aware that the first time you use one it'll be noisy, probably chatter like hell until you get the piece roughly rounded... and you'll probably wish you had worn brown pants. ;)

You will also want to make sure that the ID of the pipe is always at least 10% smaller than the OD of the sphere you're turning. Otherwise the piece can wedge inside the tube, converting the pipe (and any attached handle) into a whirling dervish. Like a ninja, it'll get you before you even know you have a problem. DAMHIKT. :(

Kidbee
4th August 2013, 10:07 PM
Saw Guilio Marcolongo use a stainless steel one at one of the Woodshows at Brisbane where he was turning balls and then cutting them in half to make spoons.

steamingbill
4th August 2013, 11:52 PM
Thanks,

will have a go at this ......

Bill

Rippa
5th August 2013, 12:09 AM
Grind the teeth off a metal cutting hole saw then bolt a handle on it through the hole in the top, works a treat, I have a range of sizes in my workshop.
Sharpen them by rubbing them on an oil stone.

Rippa