PDA

View Full Version : Pegas Blades

Tikki
19th May 2005, 08:52 PM
Just wondering, has anyone tried the Swiss made Pegas scroll saw blades yet? Interested to know how they compare performance wise to FD's, Olsens, etc.
Thanks
Tikki :)

Iain
20th May 2005, 09:05 AM
No, but wondering too, how do they compare pricewise.
I am happy with FD's and destroy quite a few.
Buying in gross lots I find that I don't worry about it too much and the reality is that I tend to put them down somewhere never to be seen again.

Tikki
20th May 2005, 10:04 AM
Thanks Iain, seems they're only new in Oz.
Got the prices - $6.50/doz, $32.50/half gross, $65/gross with 10% discount before June 30 (at Harris Traders)
I'm really happy with FD's, find they out perform Olsens by miles on thick cutting, but always curious when something new arrives on the market. Will buy a few while the discount's on and answer my own question.
Cheers

oges
20th May 2005, 09:28 PM
Helen from Harris Traders sent me her ad saying they now sell them, have not bought them myself yet. I tried some at the Scroll Fest in Redcliffe as one of the people had some. They were fine to use but did not seem to have the longevity that the FDs have ... I might still get a dozen to give them a decent workout but I think I found a good one with FD and will stick with them.

baseball
20th May 2005, 11:53 PM
They were fine to use but did not seem to have the longevity that the FDs have ...

but I think I found a good one with FD and will stick with them.

I am familiar with Olsens, but please expalin FD ??

Thanx
Dave A

Tikki
21st May 2005, 12:12 AM
Hi Dave

FD's are Flying Dutchman, a German made blade. I find them far superior, both in cutting ability and longevity, to any other brand I've tried. Here's some more info on them http://www.mikesworkshop.com/ (American site)
Harris Traders in Victoria sell them (mail order), but unsure of the price. Brett may know.

Cheers

oges
21st May 2005, 01:09 AM
Harris Traders have them $6.50 a dozen, $32.50 ½ gross and $65 a gross.

Dave, you arent the Dave A that was at the Redcliffe Scroll Fest then? he was the person using the Pegas blades.

baseball
21st May 2005, 11:59 AM
No Brett - not me!

Can you give me contact details for Harris Traders. Must get some of these FD's.

Just bought a new Delta 16" variable at the Brisbane Wood Show. Huge improvement on the Ryobi! Only been playing with it for a couple of hours.

Regards

Dave

Tikki
21st May 2005, 06:41 PM
Hi Dave

And congratulations on your new saw! :D There won't be enough hours in the day now!

Harris Traders - Helen and Owen Harris, PO Box 1065, Horsham, Vic 3402.
Phone 03 5382 6224 Fax 03 5382 7169
Email - [email protected]

Cheers

jdb
19th October 2005, 09:52 AM
someone mentioned a scrollfest in Redclife could you please advise when it wason so can keep an eye open for the next one also does Jet make a scrollsaw many thanks

oges
20th October 2005, 01:49 PM
someone mentioned a scrollfest in Redcliffe could you please advise when it wason so can keep an eye open for the next one also does Jet make a scrollsaw many thanks
jdb,
It was on the weekend of May 7-8 2005. Was a good weekend and I travelled up from Sydney to attend it. They are planning to have it around the same time again next year. If you are a member of the Scrollsaw Network there will be a notice put in there as soon as I get details from them. Or you could just contact the guys at the Redcliffe Woodwork Group.

Not sure if I will be going next year as I will be in Adelaide for the National Scroll event July 14-16, so will have to check the finances if they are too close together .. and then theres the one at Wodonga VIC.

Make sure you bring some of the Buderim ginger with you if you do go :D

Jet doesnt make a scrollsaw that I have seen.

jdb
22nd October 2005, 10:26 AM
many thanks for the repley Bret have mad a note in the diary,in regards to the jet am wanting to get a new saw at present have been using a delta q3 but getting into alot finer things and the q3 is toaggressive and cant get a dewalt anymore so trying to find a good one.

John

Iain
22nd October 2005, 10:37 AM
Try an Excalibur, Gregorys used to havr them.

jdb
26th October 2005, 09:46 AM
Iain

thanks for the tip contacted Gregorys but they no longer carry them why o why cant we get a good saw in Aust apart from Hegner which I think are over priced for what you get wish dewalt would come back
John

Harris
10th November 2005, 08:22 AM
Just wondering, has anyone tried the Swiss made Pegas scroll saw blades yet? Interested to know how they compare performance wise to FD's, Olsens, etc.
Thanks

Tikki
The Pegas and Flying Dutchmen Blades are all sold at $4.50 per dozen (plain end) and $6.50 per dozen (pinned)
There are price breaks for purchases of 6 dozen or 12 dozen.
Helen Harris
Harris Traders
[email protected]
03 5382 6224

Tikki
10th November 2005, 10:56 AM
Hi Helen :)
Thanks for the info. I did buy some from you way back when, just haven't tried them yet :o
Cheers