PDA

View Full Version : Wher to start?

gdf26562
10th August 2013, 01:36 PM
I received this lump today, and as you can see the branch is part of the burl(?), I have no idea where to start, I would appreciatte some advice, possibly incorporating the branch, I am unsure as to what the timber is, but feels heavy and dense.

Cheers
Graham

gdf26562
10th August 2013, 01:40 PM
Sorry, I think this should be in the wood turning.

DaveTTC
10th August 2013, 02:32 PM
I ad a similar one which I turned into a bowl and added spiral carving. By the tiime I was done thee was no sign of the branch anymore.

what did you want to do with your one?

turnerted
10th August 2013, 06:09 PM
Graham
You don't specify the size of this. If it is not too big I would be tempted to try a natural edge bowl with the branch across the top of the bowl.
It looks like you could hold it between centres by fully opening the jaws of your chuck and resting the branch in the groove between the jaws and hold the other end with the live centre.Probably best to trim the longer side of the branch so it is roughly the length of the other side.I would then cut a tennon at the tail stock end.
Shape the outside of the bowl leaving a flange at the top about 10mm thick and cutting into the underside of the branch.
Reverse the bowl and hollow out and shape the upper side of the flange. Hopefully you will end up with a flange with a slice of the branch running through it.
Best of luck. Watch your fingers. I look forward to seeing what ever you make out of it.
Ted

hughie
10th August 2013, 09:27 PM
Graham
You don't specify the size of this. If it is not too big I would be tempted to try a natural edge bowl with the branch across the top of the bowl.
It looks like you could hold it between centres by fully opening the jaws of your chuck and resting the branch in the groove between the jaws and hold the other end with the live centre.Probably best to trim the longer side of the branch so it is roughly the length of the other side.I would then cut a tennon at the tail stock end.
Shape the outside of the bowl leaving a flange at the top about 10mm thick and cutting into the underside of the branch.
Reverse the bowl and hollow out and shape the upper side of the flange. Hopefully you will end up with a flange with a slice of the branch running through it.
Best of luck. Watch your fingers. I look forward to seeing what ever you make out of it.
Ted

I would go with this as well. :2tsup:

dai sensei
10th August 2013, 09:55 PM
How big is it? Could be a gall or a mistletoe

powderpost
10th August 2013, 10:54 PM
Graham
Ted
I did one like this a while back. Did much the same as Ted suggested. The sapwood around the branch formed a "lip" around the opening in the top, looked like a clam shell. Was rather nice.

Jim

gdf26562
11th August 2013, 10:16 AM
Thanks guys

It is slightly smaller than a soccer ball, and I would like to somehow keep the branch, I will give Turnerteds suggestion a go, although I might have to get a bigger chuck than I have now, but will give it a go, as the say, "A feint heart never won a fat chicken."

bowl-basher
11th August 2013, 01:08 PM
I turned one a bit like that a few years ago the pics are in the post "mistletoe" started by me sorry I don't know how to link it to this post
Regards
Bowl-Basher

powderpost
11th August 2013, 08:09 PM
Thanks guys

It is slightly smaller than a soccer ball, and I would like to somehow keep the branch, I will give Turnerteds suggestion a go, although I might have to get a bigger chuck than I have now, but will give it a go, as the say, "A feint heart never won a fat chicken."
Start with two strategically placed screws through a face plate into the branch. Turn the back to the shape you like, include the foot to suit. Remove and screw a sacrificial block to the face plate and turn it to exactly the same size as the foot and glue the bowl on to the waste block. Now go for it.
Have a look at the vase WIP I did recently.

Jim

powderpost
14th August 2013, 09:03 PM
This is a photo of the bowl I mentioned in the previous post. I had to take a photo of the original photo, so it is not that flash. The original tree trunk is visible horizontally, the sapwood forms the white "lip" around the opening. From memory the bowl was about 150mm diameter.
Jim