PDA

View Full Version : What are you working on MKIII

LineLefty
19th May 2005, 04:47 PM
What are you working on at the moment?

I know I've doen a post like this a couple of times but it's always interesting and enlightening. So feel free to self-indulge and write whatever you want about what projects you've got on the go.

Wongo
19th May 2005, 05:02 PM
1.building the cubby house (next 4 weeks)
2.building a kitchen bench top for my in-law’s new house (this weekend)
3.all joinery in my in-law’s new house (next 6 to 12 months)
4.setting up my workshop, building a workbench (next 3 months)

that will do for now. :)

TassieKiwi
19th May 2005, 05:21 PM
Putting a wood storage rack up in the shed by the big shed
Selecting & dressing NZ rimu from our last house reno to make 1/kids beds,2/KS bed for us, 3/entertainment thingy for the new TV that we haven't bought yet 4/setting up the workshop while attempting all of the above
5/ Trying to be very patient, waiting for Santa Lee:)

bitingmidge
19th May 2005, 05:45 PM
I'm only prepared to discuss things I'm likely to be working on this weekend, 'cause everything else is too far away, and I will have started something else by then anyway.

Bearing in mind that I'll only have an hour or two Sunday, I'll get close to my Pansy Drill Press Table, the Penultimate Router Table might get bits of a fence, I'll look at the DC ducting again, and might glue the mast in the little pond sailer model.

Of course I also may get distracted with the lathe turning some knobs for the fences on the Drill press and Router tables, or I might think about some work on the half completed sharpening jigs, or I... .. . . .

On the other hand, if I come home with a boot load of stuff from the wood show, I might just play instead.

Cheers,

P
:D

Sturdee
19th May 2005, 05:56 PM
Painting the drum sander.

Extend the DC piping to the new position for the TS.

Build a jig to attach the Triton sliding extension table to the TS.

Build a router table onto the TS.

Finish collecting bits and pieces for the vertical panel saw, ready to build it shortly.

Rebuild the workbench.

Peter.

Al B
19th May 2005, 06:12 PM
Currently making a workbench, I will be glueing up the base tommorow.

TassieKiwi
19th May 2005, 06:32 PM
How'bout some pix Big Al?

OtakiriLad
19th May 2005, 06:33 PM
Spent the day working on a prototype small wooden biplane for a kids toy. Tomorrow to WWW.

Chesand
19th May 2005, 06:35 PM
Have just finished making a nest of tables from recycled messmate for elder daughter.
Now have to stain and finish using Ubeaut water stain and hard shellac

Al B
19th May 2005, 06:49 PM
How'bout some pix Big Al?

No probs TassiKiwi,

Cliff Rogers
19th May 2005, 06:49 PM
A hangover.... :D

I just made it to my brother's place in Brisbane.

Alastair
19th May 2005, 07:06 PM
Trying to finish the bedroom suite I started in November

Some turning (pens maybe?)

Rebuilding my disc sander to fit new lathe

Make some deep hollowing tools

Finish lathe dust extraction

etc

etc

etc

Ianab
19th May 2005, 07:15 PM
My continuing mission is to convert the ugliest log I've ever sawn into a coffee table.

Progress is being made however.
Pic one is the log set up to mill last Aug, pic 2 is after drying and setting it under the mill again to plane with router. Pic 3 is the rough machined slab with some water splashed on it to show the grain. This time next year... it should be a table.

The timber is Lawson cypress (Port Orford Cedar) to the Americans.

Cheers

Ian

DarrylF
19th May 2005, 08:52 PM
Main thing lately seems to be getting the Lee Valley order sorted out :)

Just finishing off a table for the entry area - some really nice NSW Rosewood and it came up great. First project with much in the way of curves. I'll post a pic after I've finished the final coat of Danish oil and waxed it.

Recently done:
New router table
Mobile base for my bandsaw with blade storage etc.
Cart for my welder & metal gear
Steel framed tables for my table saw
Power tool cabinet
Blade & accessory storage drawers under my tablesaw
Dust hood for my chopsaw

So I've been on a serious workshop improvement project. Only thing in the near future to finish off is a new drill press table. Just need to pick up some more laminate to get it done.

I need to get stuck in now to building furniture. The table happened pretty quickly, next is probably a cabinet, though I'm not quite fixed on the design yet. I've picked up some nice timber lately - now to put it to good use :)

steve54123alt
19th May 2005, 09:14 PM
getting stuck into my coffee table should come up ok...

MathewA
19th May 2005, 09:28 PM
This weekend and most coming up will be getting everything packed for the long trip down under. I'm pretty well out of commission for making anything for the next half a year.

NeilR
19th May 2005, 09:34 PM
Finishing off my 21ft yacht which has been on the go for 2 yrs and getting close now. Have to wait for my broken leg to heal first........s o o n I hope!
Contemplating/planning how to setup my new workshop (7.5mx7.5m) which I get in about 6 weeks. This will include a new outside wood rack, shelving, benches etc and if im really lucky some new machinery.
Also have LOTS of milling to complete by winters end.
Neil

AlexS
19th May 2005, 09:53 PM
Trying to get a few boxes done. Presently working on an NZ Beech rectangular doc. box. Box is finished, but don't like the legs I made for it, and also have to come up with a latch. Also have to do trays for inside it.

numbat
19th May 2005, 10:09 PM
My workshop terrace is almost finished http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=14214 - it has been a long and expensive process - concrete was poured for the floor on Tuesday. Just (ha http://www.woodworkforums.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif) got the electrics and fitout to go - shouldnt take more than 6 months or so. Just got the handrailing to put up on the terrace - which is the workshop roof. Oh then the tiling (in the spring).

Got to put my bandsaw on one of Soundman's heavy duty base - oh and will pick up and put together my TSC10HB saw and also put that on a mobile base.

Got my garden to get into some sort of order now that the building disruption is almost over.

Cheers

Harry72
19th May 2005, 10:25 PM
I'll be finishing SWMBO's Bday present... maybe start building some storage racks.
Materials are old oregon roof beams from up the road off a "renovation pile of fire wood", so far its only cost is a visit to the sharpeners with my planer blades and some glue and a couple of biscuits... which you can see one that I've cut through cutting the rear of the draws cover panel(see the 1st pic, the white sopt on the top angled bit of the panel), it was my first ever raised panel using a tablesaw!
It looks a bit low in height, but thats because it will have 100mm swivel caster wheels, and a push handle(tomorows job!)

Caliban
19th May 2005, 10:29 PM
Where to start?
My shed 6.5x 7.0m is lying flatpacked in driveway. Fence is beside it. Can't do fence until concrete trucks have been. Concrete trucks can't come until council has approved formwork. Council can't approve until I actually build it, can't build it without tools. Tools are in storage until shed is built. The Chicken or the egg?
SWMBO insists on me fixing up her sewing room before I go outside. :o
Oh yeah, work. :mad:
One day.

dan_tom
20th May 2005, 01:13 AM
Three main projects on the go.
1) router planer ( will post pics when it resembles something other than a stack of aluminium extrusions and lots of sparks though the grey, spongy stuff in my skull).
2) router table (has made more progress than no.1 but not worth posting yet).
3) Start dressing up some of the timber we picked up at the Mullimbimby Wood Auction.
After those three the sky is the limit and involves plenty of shed time.
Cheers
Tom :D :D :D .

mkat
20th May 2005, 01:34 AM
I have a few things going on:

- workbench
- 4 string fretless bass
- 5 string fretless bass

I'm also working on an essay and report, but they're extremely uninteresting and have nothing to do with woodworking other than they're getting in the way of my projects...

Regards,

Michael

docwood
20th May 2005, 07:29 AM
finishing my son's writing table/desk

finishing my son's loft bed

pics to follow

mobile lumber rack

Iain
20th May 2005, 09:01 AM
My shed 6.5x 7.0m is lying flatpacked in driveway. One day.
Mine took 8 months, finally after much prodding and irritating, it finally happened, hang in and annoy someone ;)

NewLou
20th May 2005, 09:31 AM
Shop Made Band Clamps, Saw Hoarses n Finishing Table :D:D:D

silentC
20th May 2005, 09:40 AM
Finishing a toy box that has been sitting on my bench for many, many weeks.

Then I'm going to have a go at converting my old Triton router table into a vertical router table.

RufflyRustic
20th May 2005, 11:46 AM
Finish a bread box for friend, need to buy some food-grade finish at the Bris Wood Show.
Trying to do something with the bits of timber in the shed to make some room
Have made a camphor laurel coffee table that's got promise but just isn't quite right - pictures to come when I get the film printed as I need some advice.
Am waiting for the brain to let me know when it's finished working out the next CL coffee table plan
Am waiting to save enough money to buy more tools so I can made the CL bedhead and bed-side tables
Am contemplating making myself a desk for work as the room is depressingly grey-blue and there's just not enough wood at work yet.
cheers
RufflyRustic

GCP310
20th May 2005, 12:53 PM
bathroom reno #1 - Inlaws - Love Job + New framing gun
bathroom reno #2 - Mates round the corner from the inlaws - Love Job + Beers :D

Bathroom Vanity - Mate of a Mate - $$$, so not so bad.

I hate Bathrooms.......... :D

peter
20th May 2005, 01:32 PM
I am so glad to see so many others have more than one project on at a time. I thought I was a bit "strange :o " because as soon as I start one project it opens the flood gates to another 2 or 3. For example, upgraded from triton to Jet table saw in January so need to rearrange garage. Now that I have new table saw I need to build router table insert as well as finger joint jig, tennon jig, upgrade mitre add dust collector (which requires rearranging of garage again), put up shelves in garage so I can rearrange so I can put together the dust collector and then get back to finishing the jigs I had started for the table saw months ago.

One day I might just start one project and finish it before going onto the next :rolleyes: , but where's the fun it that????

LineLefty
20th May 2005, 02:19 PM
Well, that 20 responses for workshop projects and 20 responses for project projects.

Y'all seem to spend a lot of your time setting up the shed!

Jon
21st May 2005, 08:36 AM
my current current project is a coffee table. This will be my biggest "fine woodwork" project to date. The challenges will be a drawer in it which I don't think will be too hard, and turned legs which I having to learn how to do.
Hopefully this weekend I will have one leg completed.
The only other problem is that when I draw it up on my clunky CAD program the proportions don't quite look right. I think that 1m long and 500mm wide is too long and skinny but that is the size SWMBO has ordered.
Anyway, this weekend will be a success if I can complete one leg with no "catches".

Other projects
lifting stump of pine tree out of ground and onto wheelbarrow and then trailer for inlaws. The rather large tree blew down in the storm that hit Castle Hill (Syd) a couple of months ago. The tree blew over and ended up resting on the a brick wall, the tips of the branches brushing the neighbours roof. The front wall (brick) of the inlaws house also blew in and they lost a bit of their tile roof.

Installing a gas fireplace and flues into a friends two story house. This was also on last years list so I am feeling rather guilty but I honestly think that this one may be beyond me.

Jon

Iain
21st May 2005, 09:39 AM
I think that 1m long and 500mm wide is too long and skinny but that is the size SWMBO has ordered.
Jon
Try 1.6-1 I think it is 1.63-1 but that is roughly the golden rule for proportional layout.
All based on body lengths, arms legs etc and aesthetically more pleasing.
Not that you are forced too of course but as you raised the issue give it a try before you go..........

graemet
22nd May 2005, 09:24 AM
I bought a 9x20 lathe to 1. learn how to turn & machine metal and 2. make the little metal bits that can make the difference to a piece of furniture. The stand was about 250mm too low so I'm making a cabinet to sit on the stand under the lathe. It will have drawers for the amazing quantity of bits and pieces that came with the lathe, all covered in gooey grease, so (eat your heart out, Major) 15mm ply carcase glued and NAILED, using ply from the packing case as a back and for the drawer bottoms. It's the lousiest looking stuff I've ever used but it's strong and won't be seen. The drawer sides are being made from recycled pallet timber which comes up quite nicely through the thicknesser. The only part of the cabinet visible will be the drawer fronts and I am making them out of a bit of offcut boat ply, giving them a coat of varnish. http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon14.gif http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon14.gif
Cheers,
Graeme

DPB
22nd May 2005, 09:54 AM
:D Two weeks ago.

AlexS
22nd May 2005, 01:29 PM
Just came back from HappyinSydney's, where he kindly broke down some banksia logs for me. He rough-turned a bowl out of one of them - looking good. He took some pieces with cranky grain for turning, & I took the straight ones for boxes. Reckon we both got the better deal. Look forward to some pics.

This afternoon, Wongo's coming round & we'll dress some timber for him. Might possibly have a beer afterwards.

Is this a good way to spend the day or what?

Schtoo
23rd May 2005, 02:39 AM
Poker table.

%#%$&^%$ thing is starting to haunt me...;)

Jon
23rd May 2005, 02:25 PM
Anyway, this weekend will be a success if I can complete one leg with no "catches".

The coffee table will have square legs and I am signing up for turning lessons.

Jon

HavinaGo
23rd May 2005, 04:35 PM
Home:
Play with 3.5 year old and talk to significant other.

Laundary: finished the floor, ceramic tiles on waterproofed screed to floor waste, now up goes the plasterboard walls, then paint (My better half has volunteered for that :) . Out little one, could not understand why we did not paint yesterday .. he drew instead! He also thinks yellow, blue and green would be good colours (Sun, sky/water, trees/grass) for the replaced wall)

Bedroom: Return red pine chest of drawers to somethnig like original style (They got a 60's treatment .. squared up, plinth at bottom insted of turned legs). Paint has been professionally stripped and they now wait inspiration!

Kitchen: Draw sketches of what might be. A major step forward was realising 3D drawings, rough as rough, conveyed much more to my better half than reasonably accurate plans! .. only took me 7 years to figure that out :confused:

Playgroup: recently finiashed 2 trollies, 25mm ground clearance, castors each corner, to carry toys and stuff under the church hall stage. (Metal frame, recycled packing crate as floor .. electric planer needed a rebuild part way through :o )

Farm: Metal handles to open irrigation outlets. 3 of 7 made. Stop oil leak from 63 Dexta tractor, Remove trees from fences :( , dig holes, chase donkey, attempt to keep water in pipes etc.

All in all lots of fun .. where do we find time to go to work??

cheers
David

-----
A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they’ll never
sit in. (Greek proverb)