PDA

View Full Version : Sucks the chrome off a tow ball!!

MajorPanic
18th May 2005, 09:18 PM
I'm well pleased with the new DC.
After a few modifications it has excellent suckability. :D :D :D
I primarily bought it to handle the output from the dual-drum sander but I'm sure it'll handle the whole workshop with ease. :cool:

http://www.majorpanic.com/images/woodwork/BB/toy-3.jpg

numbat
18th May 2005, 09:34 PM
My the collector is high - it is lucky that you have some headroom in your shed.

Are you planning to put in permanent dc piping?

Cheers

Groggy
18th May 2005, 09:35 PM
I'm well pleased with the new DC.
After a few modifications it has excellent suckability. :D :D :D
I primarily bought it to handle the output from the dual-drum sander but I'm sure it'll handle the whole workshop with ease. :cool: Whoo hoo! What a beast! Two thoughts spring to mind:

1. Keep a door or window open to stop the shed from imploding :)

2. You better keep the cat away from that thing (unless you want the pipes cleaned).

Rusty
18th May 2005, 09:39 PM
And if it starts shouting "Exterminate!" in a grating, metallic voice- run.

Up the stairs.;)

Rus.

MajorPanic
18th May 2005, 10:17 PM
Are you planning to put in permanent dc piping?
G'day Numbat,

Yeh, I'm planing on putting in 6" steel pipe throughout the workshop......... if... I can work out the final positions for the machines. :confused:
Trial & error is such a pain in the ***** when moving machines around. :eek:

NewLou
18th May 2005, 11:50 PM
You Know Major

The next thing you'll be knocking up is a Cyclone!!!!

REgards Lou :D:D:D:D:D

Woodlice
19th May 2005, 02:43 AM
I was just gonna ask about a cyclone... all that effort getting a decent DC and your gonna let it get dirty?????

namtrak
19th May 2005, 09:11 AM
............it has excellent suckability. :D :D :D........

:rolleyes:

Keeping in mind the 'apple pie' scene from American Pie, I just hope that SWMBO doesn't walk in on you - or if she does she has a digi cam with her!

Urk

outback
19th May 2005, 10:25 AM
I'm still waiting to hear about the mod's. Did you add a V8 or what? :D

bitingmidge
19th May 2005, 10:56 AM
Yeh, I'm planing on putting in 6" steel pipe throughout the workshop.
I'd race ya, except I've had an 18 month head start and it wouldn't be fair, I'll need at least another six months if I have any chance!

;)
Cheers,

P

MajorPanic
19th May 2005, 10:59 AM
Yo Outback!!

This is what I did;

Cut out the metal cross pieces (that stop big stuff) in all 4 of the intakes.
Removed the 6 metal fingers in the impeller housing that stop you sticking your hand into the blades.
I used 'Y' junctions to turn the 4 inlets into 2 inlets. http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon14.gif
There was a noticable increase in the volume of air it now moves. The machine really doesn't like operating on only 1 inlet.

MajorPanic
19th May 2005, 11:02 AM
I'd race ya, except I've had an 18 month head start and it wouldn't be fair, I'll need at least another six months if I have any chance!

Hey Midge, you are in with a BIG chance!! :D :D :D

Al B
19th May 2005, 11:39 AM
Hey Major That looks like one bad boy of a DC :D

Yeh, I'm planing on putting in 6" steel pipe throughout the workshop......... if... I can work out the final positions for the machines.

I'm doing the same thing and still deciding where to run the duct work. I have started making patterns for some of the sheetmetal work. Which I will get around to finishing one day!! :D

Al B
19th May 2005, 11:42 AM
One more pic! :D :D

MajorPanic
19th May 2005, 01:53 PM
Hey Al B,

It looks like you know what you are doing! ;) :D
Which is the opposite to me. :eek:

Oh.... by the way, stop showing me up!! :p :D :D :D

ryanarcher
19th May 2005, 02:41 PM
Wow! awesome!
Did you lay a slab in your shop? where are you going to run the duct work? for my next shop i think i'll definately run the dc pipes under the floor, but would like to know what ingeneous solution you will use to keep the 6" pipes out of the way. are you going to put it in a humpy? (I just wanted to say humpy :D)
-Ryan

MajorPanic
19th May 2005, 03:45 PM
Wow! awesome!
Did you lay a slab in your shop? where are you going to run the duct work? for my next shop i think i'll definately run the dc pipes under the floor, but would like to know what ingeneous solution you will use to keep the 6" pipes out of the way. are you going to put it in a humpy? (I just wanted to say humpy :D)
-Ryan G'day Ryan,

You can see the pictures of the slab/shed going up by clicking HERE (http://www.majorpanic.com/shed.htm)(seems like a long time ago now http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon5.gif)
The ductwork will all be run along the underside of the shed roof to keep it out of the way. I'll just put in droppers to each machine as needed. ;)

You are really an Aussie; Humpy :D http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon14.gif hahahahaha

You are also correct I'll build a humpy for the unit & 2 X 200ltr (44gal) plastic drums I'll use as seperators. :cool:

outback
19th May 2005, 04:48 PM
Thanks for the mods, I kinda guessed you'd take aout the grills etc. Hadn't thought about the "Y"s though.

Well maybe one day when I'm rich and famous I'll be able to do simimlar. :D

joez
19th May 2005, 06:45 PM
Hi Major, that DC looks great, do you really need a 3hp DC for your drum sander?

I am thinking of getting one (Drumsander MS-25) but I only have a 2HP 1200CFM DC and I dont want to replace it unless I really have too.

TIA
Joe

MajorPanic
19th May 2005, 08:34 PM
Hi Major, that DC looks great, do you really need a 3hp DC for your drum sander?

I am thinking of getting one (Drumsander MS-25) but I only have a 2HP 1200CFM DC and I dont want to replace it unless I really have too.

TIA
Joe
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news Joe, :o

The MS25 needs at least 2000CFM to work properly.

I used to use a 1200CFM 2hp model & the belts clogged VERY quickly. 3 passes on a reasonable size panel & I'd have to clean the drums with one of those rubber cleaner sticks & you HAD to run the feeder belt speed flat out. :eek: Otherwise the belts would clog & would leave a burn mark on the timber. :mad:

With more air being withdrawn from the sander I've slowed the feed speed right down & am getting a finer finish.http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon14.gif I have been running a 80/120 grit belt combination (with the 1200CFM) but now I'll try 120/180 combo :D
All the stuff I sand has been put through the thicknesser so I can use fine grit belts.

joez
20th May 2005, 09:45 AM
Thanks Major, youve saved me a lot of frustration in the future!

I think i'll look more closely at the larger performax single drum sanders.

Joe

Bob Willson
20th May 2005, 12:20 PM
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news Joe, :o

The MS25 needs at least 2000CFM to work properly.

I used to use a 1200CFM 2hp model & the belts clogged VERY quickly. 3 passes on a reasonable size panel & I'd have to clean the drums with one of those rubber cleaner sticks & you HAD to run the feeder belt speed flat out. :eek: Otherwise the belts would clog & would leave a burn mark on the timber. :mad:

With more air being withdrawn from the sander I've slowed the feed speed right down & am getting a finer finish.http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon14.gif I have been running a 80/120 grit belt combination (with the 1200CFM) but now I'll try 120/180 combo :D
All the stuff I sand has been put through the thicknesser so I can use fine grit belts.

Damn. Is that why I sometimes get burn marks from the sander? I don't want to spend more money on dust removal, :( I want to spend it on new tools.

Harry72
20th May 2005, 11:07 PM
Major, are those two flexi you are connecting the sander with 4"?
I dont think 2x4" could flow 2000cfm?