PDA

View Full Version : Burl Mirror

turnerted
9th August 2013, 05:42 PM
G'day
I was inspired by a posting by Willy Nelson a couple of months ago of his burl mirrors,so I decided to have a go.
The burl is red mallee and the maximum dimension is just under 400mm.
The finish is DO.
The second picture shows the two bowls that I got out of the centre along with the mirror.
Ted

artme
9th August 2013, 06:21 PM
Very nice indeed!!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Christos
9th August 2013, 06:43 PM
Very nice piece.

dai sensei
9th August 2013, 07:38 PM
I like it :cool:

So good to see the centre just didn't turn into sawdust :2tsup:

mick59wests
9th August 2013, 10:04 PM
as usual, excellent stuff. Also, I like that the cetre was used - and very nicely

cheers

Mick

Willy Nelson
9th August 2013, 11:43 PM
Wow
Yours look so much better, Well Done

Sincerely
Willy

turnerted
11th August 2013, 05:41 PM
Thanks for the comments.
Willy you are too modest.
Mirrors must be cheaper in WA. This is the second one I made. The first one I made the recess about 8mm larger than the hole and when I went to get the mirror cut ,the glazier quoted me $45.At this stage I had to accept it . When I went to collect it,he showed me the two he broke trying to cut it and pointed out it would be much cheaper if it was straight cuts.This one I made the recess about 20 mm wide and was able to fit an octogen into it and the price dropped to $25.
I have now discovered 300mm glass tiles at Ikea. A pack of four for $15. I just have to learn how to cut them.
Ted

smiife
11th August 2013, 07:10 PM
hi ted,
very nice,three out of one,well done
cheers smiife:2tsup:

Willy Nelson
12th August 2013, 11:34 PM
Thanks for the comments.
Willy you are too modest.
Mirrors must be cheaper in WA. This is the second one I made. The first one I made the recess about 8mm larger than the hole and when I went to get the mirror cut ,the glazier quoted me $45.At this stage I had to accept it . When I went to collect it,he showed me the two he broke trying to cut it and pointed out it would be much cheaper if it was straight cuts.This one I made the recess about 20 mm wide and was able to fit an octogen into it and the price dropped to $25.
I have now discovered 300mm glass tiles at Ikea. A pack of four for $15. I just have to learn how to cut them.
Ted

Hello Ted
My local glazier cuts the mirror into an octagon shape, then uses a linisher to 'round' it. I always leave the burl with him so he can test his fit. I reckon someone will sell round mirros, somewhere
Willy
Jarrahland