PDA

View Full Version : Pallet Challenge 2013 - Announcements (Winners and those that took part)

Christos
11th August 2013, 12:16 PM
Dear Wood Work Forums Members

I wish to firstly thank you for you consideration in casting your vote. I wish to thank the members for taking some time to create something out of a pallet.

The Pallet Challenge was to get members involved with a bit of a fun activity. It was also a way of looking at pallets in a different way. I hope this has inspired people to think differently.

There are two parts to the voting one will be with the members of the forum and the second will be with the judges who were selected because they are very different in their thoughts. The combination of these will determine the winners.

Please vote at the top of this page because every vote counts and could be the difference between first and second.

Note: As I have been organizing this challenge I will not be able to vote as I alone am aware of who submitted their creations. I have done this so that everyone can vote including members, the moderators and those that created their items.

Post Judging

The participation of the voting members was great to see. I wish to thank the anonymous judges for their participation as in the end it was a very tight race.

Thank you

Christos

Christos
11th August 2013, 12:22 PM
captainkirk

280578 280579 280580 280581 280582

Christos
11th August 2013, 12:24 PM
:balloons: 2nd Place - corbs :balloons:

280583 280584 280585 280586 280587

Christos
11th August 2013, 12:24 PM
Terryvk6pq

280588 280589 280590 280591 280592

Christos
11th August 2013, 12:25 PM
coffenup

280594 280595

Christos
11th August 2013, 12:27 PM
Gazaly

280596 280597 280598 280599 280600

Christos
11th August 2013, 12:28 PM
3rd Place - asheddie :chase:

280871280874 280872 280876 280877

Christos
11th August 2013, 12:28 PM
:fireworks:1st Place - Sebastiaan56 :fireworks:

280729 280730 280731 280732 280733

DaveTTC
12th August 2013, 01:46 PM
looking good, as woodturner I have an opinion, as the father of a musician I a have an opinion, as a carpenter and joiner I have an opinion, as a recycler I have an opinion. Now which one to go with .....

when does voting close (I better go back and read the 1st post just incase I read over it)

19 August

If you're on an app you need to look at this post in desktop view to vote

A Duke
12th August 2013, 02:15 PM
:?
There are 2 No 2 and no NO 3 on the voting list.
:wink:
Cheers

wheelinround
12th August 2013, 02:33 PM
All excellent entries the judges will have a hard time deciding on this one.:2tsup:

I like the little hints in each of the photos as to whom the entrant must be. This of course would mean that you would have to check other photos they have submitted to the forum or know them personally. :doh:

DaveTTC
12th August 2013, 02:42 PM
All excellent entries the judges will have a hard time deciding on this one.:2tsup:

I like the little hints in each of the photos as to whom the entrant must be. This of course would mean that you would have to check other photos they have submitted to the forum or know them personally. :doh:

I just dont know which one to rate a 12 ;)

tea lady
12th August 2013, 03:34 PM
That wine rack already has dust on it. I thought things had to be made in the time? :hmm:

DSEL74
12th August 2013, 04:13 PM
What is entry number 4? I can see only two photos is there something missing???

RETIRED
12th August 2013, 05:10 PM
:?
There are 2 No 2 and no NO 3 on the voting list.
:wink:
CheersFixed.

Christos
12th August 2013, 08:20 PM
What is entry number 4? I can see only two photos is there something missing???

This is as far as entry number 4 got. I got them to send the photos, so I could uploaded them.

CAG
12th August 2013, 09:28 PM
2..7...7....2.....7......4?

And the winner is ........! :no:

DaveTTC
12th August 2013, 09:59 PM
2..7...7....2.....7......4?

And the winner is ........! :no:

corbs
12th August 2013, 10:00 PM
Congratulations to all who entered. I love seeing what people are capable of producing with something as simple as a crappy pallet :2tsup:

coffenup
12th August 2013, 10:18 PM
yes congrats to all the contestants and congrats to who ever wins
And a huge thanks to the forum & the people that ran this contest :clap::clap::clap:
regards Michael

Ozziespur
13th August 2013, 11:06 AM
Only 7 entries ? :no:

Ok I promise to enter the next pallet challenge, even if it is just to make up the numbers. Great job for those that did enter. :2tsup:

I might even get a sympathy vote or 2.:D

Sebastiaan56
13th August 2013, 11:28 AM
Well done to all entrants as well. I would have liked 27 lots of work to look at but at least we have some.

Fuzzie
13th August 2013, 12:24 PM
I like them all (well perhaps not 4). However perhaps being overly bureaucratic I'm concerned about voting for an entry which apparently doesn't meet ALL the rules, including seeing a picture of the THE pallet that was the starting point. Seemed a simply enough requirement given the comp timeframe and rules.

I know, I know.... Uncle Grumpy.

Christos
13th August 2013, 02:42 PM
The last time we had a pallet challenge was about three years ago. We had one of the members submit their entry that was still in the back of trailer. (No it did not win)

Discussion is always good as we find out how people think and what could be created.

Christos
13th August 2013, 02:47 PM
....Ok I promise to enter the next pallet challenge, .....

Cool I will keep you in mind. :U

rwbuild
13th August 2013, 07:28 PM
Pallest ? in the view results voting section.............um?????

A Duke
14th August 2013, 09:38 PM
:bump::bump2:

Christos
17th August 2013, 12:20 AM
Only a few more days before the voting closes.

Christos
17th August 2013, 06:10 PM
Go to the top of the page and cast your vote.

I only see 62 people who have voted and I know that there are a lot more active members on this forum. Everyone who is a member of this forum can vote.

Christos
19th August 2013, 12:51 PM
I wish to thank everyone who voted. The polling is now closed for the general members.

Please give me some time for me to receive and look at the anonymous judges results. Once these have been processed I will publish the results.

Thank you

RicB
19th August 2013, 04:53 PM
Once these have been processed I will publish the results.

Thank you

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTDrr9r5UcVFzhDmtOgP-EUSD-U60FdddVo99Xt2ZldYO4FYJA2

Evanism
19th August 2013, 07:21 PM
Shame I didn't get time. My life has been pretty crappy over the last 3 weeks.

I'm still going to make it a personal challenge though.

Ev

corbs
20th August 2013, 08:37 PM
Are we there yet? :D

RicB
21st August 2013, 02:27 AM
A pallet video whilst we wait for the results -
Pallet drink coasters made from, well, pallets! Easy to make. - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_8Z9OOGG34&feature=c4-overview-vl&list=PL2Y7G15DrVt4ocjNs64msoKQcKmqPEjTK)

A Duke
21st August 2013, 04:18 PM
:2tsup:
Congratulations all round.
Regards

wheelinround
21st August 2013, 04:22 PM
Well done all.

Congrats to the winners. There are some interesting works I must say never seen a Euke made from one.

Well done Christos :2tsup: you had a tough road to make this one work the works presented show how much can be done with waste wood.

asheddie
21st August 2013, 05:20 PM
Thanks for the votes, I'm amazed I got 3rd. I've already got some ideas for the next challenge:rolleyes:
Regards,
Ash.

DaveTTC
21st August 2013, 05:40 PM
congratulations to all that made the effort for what your time allowed you to do. There is some great work and a hard call there.

Christos
21st August 2013, 05:54 PM
I would like to say a few things in regards to the Pallet Challenge.

I firstly wish to Thank Ubeaut for the donation of the first and the second prizes. The third place prize was donated by one of the member and wishes to remain anonymous.

I also wish to thank the anonymous judges for there consideration and time. Of course the anonymous judges will now be now known as The Anoneemi, the secret society of anonymous judges. Only problem I see is they do not know who was in the society. :q I would think it would be very hard to make up the secret handshake. :U

I would also like to thank the members who took part in the challenge including those that were not able to complete their projects.

I also wish to thank the members of this forum that make this challenge possible.

Thank you

Christos

doug3030
21st August 2013, 07:40 PM
congratulations to the winners, and indeed all who took part. When I get my shed space back I will have a go myself next time, even if I know the competition will be tough.

Just one question - where is the photo of the pallet that the winning entry was made from? I thought that was in the rules :?

Doug

coffenup
21st August 2013, 09:09 PM
Congrats to the winners & the forum & christos & the judges:yourock2::clap:
As for my entry I wish to explain after 2 ops in june 2013 one on my back and the other on my hand. I got so far and hurt my back was put on sick leave from work with double pain management for a further week. I could only do that I had done. I wished to get further along but to no avail. I was not going to operate any machinery high on pain killers to bloody dangerous. I will show the project when its finished
many thanks for reading and who voted for me
Regards Michael

A Duke
21st August 2013, 09:22 PM
congratulations to the winners, and indeed all who took part. When I get my shed space back I will have a go myself next time, even if I know the competition will be tough.

Just one question - where is the photo of the pallet that the winning entry was made from? I thought that was in the rules :?

DougOn that point which was the ONE used in entry no 3?
We all know what a pallet looks like, we wanted to see the pallet.
Regards

coffenup
21st August 2013, 10:01 PM
On that point which was the ONE used in entry no 3?
We all know what a pallet looks like, we wanted to see the pallet.
Regards

that's a point

Christos
21st August 2013, 10:10 PM
....Just one question - where is the photo of the pallet that the winning entry was made from? I thought that was in the rules :?

Doug

It is and there was a pallet. When I uploaded the photos I selected the wrong one, when this was brought to my attention it was too late to redo the photos.

doug3030
21st August 2013, 11:53 PM
It is and there was a pallet. When I uploaded the photos I selected the wrong one, when this was brought to my attention it was too late to redo the photos.

ok so how does this work?

the rules said:

"Please send in 5 photos of your project, including a photo of the pallet you picked up. All pictures must be sent via email to Christos on or before the finishing time and date, 6pm 10th August 2013."

So, did everyone send in 5 photos as per the rules or did some flaunt the rules and send in more than 5 and let the organizer pick out which ones to present?

I do think that the winning entry was a fine piece of work. I am just querying the process that has gone on to come to the conclusion that they are the winner.

The way I interpret the rules is that the the competitor is responsible for selecting 5 photos and submitting them. Not submitting god knows how many photos in the hope that the judges will see more than any other project or leaving it up to the organizer to determine which photos are best.

Maybe for contests such as this the rule should be that if five photos are required then the first five photos uploaded are teh ones to be used and all others are not to be presented to the judges, and the organizer ensures that all entries meet the rules or they are disqualified.

RicB
22nd August 2013, 12:34 AM
ok so how does this work?

the rules said:

:oo:http://i56.tinypic.com/2dudpbr.jpg

Christos
22nd August 2013, 02:21 AM
.....So, did everyone send in 5 photos as per the rules or did some flaunt the rules and send in more than 5 and let the organizer pick out which ones to present?

The way I interpret the rules is that the the competitor is responsible for selecting 5 photos and submitting them. Not submitting god knows how many photos in the hope that the judges will see more than any other project or leaving it up to the organizer to determine which photos are best.......

Very good point. So in answering this query I will start by saying that I was not a judge. I was the only person that received the photos and saw who was sending them. So that prevented me from being a judge and also prevented me from voting.

The anonymous judges were selected from the forum members. They were asked to judge via the photos on the forum. They did not see anything extra other than the photos posted in the thread. As I have created the thread and posted the photos I made the mistake and selected the wrong photo, As it was already posted and people had started to vote it would not have been appropriate to redo the photos, it would be like changing the field while throwing the Frisbee.

...........Maybe for contests such as this the rule should be that if five photos are required then the first five photos uploaded are teh ones to be used ......

I do not agree with this. We all know how technology behaves(logically) and sometimes the first five photos might not contain anything.

corbs
22nd August 2013, 07:44 AM
Second... that's better than 11th :D

Thanks very much for running this competition Christos and to Ubeaut and Anonymous who provided prizes. I certainly didn't enter the competition with any intention of winning anything. I just saw it as an opportunity to try something new and pit my skills (:rolleyes:) against fellow woodies constrained in the same manner.

I don't think we achieve anything by asking questions about how individuals participated, it's happened and nothing will change that now.

DaveTTC
22nd August 2013, 11:40 AM
Second... that's better than 11th :D

I don't think we achieve anything by asking questions about how individuals participated, it's happened and nothing will change that now.
+1

It was a great thing. Well done for organising it Christos. There is always gonna be some things that could be done different, I see it every time I finish a job.

Nice to concentrate on what was done, all the finished projects are an inspiration. Just because one won does not take away from what others achieved

Ok next time we better do one from a soap box instead of a pallet lol say I as I get off mine ;)

A Duke
22nd August 2013, 12:06 PM
Hi all,
These competitions are supposed to be fun. :D
The technicality I pointed out earlier was to tip off future conveners how I felt.
As for extra shots, there can be a reason and one should be able to expect the convener to do the right thing. Eg for entry #5 in the hinged box section of the 2011 box challenge I sent an alternate shot with lose change instead of what the box was for, in case someone got a bit prudish.
Regards
Ps we still have not had the fun we had last time when the fun nearly got forgotten.

Sebastiaan56
22nd August 2013, 06:56 PM
So my thanks as well, to Christos, the anonymous judges, the forum folk who voted and the other competitors. I certainly didn't enter to win anything but to see what could be done. I really like all of the other entries, I can't make furniture for love nor money and my turning skills aren't squat either.

I'll write a longer post in the musical instruments forum on the build as there are a number of technical details worth further attention, suffice to say there are very good reasons instrument bodies are not made of spruce.

Did anyone else notice a dearth of hardwood pallets?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Cliff Rogers
22nd August 2013, 07:23 PM

asheddie
1st September 2013, 10:59 AM
I got my Bunnings vouchers in the mail,
Thank you very much.

Ash.:U

Christos
2nd September 2013, 10:36 PM
I got my Bunnings vouchers in the mail,
Thank you very much.

Ash.:U

Exxxccceeelllent

flynnsart
10th September 2013, 10:45 PM
Oh a pallet challenge, well done everyone, some lovely work!
Donna

corbs
10th September 2013, 10:55 PM
My Bunnings voucher and note pad arrived the other day as well :)

Thanks again to all the organisers and donators of prizes... I love this forum :2tsup:

Damienol
11th September 2013, 09:15 AM
It blows my mind to see what some people can do with wood

Drillit
11th September 2013, 10:41 AM
Congratulations to all the entrants. They are all a good example of what can be done with
wood that too often finishes up as kindling. Well done Christos for all your efforts. Drillit.

GarciaJ
17th September 2013, 12:09 AM
I haven't visited the forum for a little while so I missed the vote. There seems to have been a bit of controversy, but the result seems to be about right IMHO... Hey! it's not as if it's the Archibald Prize or anything! I would have voted for the two shaker style tables (as that's my thing) and the wall drawers for the minimalist approach to working with the pallette material. The Ukelele was just as worthy a winner though.

Thank you Christos and the faceless men :-) . The challenge has brought out the best in a few chippies.

Thank you contestants for sharing your work - I for one feel inspired.

Jorge

ted449
15th March 2014, 12:40 PM
:balloons: 2nd Place - corbs :balloons:

280583 280584 280585 280586 280587

Great idea.