PDA

View Full Version : Old smell in Built in wardrobes

Peter G
19th May 2005, 02:24 PM
Renovating a bedroom and it contains well made built in wardrobes. Tas oak with dowell jointed framing covered in plywood. There is an old smell to the robes, not quite musty but is effects the clothes that are stored there. Any ideas as to how to combat the smell. I read where they could be lined with cedar to fix it but this would be a very expensive approach after doing the measurement calculations. I am open for suggestions folks.
Regards
Peter G

Iain
19th May 2005, 03:09 PM
Something generates the mustiness, have a look at carpet/underlay if there is any, try spraying some diluted bleach on the walls and wipe clean, this will destroy any bacteria (for a while anyway) that is causing the smell.
SWMBO also places slices of lemon in water in room to get rid of odours, if it's a bit stronger she puts in half an onion.
I just sit back and let her go but it seems to work..except in the bathroom and that is due to lack of adequate ventilation (which could also be the cause).

Sturdee
19th May 2005, 03:43 PM
A shoebox with half a dozen cakes of nice soap left in the bottom will get rid of the smell.

Peter.

julianx
19th May 2005, 04:07 PM
try clearing out the skeletons

adrian
19th May 2005, 04:18 PM
I have the same problem.
Have a look at DampRid which you can get at most supermarkets. It's amazing the amount of water it can suck out of the air.
The smells will also build up because the area is dark and there's no air movement. You can buy plastic vents at hardware stores that are easy to install and will get air moving if they can be installed top and bottom. If the carpet extends into the cupboard it's a good idea to cut it out because it rarely gets vacuumed.
Hope that helps.

Iain
19th May 2005, 04:49 PM
A bit of sunlight helps too if you can open windows on a fine day.
I'm betting this room is on the dark side of the house with little natural ventilation......
Another trick is an open box of bicarb of soda, which will act a bit like damp rid.

Jacksin
19th May 2005, 07:42 PM
I found the same problem with a linen closet that had been used for many months to store excess clean towels and linen etc. I put it down to the stale soapy smell from the linen.

We washed everything again and sprinkled a few drops of Nilodour (available at the supermarket) on the shelves.
Jack ;)

Caliban
19th May 2005, 08:53 PM
As a drastic last measure you can paint it internally.

Grunt
19th May 2005, 09:08 PM
Take your old socks out.

soundman
19th May 2005, 10:26 PM
light & air circulation would be a good start.
Throw open the curtains & point a fan in there for a few days.

johnc
19th May 2005, 11:54 PM
You mentioned lining with cedar, my wife actually bought some 1" cedar balls for the drawers and linen press from somewhere to keep any mustiness at bay. Along with all the other remedies I've been told that placing a pot of African violets in the cupboard will also get rid of the smell but never tried it myself

JohnC

soundman
21st May 2005, 12:22 AM
Just a thaught.
Do you or anyone you know turn camfer laurel?
If so fill a sock of chips & chuck it in there.

I saw a crafty bliter who sifted & bagged his camfer laurel waste & sold it as pot pouri.

rodm
21st May 2005, 12:48 AM
Check your eaves around the area and your ceiling in case there is a bit of moisture.

Iain
21st May 2005, 09:34 AM
That brings back memories of a damp smelling room we used to have, it was a cracked tile that we could not see.

Peter G
23rd May 2005, 12:16 PM
Thanks for the suggestions folks. I think air circulation will help the situation and I will try some of the other recommendations. As for moving the skeletons thats a bit more involved isn't it.

Thanks
Peter G