PDA

View Full Version : Why you need an air micro die grinder

Pages : [1] 2

nearnexus
14th August 2013, 07:09 PM
Been at it again.

Here's the latest video.

Why you need a cheap air pencil die grinder - micro die grinder - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyWgN718cdg&feature=c4-overview&list=UUXGgjDg8p1nJBgHdxPdvkjQ)

Cheers

Rob

Oldneweng
14th August 2013, 09:32 PM
Go at it Rob. I'll watch your vids to see what is possible with the die grinder then I don't have to try stuff just to find out. I'll let you do it:D.

Dean

nearnexus
14th August 2013, 09:49 PM
Go at it Rob. I'll watch your vids to see what is possible with the die grinder then I don't have to try stuff just to find out. I'll let you do it:D.

Dean

In the situation shown in the video, it would be difficult to open out the hole any other way. Maybe a very tiny carbide boring bar ?

I recon these little die grinders are the bees knees and being absolutely dirt cheap there's no reason not to have one.

I couldn't do that sort of job with my full sized tool post grinder.

Rob

Oldneweng
14th August 2013, 10:33 PM
In the situation shown in the video, it would be difficult to open out the hole any other way. Maybe a very tiny carbide boring bar ?

I recon these little die grinders are the bees knees and being absolutely dirt cheap there's no reason not to have one.

I couldn't do that sort of job with my full sized tool post grinder.

Rob

I bought one off EBay after reading about them in the thread about improving on the dremel. It is the nearest thing to a TPG I have at the moment, although I am yet to make a holder.

Dean

nearnexus
14th August 2013, 10:52 PM
You can't compare these to a proper TPG, but as shown in the video they can do small stuff that would be difficult any other way.

LIke a Dremel, to be useful you have to buy the accessories - carbide and diamond burrs especially.

Here's a few photo's I took that I was going to add to the video but left off.

You may find them interesting.

Cheers

Rob

Oldneweng
14th August 2013, 11:30 PM
Thanks Rob. Did both knurling wheels require adjustment?

Dean

nearnexus
14th August 2013, 11:58 PM
Hi Dean,

Yes, both were just a tad undersize. Enough to be a major problem.

I did actually try a drill before I used the air grinder, and no way that metal could be drilled.

Being Chinese I thought they may be cheesy, but not so. I got the scissor knurl from the UK and it seems to work OK. Probably made in China as well :D

Anyway, seeing as we were discussing these little grinders recently I thought it was a good opportunity to show what they can do.

People probably look at them and think what would I use that for ? but once you get one it's surprising how handy they are.

Cheers

Rob

Anorak Bob
15th August 2013, 11:10 AM
Rob, Dean,

I have some metal to remove on a little cast iron project that I have been dragging out because my Dremel can't access the areas I need to work on leaving me with dainty jeweller's riffler files as my only means.

There is an abundance of similar looking pencil grinders on Ebay with hugely varying prices. Richard"RC" splurged and dropped 50 bucks or so on a CTC grinder. Some of the others, the pink anodised versions, sell for around 30 dollars.

What exactly do you have?

Bob.

nearnexus
15th August 2013, 01:19 PM
Rob, Dean,

I have some metal to remove on a little cast iron project that I have been dragging out because my Dremel can't access the areas I need to work on leaving me with dainty jeweller's riffler files as my only means.

There is an abundance of similar looking pencil grinders on Ebay with hugely varying prices. Richard"RC" splurged and dropped 50 bucks or so on a CTC grinder. Some of the others, the pink anodised versions, sell for around 30 dollars.

What exactly do you have?

Bob.

You hit the nail right on the head - the pink anodised ones are all the same as far as I can tell. Some people just try and charge more.

I got mine from a CTC Ebay outlet (they have a few) for about $30 delivered.

Prices have gone up a bit since then as our $ is not as good.

MICRO AIR GRINDER #C99 (http://www.ctctools.biz/servlet/the-123/MICRO-AIR-GRINDER-HIGH/Detail)

They also do a 4 bearing model which is more for continuous use.

MICRO AIR GRINDER - STRAIGHT HEAD #G69 (http://www.ctctools.biz/servlet/the-402/MICRO-AIR-GRINDER-HIGH/Detail)

Plenty on Ebay exactly the same even cheaper eg:

NEW AIR Micro DIE Grinder Tool 17 PCS Mounted Stone Grinding Polishing Engraving | eBay (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-Air-Micro-Die-Grinder-Tool-17-Pcs-Mounted-Stone-Grinding-Polishing-Engraving-/151061224729?pt=AU_Air_Tools&hash=item232bf35d19)

I'd have no hestitation buying any of them.

I did a web page on them a while back which gives a lot of information, and how you can get the best performance out of them (an easy collet modification).

Air micro die grinder (http://users.tpg.com.au/agnet/microgrinder.html)

Cheers

Rob

Black Ned
15th August 2013, 03:56 PM
Try Bunnings - Just bought - Trade Air - Micro Grinder Kit (17 Pce) - $24.00
Clearance prices - get in quick!
regards Ned

Abratool
15th August 2013, 07:49 PM
Try Bunnings - Just bought - Trade Air - Micro Grinder Kit (17 Pce) - $24.00
Clearance prices - get in quick!
regards Ned
Ned
I went directly to Bunnings after reading your note.
They did not know or heard of the Micro Grinder Kit.
Perhaps this is a localised thing?
regards
Bruce

nearnexus
15th August 2013, 07:58 PM
Not listed in the catalogue on line for Bunnings stores in SA.

Rob

Oldneweng
15th August 2013, 08:53 PM
I bought this one NEW AIR Micro DIE Grinder Tool 17 PCS Mounted Stone Grinding Polishing Engraving | eBay (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/151061224729?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649).

Same as Rob I think. Was $3.00 cheaper than in this link.

Dean

eskimo
16th August 2013, 09:46 AM

after watching your utube vid on endmill sharpening 3 off those little 4 bearing thingies arrived in the post on Tuesday.
1 for me and the others for a couple of mates...

now to get around to making a clamp

thanks Rob

nearnexus
16th August 2013, 10:28 AM
Be interested to hear what you think of it.

Get the burrs etc and you are set to go.

Cheers

Rob

nearnexus
16th August 2013, 04:44 PM
Just to bore you a bit more about these little grinders, I had another job today where I used it as a mini TPG again.

I bought a small Morse 1 live centre and I needed to add a spring washer to extend the 6 mm release bolt slightly.

All the washers I had were just a tad undersize again, so did the same trick as with the knurl wheels on it. Piece of cake.

A few snaps below.

Cheers

Rob

.RC.
16th August 2013, 04:54 PM
Yes awesome bits of gear...

Also what do you measure with that ruler? :D

nearnexus
16th August 2013, 05:01 PM
Yes awesome bits of gear...

Also what do you measure with that ruler? :D

It's a special computer measure.

You use it to measure Wangs :rolleyes:

They're similar to wongs.

Rob

OLCDOG
16th August 2013, 09:50 PM
Hi Rob,

I have been looking at the diamond burrs for these little grinders and wondering what grit size you use.
The burrs appear to be offered in 40g (coarse), 120g (medium) and 300g (fine).
I would assume that 40g is just a tad coarse and guess that 120g would be the best all round.
Interested to hear what you have found.
Love your videos!
I first came across your web pages re setting up your lathe for milling and found the information very helpful as I have the same chinese vertical milling attachment.
It wasn't quite as easy to set up on my AL320G lathe due to the stepped cross slide, but I got there in the end.

Cheers,
Alan

forp
16th August 2013, 10:46 PM
How does the diamond burrs wear without water lubrication? I know diamond tools works well on stones and granites but does diamond work as well on metal?

Becareful when using stones grinding wheel on your lathe, clean your ways or protect them from the abrasive deposits. I am guessing diamond tools is best as they wear slowly and result in less deposit?

nearnexus
16th August 2013, 10:50 PM
Hi Rob,

I have been looking at the diamond burrs for these little grinders and wondering what grit size you use.
The burrs appear to be offered in 40g (coarse), 120g (medium) and 300g (fine).
I would assume that 40g is just a tad coarse and guess that 120g would be the best all round.
Interested to hear what you have found.

Cheers,
Alan

Wow, you got me there Alan - it's been a while since I bought my diamond burrs and the plastic boxes don't say the grade.

I'm pretty sure they are all 120 grit, as that is the most common type available and that was what I went for - cheap too :).

I don't have any coarse ones. When using diamond you are generally aiming for a good finish - 300 grit would be a bit slow.

Glad you enjoyed the videos - started out with a few and it seems to have got a bit out of control.

Oh well that's life.

Rob

nearnexus
16th August 2013, 10:56 PM
How does the diamond burrs wear without water lubrication? I know diamond tools works well on stones and granites but does diamond work as well on metal?

Becareful when using stones grinding wheel on your lathe, clean your ways or protect them from the abrasive deposits. I am guessing diamond tools is best as they wear slowly and result in less deposit?

I'm still using my original diamond burrs and they aren't showing any significant signs of wear. They seem to last pretty well, and you get lots for your money.

I use them dry.

They would probably stuff up if you used them on soft alloy/materials as they would clog - same as a grind stone.

They work best on really hard stuff like steel, weld, ceramic, glass etc and are relatively self cleaning at high RPM.

Diamond burrs don't tear themselves apart like an emery wheel, so any deposits will be the material you are working.

Cheers

Rob

Black Ned
17th August 2013, 09:14 AM
The Micro Grinder was purchased at Bunnings - Maitland - $24.00 reduced for clearance. Had Been marked down several times.
It was also available at Bunnings - Belmont NSW. They have just done a stocktake and are clearing various items. Maybe it will happen at various times at other stores. Maitland had at least four more units available, Belmont had only one that I could see. I would rush out soon an check a number of stores.
Show them this photo.

Good Luck,
regards Ned

Note - they were in tool section - on shelf - with orange tag - not out on display!

nearnexus
17th August 2013, 09:54 AM
Good pick up at that price.

Two things worth a mention if you use the die grinder in a rigid mount (as a mini TPG):

- Make sure you eliminate shank whip and vibration by keeping the tooling overhang/shaft length as short as practical. Do the spare collet modification I mention in my blog if using 1/8" burrs.

- to the right of the barrel air control is a small allen screw under the exhaust tube. This locks the end section which (if I remember correctly) unscrews to allow disassembly. Both can work loose if vibration occurs. I loctited it in.

If you pay attention to these points you won't have any vibration/flex issues - as shown in the video.

Cheers

Rob

Oldneweng
17th August 2013, 01:32 PM
Good pick up at that price.

Two things worth a mention if you use the die grinder in a rigid mount (as a mini TPG):

- Make sure you eliminate shank whip and vibration by keeping the tooling overhang/shaft length as short as practical. Do the spare collet modification I mention in my blog if using 1/8" burrs.

- to the right of the barrel air control is a small allen screw under the exhaust tube. This locks the end section which (if I remember correctly) unscrews to allow disassembly. Both can work loose if vibration occurs. I loctited it in.

If you pay attention to these points you won't have any vibration/flex issues - as shown in the video.

Cheers

Rob

Can you point me in the right direction for this blog entry Rob. When I looked at your blog I found only one entry which was not the one.

Dean

nearnexus
17th August 2013, 01:50 PM
Can you point me in the right direction for this blog entry Rob. When I looked at your blog I found only one entry which was not the one.

Dean

and for the collet mod (a simple modification):

Cheers

Rob

Oldneweng
17th August 2013, 03:08 PM

and for the collet mod (a simple modification):

Cheers

Rob

Thanks Rob. Very interesting reading. I will look into the collet modification and the air cooling tower. I wonder if the dremel collets will fit?

Dean

nearnexus
17th August 2013, 03:50 PM
Thanks Rob. Very interesting reading. I will look into the collet modification and the air cooling tower. I wonder if the dremel collets will fit?

Dean

I don't know if they do fit Dean. Let me know what you discover.

The collets are pretty simple and would be easy to make if need be.

Also you may want to look at the blog again as I just added a bit more info on two more modifications worth doing. ie the Allen bolt/ Loctite and a hose clip.

Cheers

Rob

Oldneweng
17th August 2013, 07:38 PM
I don't know if they do fit Dean. Let me know what you discover.

The collets are pretty simple and would be easy to make if need be.

Also you may want to look at the blog again as I just added a bit more info on two more modifications worth doing. ie the Allen bolt/ Loctite and a hose clip.

Cheers

Rob

The reason I was wondering about the dremels collets fitting is that I have a number of different sized collets to fit the dremel. Two sets I think from 1/32 to 1/8. I also have a lot of bits to fit as well, which are also 1/8. I have the same issue with these not fitting into the 3mm collet of the die grinder.

The dremel collets do fit in the die grinder which may be useful.

You said in your blog that you drilled out the spare collet and it was made of brass. I did not get a spare collet (or oil but I got the little bottle) and my collet is made from hardened steel. You mentioned axial runout. My collet appears to be ground to size and has a raised diam for about the last 4mm. This appears to be a close fit inside the drive shaft. The dremel collets of course don't have this raised section which means they may suffer from axial runout.

Dean

nearnexus
17th August 2013, 08:04 PM
Hi Dean,

That's great information. You don't know how hard it is to get people to contribute to the web. I will incorporate that into the pages.

The fact that a Dremel collet will fit is actually a big deal. What it means is that if the collet in the die grinder stuffs up, you can get a Dremel as a replacement. Trying to get an OEM die grinder part would be very difficult.

So all this information is actually quite valuable.

To modify a hardened collet you could use the die grinder and a smaller diamond burr as in my video to do the job. Once again, this sort of work would be near impossible any other way.

These units are really very useful for this sort of work.

Here's a shot of my 3 mm collet (unmodified).

Have you checked yours with a magnet to see if it is steel ?

The radial runout is not massive, but I did detect some given the basic style/fit of the collet.

Cheers

Rob

Oldneweng
17th August 2013, 08:56 PM
Hi Dean,

That's great information. You don't know how hard it is to get people to contribute to the web. I will incorporate that into the pages.

The fact that a Dremel collet will fit is actually a big deal. What it means is that if the collet in the die grinder stuffs up, you can get a Dremel as a replacement. Trying to get an OEM die grinder part would be very difficult.

So all this information is actually quite valuable.

To modify a hardened collet you could use the die grinder and a smaller diamond burr as in my video to do the job. Once again, this sort of work would be near impossible any other way.

These units are really very useful for this sort of work.

Here's a shot of my 3 mm collet (unmodified).

Have you checked yours with a magnet to see if it is steel ?

The radial runout is not massive, but I did detect some given the basic style/fit of the collet.

Cheers

Rob

Checked with magnet? First thing I did. Clink. I think my collet is better finished although it is hard to tell with photos. I will try to remember to take a picture of mine tomorrow. Modifying the collet. Lucky I have the dremel collets but will have to check how well they work. I have some diamond burrs but they are 1/8 inch shaft.

Dean

azzrock
17th August 2013, 09:22 PM
regarding that blokes video i would of tried a carbide drill before let that grinder near my lathe

Oldneweng
18th August 2013, 06:51 PM
A picture of the two collets. This was one of my first shots in anger with my new SLR. It is a lot more complex to use than the old Film ones languishing in the cupboard. Take me a while to learn it fully.

Dean

nearnexus
18th August 2013, 07:38 PM
deleted duplicate post

nearnexus
18th August 2013, 07:40 PM
I take it the one on the left is from the air grinder ?

The one on the right looks to have a longer tapered section on the screw cap end ?

Angles look a bit different.

How well does the Dremel one fit ?

Rob

Steamwhisperer
18th August 2013, 08:51 PM
In at Bunnings today.
I counted 4 sets

Phil

Oldneweng
18th August 2013, 10:49 PM
I take it the one on the left is from the air grinder ?

The one on the right looks to have a longer tapered section on the screw cap end ?

Angles look a bit different.

How well does the Dremel one fit ?

Rob

Correct.

Yes the taper is longer plus the parallel section.

Angle does look smaller on the dremel.

It seems to fit ok but I have not tried it running yet. If I was keen I could set both up with an indicator to compare runout.

Dean

Black Ned
19th August 2013, 08:54 AM
Steamwhisperer!!!!
This is my receipt - show it to Bunnings to match price!!

regards Ned

Note: these were reduced by varying amount to get to this price. Ticket was orange clearance - Original price $44.00 - 33.00 - 24.00 when I bought it. same in other Bunnings in Newcastle/Maitand/Lake Macquarie stores. - I think that they are changing suppliers and shifting old stock.

GTVi
19th August 2013, 12:05 PM

MICRO AIR GRINDER - STRAIGHT HEAD #G69 (http://www.ctctools.biz/servlet/the-402/MICRO-AIR-GRINDER-HIGH/Detail)

Thanks Rob for the heads up. I had this little unit delivered recently. I'm sure I will find many uses for it.
I already have a couple of Dremels, but this air grinder feels so much better in the hand and more powerful.

I have only started it up and had a short play with it. I normally use it to "high flow" throttle bodies. With the slim body it will make that job easier.

Cheers,
Bill

nearnexus
19th August 2013, 01:05 PM
I have only started it up and had a short play with it. I normally use it to "high flow" throttle bodies. With the slim body it will make that job easier.

Cheers,
Bill

Should be good for that sort of work.

It seems that everyone thinks "Dremel" for this sort of work, and these air powered units slip under the radar.

Probably a marketing thing, and not everyone has an air compressor.

The fact that these can't be burnt out and are dead easy to mount on a tool post make them a winner IMHO.

Rob

neksmerj
22nd August 2013, 03:41 PM
This old school item may be of interest to someone looking for a pencil type micro grinder. So far it's cheap.

Hanging Flexible Drive Micro DIE Grinder 12000 RPM | eBay (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HANGING-FLEXIBLE-DRIVE-MICRO-DIE-GRINDER-12000-rpm-/171108097220?pt=AU_Business_Industrial_Medical_Scientific_Equipment2&hash=item27d6d65cc4)

Ken

weldcrazy88
23rd August 2013, 10:19 AM
I bought one off EBay after reading about them in the thread about improving on the dremel. It is the nearest thing to a TPG I have at the moment, although I am yet to make a holder.

Dean

how much did you pay for it off of ebay??

Anorak Bob
23rd August 2013, 11:05 AM
After a fruitless search at Bunnings and being a cheap skate , I bought a budget grinder from "Melbourne Tools" - Grinding Stones AIR DIE Grinder Wrenches Tool Combi SET ALL Grinding KIT | eBay (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/221198648456?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com.au%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_sacat%3D0%26_from%3DR40%26_nkw%3D221198648456%26_rdc%3D1)

I notice that the CTC 4 bearing model comes with both a 2 and a 3mm collet. I imagine the Melbourne special is accompanied by a lone 3mm. Now here's the thing, I have a Grobet USA catalogue, 24 pages of which are devoted to jeweller's burs BUT they are 2.4 mm (3/32") shanked. Quality German and Swiss burs are available on Ebay but again smaller shanked - Setting Burs FIG413 Jewelers Burs Stone Setting Jewelry BUR SET 024 050 12 Piece | eBay (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SETTING-BURS-FIG413-JEWELERS-BURS-STONE-SETTING-JEWELRY-BUR-SET-024-050-12-Piece-/200724780987?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ebc2117bb)

Has anyone had a go at making a miniscule collet for one of these grinders?

BT

ps , Might be an opportunity to put Marcel to work - http://www.woodworkforums.com/f65/its-stuarts-fault-optical-acquisition-174817/#post1683270

Oldneweng
23rd August 2013, 11:15 AM
how much did you pay for it off of ebay??

$33.96 from toolsntoysmega.
(http://myworld.ebay.com.au/toolsntoysmega/&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2754)
Cheers

Dean

nearnexus
23rd August 2013, 12:32 PM
QUOTE=Anorak Bob;1687833]After a fruitless search at Bunnings and being a cheap skate , I bought a budget grinder from "Melbourne Tools" - Grinding Stones AIR DIE Grinder Wrenches Tool Combi SET ALL Grinding KIT | eBay (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/221198648456?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com.au%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_sacat%3D0%26_from%3DR40%26_nkw%3D221198648456%26_rdc%3D1)

I notice that the CTC 4 bearing model comes with both a 2 and a 3mm collet. I imagine the Melbourne special is accompanied by a lone 3mm. Now here's the thing, I have a Grobet USA catalogue, 24 pages of which are devoted to jeweller's burs BUT they are 2.4 mm (3/32") shanked. Quality German and Swiss burs are available on Ebay but again smaller shanked - Setting Burs FIG413 Jewelers Burs Stone Setting Jewelry BUR SET 024 050 12 Piece | eBay (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SETTING-BURS-FIG413-JEWELERS-BURS-STONE-SETTING-JEWELRY-BUR-SET-024-050-12-Piece-/200724780987?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ebc2117bb)

BT

ps , Might be an opportunity to put Marcel to work - http://www.woodworkforums.com/f65/its-stuarts-fault-optical-acquisition-174817/#post1683270[/QUOTE]

Bob, my CTC pencil grinder set came with a spare collet in size 3/32", as well as the 3 mm collet fitted in the unit.

They look pretty easy to make - it's a very simple design.

Also slightly OT I was in Bunnings at Mile End and I see they have the next size up die grinder (with lever throttle control) with a set of grindstones for $20.

This is the same price I got one from CheapAuto a while back.

They are quite a good unit for the money. I use it for cutting with a thin friction disc. They use a lot of air though.

Worth a look.

Rob

krisfarm
23rd August 2013, 02:08 PM
BT,
Just like you said once before "two Bob,s think alike". I also ordered the same air grinder from Melbourne Tools yesterday. When looking at the picture/text on Ebay I did notice that it did not mention two collets. We will have to wait and see. I had earlier looked at buying the CTC four bearing model with ten different carbide burrs but the freight was a killer, I don't like paying heaps more for freight than the tool cost.
Bob

Anorak Bob
23rd August 2013, 02:51 PM
Buying from CTC's online store proves more economical than their Ebay store.

NEW Micro AIR Grinder RPM58 000 Grinding Polishing DIE Tool Equipment C99 | eBay (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/151092932762?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com.au%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_from%3DR40%26_sacat%3D0%26_nkw%3D151092932762%26_rdc%3D1)

CTC Tools Cart (http://www.ctctools.biz/servlet/Cart?cart_id=37543923)

I bought mine from Melbourne Tools because it looks the same as CTC's, it was cheaper and there is the chance it might arrive sooner. We'll see.:rolleyes:

BT

Oldneweng
23rd August 2013, 03:31 PM
Buying from CTC's online store proves more economical than their Ebay store.

NEW Micro AIR Grinder RPM58 000 Grinding Polishing DIE Tool Equipment C99 | eBay (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/151092932762?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com.au%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_from%3DR40%26_sacat%3D0%26_nkw%3D151092932762%26_rdc%3D1)

CTC Tools Cart (http://www.ctctools.biz/servlet/Cart?cart_id=37543923)

I bought mine from Melbourne Tools because it looks the same as CTC's, it was cheaper and there is the chance it might arrive sooner. We'll see.:rolleyes:

BT

Melbourne to Perth compared with Hongkong to Perth. Could be a close run thing. I have had some ridiculus postage times from Perth and the one purchase I made from CTC via online store arrived in pretty quick time over Xmas period.

It looks the same? Probably is. It is the colour that is important. Red ones are faster of course. $50 from CTC EBay store:o. It does have an extra colletand a useless oiler and for me a useless air fitting.

Hope to see some results from it when it does arrive.

Dean

krisfarm
23rd August 2013, 03:39 PM
Hi Bob,
CTC online store is cheaper for the air tool, but when you add in freight it is $43-00. Melbourne Tool Supply $31-49 delivered.The carbide burrs are even more effected by freight $1-66 for the burr $8-49 delivered. I think CTC needs to look at his freight costs as they seem to me to be way too high.There are some wild prices on Ebay for these little grinders.
Bob

Oldneweng
23rd August 2013, 04:10 PM
Hi Bob,
CTC online store is cheaper for the air tool, but when you add in freight it is $43-00. Melbourne Tool Supply $31-49 delivered.The carbide burrs are even more effected by freight $1-66 for the burr $8-49 delivered. I think CTC needs to look at his freight costs as they seem to me to be way too high.There are some wild prices on Ebay for these little grinders.
Bob

The trick with CTC Tools is to save up and make a BIG Purchase in one go. This reduces the freight cost per item and makes their prices very competitive. Not much help for a single purchase tho.

Dean

krisfarm
23rd August 2013, 04:44 PM
Hi Dean,
You are right about ordering a lot of items it does reduce your freight costs. I have purchased a lot of tooling - well over two thousand dollars worth from CTC over the last few years. I mainly used sea freight and the freight cost worked out at under 20% of the tooling price, but sea freight last time I checked was almost the same as air and air freight has risen much faster than the tooling prices. I find CTC tooling prices and quality very good but as RC pointed out a little while back you have to check around especially for small orders. It will be interesting to see what is included in the grinder that BT and I have ordered as they all look very similar from all of the retailers.
Bob

nearnexus
23rd August 2013, 05:26 PM
Hi Dean,
You are right about ordering a lot of items it does reduce your freight costs.
Bob

Yes, with CTC it's best to order up to get the freight cost down.

The pencil grinder I got was not direct from the CTC store, but from one of their Ebay "sites" and was $14 plus $15 postage at the time.

Since then our dollar has gone pear shaped.

The spare collet was not listed and was just something extra that I didn't expect. Came in handy.

I was using the die grinder again today to grind out some holes in plastic. So damn handy, but had a miserable day where everything went wrong.

So I'm sitting having a red wine while I type this and try to forget the disaster that was today :)

Cheers all.

Rob

Anorak Bob
23rd August 2013, 10:39 PM
Yes, with CTC it's best to order up to get the freight cost down.

The pencil grinder I got was not direct from the CTC store, but from one of their Ebay "sites" and was $14 plus $15 postage at the time.

Since then our dollar has gone pear shaped.

The spare collet was not listed and was just something extra that I didn't expect. Came in handy.

I was using the die grinder again today to grind out some holes in plastic. So damn handy, but had a miserable day where everything went wrong.

So I'm sitting having a red wine while I type this and try to forget the disaster that was today :)

Cheers all.

Rob

It's surprising how often those one forward two back days occur. Probably why they invented plonk.

Tomorrow's another adventure Rob.

Bob.

nearnexus
24th August 2013, 10:03 AM
Yes, you sometimes wonder why you tried.

+1 on the plonk.

Rob

Ueee
24th August 2013, 10:32 AM
After all the collet talk, I'm still confused as to whether dremil collets will fit or not....
If either Bob could let us know what collets do come with the Melbourne units that would be good. As a dremil owner I have a stack of 1/8" burrs etc. I dropped the dremil around the same time Rc was asking about alternatives, and she don't work no more. One of the field coil wires broke off right were it disappears into the coil. It was gutless anyway.

Cheers,
Ew

Oldneweng
24th August 2013, 11:25 AM
After all the collet talk, I'm still confused as to whether dremil collets will fit or not....
If either Bob could let us know what collets do come with the Melbourne units that would be good. As a dremil owner I have a stack of 1/8" burrs etc. I dropped the dremil around the same time Rc was asking about alternatives, and she don't work no more. One of the field coil wires broke off right were it disappears into the coil. It was gutless anyway.

Cheers,
Ew

Ewan I tried the dremel collet and it did fit and seemed to grip fine. I have not tried it running tho. I will be going out to the shed soon and will try it.

Dean

GTVi
24th August 2013, 04:57 PM
I have tried the Dremel collets on my 4 bearing model air grinder from CTC, and they work fine. The Dremel ones are aluminium, as opposed to steel (stainless?) on the air grinder. Other than that difference they fit perfectly.

nearnexus
24th August 2013, 06:03 PM
I have tried the Dremel collets on my 4 bearing model air grinder from CTC, and they work fine. The Dremel ones are aluminium, as opposed to steel (stainless?) on the air grinder. Other than that difference they fit perfectly.

Thanks for the feedback.

One question: seeing as the Dremel collet has a flat section between the collet tapers and the air die grinder does not, does the nose cap use as many threads to screw down?

In other words, do you sacrifice nose cone threads when the Dremel collets are used ?

Rob

GTVi
24th August 2013, 07:37 PM
I'll try to summarise without taking pictures, because its now getting dark in the shed...

I have a bout 12 dremmel collets collected over the years. They all vary slightly. They range from aluminium to a very week alloy steel that is barely picked up by a strong magnet.
What I noticed between the dremel collets and the air die collets is as follows...

1. The metal on the dremel collets is half the thickness of the air die collets. (I can squeeze the Dremel collets easily with my fingers.)
2. The air die collet is strongly attracted to a magnet, where as the dremel collets either are aluminium or a different steel alloy. (The later has a very weak attraction to a magnet)
3. The head of the Dremel collet is more pointier
4. It takes 5 x 360 degree revolutions to fit either type of collet to finger tightness.
5. and about another 1/2 or 3/4 to fully tighten - no difference between the two in the threading.
6. When the bits are fully tightened, the air die collet remains unchanged.i.e. no sign of wear.
7. whereas the dremel collet (aluminium and steel) will deform slighlty or wear a ring around the head.

Conclusion: whilst the dremel collets will fit and work, I have my doubts they will last as long.

I no longer use collets on my dremel becuase I have a flexi shaft and a mini chuck on the end for the type of work I use it for its adequate, I use it free hand so not concerned about run out.
The air die collets are far superior in quality and being a thicker material will last longer. Plus I believe it may be stainless/polished.

Now the quest is to find spare replacement collets for the air grinder. I wonder if CTC have them?

nearnexus
24th August 2013, 07:48 PM
I'll try to summarise without taking pictures, because its now getting dark in the shed...

<snip>

Now the quest is to find spare replacement collets for the air grinder. I wonder if CTC have them?

Thanks GTVi that really is an excellent reply.

I doubt you will be able to source collets from CTC .

Looking on the web I drew a blank on any replacement collets.

Rob

nearnexus
24th August 2013, 10:06 PM
Searched the web without luck trying to find air die grinder collets for these pencil units.

But I did find these:

1 SET OF 4X Brass Collet Fits Dremel Rotary Tools Include 1mm 1 6mm 2 3mm 3 2mm | eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/190883124767?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649)

and at great expense I bought a set :cool:

which I will rework to make em fit properly.

Although this bit in red at the bottom of the page is a bit of a worry "notice:Actual size and measurements may have a little bit of a gap" - huh ?

It's only money.

Rob

Oldneweng
24th August 2013, 11:13 PM
I was beaten to the punch by GTVi. I tried to post this morning on this subject but gave up after waiting ages for the page to load. GTVi did a better job than I would have anyway.

One thing I want to point out is that in my case it reqires much more tension on the nut to tighten the air grinder collet. I did a rough runout check with a DI and at first found the shaft was loose in the collet still despite doing it up quite tight. Maybe something jamming the slots in the collet. Runout for both the original and the dremel was too close to pick any difference. About 0.001 in about 1 inch out from the collet. The shaft stayed at 0.001 in when pushed each way so this would be bearing movement.

I had a look at the moulded plastic tray the die grinder comes in and mine does not have a spot for an extra collet.

Rob I think the brass ones you ordered will be an improvement on the aluminium ones. I have some reservations about the softness given that they are not exactly the right shape.

Dean

Oldneweng
24th August 2013, 11:22 PM
After thinking long and hard about it I finally bought a set of brass collets too. It is a big investment after all.:rolleyes:

Dean

GTVi
25th August 2013, 12:55 AM
1 SET OF 4X Brass Collet Fits Dremel Rotary Tools Include 1mm 1 6mm 2 3mm 3 2mm | eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/190883124767?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649)

Rob

Perfect! Ordered a set. ;)

I'd expect brass to be more durable than AL in this scenario.

Cheers,
Bill

Ueee
25th August 2013, 01:42 AM
How can they even post them at that price?? Let alone make them.

Please let us know how they go when they turn up.

Ew

krisfarm
26th August 2013, 01:36 PM
Hi All,
My air grinder purchased from Melbourne Tools just arrived. It only has one collet chuck in it,the 3mm one. When I get a chance I will give it a run, it looks OK.
Bob

Abratool
26th August 2013, 06:42 PM
After a fruitless search at Bunnings and being a cheap skate , I bought a budget grinder from "Melbourne Tools" - Grinding Stones AIR DIE Grinder Wrenches Tool Combi SET ALL Grinding KIT | eBay (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/221198648456?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com.au%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_sacat%3D0%26_from%3DR40%26_nkw%3D221198648456%26_rdc%3D1)

BT

ps , Might be an opportunity to put Marcel to work - http://www.woodworkforums.com/f65/its-stuarts-fault-optical-acquisition-174817/#post1683270

Bob
Likewise here.
I have been to Bunnings Dural NSW a number of times & they have not heard of the small grinder.
I do not have a lot of use for one of these units but at the price will follow your suggestion & get one from Melbourne Tools.
Have you got yours yet?
Did it come with only the one collet?
regards
Bruce

Anorak Bob
26th August 2013, 07:22 PM
Bob
Likewise here.
I have been to Bunnings Dural NSW a number of times & they have not heard of the small grinder.
I do not have a lot of use for one of these units but at the price will follow your suggestion & get one from Melbourne Tools.
Have you got yours yet?
Did it come with only the one collet?
regards
Bruce

Disappointingly I'm still empty handed Bruce. Boomtown is further than Ballina.:no:

Abratool
26th August 2013, 08:13 PM
Disappointingly I'm still empty handed Bruce. Boomtown is further than Ballina.:no:

Bob
Like Boomtown, Ballina is a nice place, spent a lot of time there on holidays with the relos as a young bloke, a lot of years ago. (Say 60)
Lighthouse beach had a good wave, I got washed out to sea there, swam around the headland, to the next northern beach, caught a wave in, without a shark grabbing me.
Krisfarm ( Bob) would know what I am talking about, including good swimming holes at North Creek,
Shores Bay & the wattle stained water at Lennox Head.
Yes Ballina, a nice place.
Getting back to collets for the micro grinder I think the brass ones would be OK for most jobs.
Been to Perth a few times & now with the caravan it would be an easy & interesting trip.
Much easier than sleeping on the ground, camping, as we did a few years back.
regards
Bruce

krisfarm
26th August 2013, 10:01 PM
Abratool
Bruce you have a good memory to remember the Ballina beaches,they are all still good for surfing when the conditions are right. In the last few years we have had a lot of floods that leave a lot of junk floating around, that is not good for surfing. I have just given my grinder a bit of a run after doing the mods that Rob (nearnexus) suggested-thanks Rob. Both mods sure need doing. The grinder ran nice and smooth with very little vibration, I did notice that the supplied mounted points vary in diameter somewhat some only fit into the chuck around 12mm and others slide right in. I will check it out in the morning when the light is better to see what is going on. I just ordered a set of those expensive brass collets as well.
Bob

Oldneweng
26th August 2013, 10:37 PM
Abratool
Bruce you have a good memory to remember the Ballina beaches,they are all still good for surfing when the conditions are right. In the last few years we have had a lot of floods that leave a lot of junk floating around, that is not good for surfing. I have just given my grinder a bit of a run after doing the mods that Rob (nearnexus) suggested-thanks Rob. Both mods sure need doing. The grinder ran nice and smooth with very little vibration, I did notice that the supplied mounted points vary in diameter somewhat some only fit into the chuck around 12mm and others slide right in. I will check it out in the morning when the light is better to see what is going on. I just ordered a set of those expensive brass collets as well.
Bob

There is going to be a shortage of them soon. :B

Dean

Abratool
27th August 2013, 06:28 PM
Bob & Bob
I lashed out on the Air Micro Grinder from Melb Tools & also purchased the Brass Collet set.
I reckon this tool could be handy !
regards
Bruce

nearnexus
27th August 2013, 06:32 PM
Bob & Bob
I lashed out on the Air Micro Grinder from Melb Tools & also purchased the Brass Collet set.
regards
Bruce

Good move.

They are very handy - but you must have the burrs etc.

Rob

Anorak Bob
28th August 2013, 10:13 PM
Bob & Bob
regards
Bruce

I hope you do better than I have Bruce. Mine was delivered today. The spindle does not turn freely. It feels like there is some foreign matter in the bearings. I have not attempted to run the thing.

I have a dilemma, do I return it to the seller at a cost of $13.40 and endure the 20 minute wait in the line at the post office or do I walk out and throw it in the Sulo bin?

Ueee
28th August 2013, 10:22 PM
The seller seems to have run out. Must have been a rush on them....
I'll have to find another ebay seller to get one from. I'm sure that will be hard.....:q

Has the seller said anything about it BT?

Cheers,
Ew

Anorak Bob
28th August 2013, 10:32 PM
I'll have to find another ebay seller to get one from. I'm sure that will be hard.....:q

Has the seller said anything about it BT?

Cheers,
Ew

Not yet Ew,

I sent the seller a message only two minutes ago.

Bob.

Abratool
28th August 2013, 10:38 PM
I hope you do better than I have Bruce. Mine was delivered today. The spindle does not turn freely. It feels like there is some foreign matter in the bearings. I have not attempted to run the thing.

I have a dilemma, do I return it to the seller at a cost of $13.40 and endure the 20 minute wait in the line at the post office or do I walk out and throw it in the Sulo bin?
Bob
That is indeed annoying, as I thought with all of the buyers being happy, the units would be OK.
It could be the vanes in the rotor could be a whisker too long, that happens every so often & could cause the problem. The vanes rub on the end plates in the motor & cause a little binding.
I am only guessing but when in business a lot of my work was sorting out air tool problems, & this happened even with quality brand new yank tools which I imported at that time.
Easily fixed by taking apart & filing or sanding off a little off the canvas bakelite or plastic vanes length.
Only a guess !
Suggest hang on to yours till I get mine or perhaps others owners could comment.
regards
Bruce
ps This cheap stuff can be frustrating.

Ueee
28th August 2013, 10:46 PM

:doh:no they haven't it was another Aussy seller that i had saved in my watch list that had run out...:doh:

Anorak Bob
28th August 2013, 10:57 PM
Bob
That is indeed annoying, as I thought with all of the buyers being happy, the units would be OK.
It could be the vanes in the rotor could be a whisker too long, that happens every so often & could cause the problem. The vanes rub on the end plates in the motor & cause a little binding.
I am only guessing but when in business a lot of my work was sorting out air tool problems, & this happened even with quality brand new yank tools which I imported at that time.
Easily fixed by taking apart & filing or sanding off a little off the canvas bakelite or plastic vanes length.
Only a guess !
Suggest hang on to yours till I get mine or perhaps others owners could comment.
regards
Bruce
ps This cheap stuff can be frustrating.

I'll wait and see if the seller responds. The idea of buying something new and having to fix it when others have purchased the same and not experienced any problem, is galling.

BT

Here's Joe's reply -

Hi Bob

Thanks for letting me know this first.
It will get a certain friction when you rotate the spindle, for safety purpose. Coz this tool gonna rotate more than 50000 RPM, and when you turn it off, it will take too long to stop without this friction.
Would you please try it on you compressor under 90 PSI?
If there is any faulty parts, I am more than happy to replace it.

Best Regards
Joe

- melbourne_tools_shop

Then......

Dear melbourne_tools_shop,

Hello Joe,

Thanks for the swift response. This is more than dragging friction. The spindle feels like it's catching on something. It has a rough gritty feel
Regards
Bob.

No worries mate, I will send you a new spinder tomorrow
Regards
Joe

- melbourne_tools_shop

I guess I'll just have to wait a bit to find out what a spinder is.:)

GTVi
29th August 2013, 01:07 AM
I may get jealous if I see your spinder :)

http://www.seeyourheartbeat.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/product_full/Spinder%20Fietsdrager%20Falcon%20Elite%20RCE-2-FN.jpg

Abratool
29th August 2013, 09:48 AM
I'll wait and see if the seller responds. The idea of buying something new and having to fix it when others have purchased the same and not experienced any problem, is galling.

BT

Here's Joe's reply -

Hi Bob

Thanks for letting me know this first.
It will get a certain friction when you rotate the spindle, for safety purpose. Coz this tool gonna rotate more than 50000 RPM, and when you turn it off, it will take too long to stop without this friction.
Would you please try it on you compressor under 90 PSI?
If there is any faulty parts, I am more than happy to replace it.

Best Regards
Joe

- melbourne_tools_shop

Then......

Dear melbourne_tools_shop,

Hello Joe,

Thanks for the swift response. This is more than dragging friction. The spindle feels like it's catching on something. It has a rough gritty feel
Regards
Bob.

No worries mate, I will send you a new spinder tomorrow
Regards
Joe

- melbourne_tools_shop

I guess I'll just have to wait a bit to find out what a spinder is.:)

Bob
The friction & waiting for the 50,000 rpm spindle to stop sounds a bit of a "doubtful" story, but at least you are getting a replacement, so all could be good !
regards
Bruce

nearnexus
29th August 2013, 10:06 AM
Bit unlucky on that one Bob, but might finish up with two.

Sounds like the dealer is OK on this.

Just slightly OT, I was using a stainless steel wire wheel in my pencil grinder a few days ago and when I finished I took off my goggles and felt like a hair or someting on my nose.

Found that one of the wire shards from the brush had broken off and was sticking in my nose :o

Didn't feel a thing at the time (very fine shards).

Could have been my eye, so be careful with these unts.

Some of the Dremel attachments around are not designed for this sort of activity, and under a lot more duress than intended.

Rob

GTVi
29th August 2013, 11:02 AM
+1 I agree. The wire wheels are bad enough on the dremel, so I can appreciate it when you try and use them on an air grinder, they fall apart easily. I use them often when cleaning up aluminium to get into hard to get places.

Incidentally while on the subject, I do a lot of cutting on ABS "plastic" car parts. I make my own cutting disks by using the bottom of an old tin can, cut a 5/10 cent round disk shape and use it to cut plastic in a controlled manner without burning it. Just a little money saving tip.

nearnexus
29th August 2013, 11:19 AM
+1 I agree. The wire wheels are bad enough on the dremel, so I can appreciate it when you try and use them on an air grinder, they fall apart easily. I use them often when cleaning up aluminium to get into hard to get places.

Incidentally while on the subject, I do a lot of cutting on ABS "plastic" car parts. I make my own cutting disks by using the bottom of an old tin can, cut a 5/10 cent round disk shape and use it to cut plastic in a controlled manner without burning it. Just a little money saving tip.

What a great idea re the little DIY cutting saws.

I generally use the friction discs and get the plastic melting/burning issue as you say.

Do you serrate the edge in some way?

Must try this :U

Rob

nearnexus
29th August 2013, 11:26 AM
Just found these on Ebay:

LOT 10 X 22mm Stainless Cutting Awtooth Blade SAW Edge Discs Grinder Dremel Wood | eBay (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Lot-10-x-22mm-stainless-Cutting-Awtooth-Blade-Saw-Edge-Discs-Grinder-Dremel-Wood-/181111362681?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item2a2b141479)

What do you recon ?

Looks pretty cheap to me.

Rob

GTVi
29th August 2013, 11:34 AM
What a great idea re the little DIY cutting saws.

I generally use the friction discs and get the plastic melting/burning issue as you say.

Do you serrate the edge in some way?

Must try this :U

Rob

When you cut the discs just cut them to be say 20 sided, i.e. many straight cuts...that way its not a perfect circle.

nearnexus
30th August 2013, 02:26 PM
Been at it again :)

Here's the latest video.

Pencil air die grinder speed test - how fast can a micro die grinder really go ? - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-2UOSp1Ptc&feature=c4-overview&list=UUXGgjDg8p1nJBgHdxPdvkjQ)

Cheers

Rob

eskimo
30th August 2013, 02:59 PM
Been at it again :)

Here's the latest video.

Pencil air die grinder speed test - how fast can a micro die grinder really go ? - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-2UOSp1Ptc&feature=c4-overview&list=UUXGgjDg8p1nJBgHdxPdvkjQ)

Cheers

Rob

a bench that has space on it is a sign that that the owner has a sick mind

as usual another good howto vid

nearnexus
30th August 2013, 07:17 PM
a bench that has space on it is a sign that that the owner has a sick mind

as usual another good howto vid

Thanks Eskimo.

The state of the bench generally reflects the rest of the shed :)

A while back the wife of a mate of mine visited the shed to pickup a rotary hoe I lent them, and as the door opened and the soft smell of diesel and machine oil wafted out, she commented to me "this smells like a real work shop. I bet you spend a lot of time down here", and I had to agree.

Some times things can be too clean and orderly.

Rob

blouis79
17th September 2013, 03:09 PM
I have used in the past for name engraving on things:
a. a dental technicians tool with a flex shaft that fits on a bench grinder spindle - heavy shaft, low speed
b. a hanging motor (KaVo) like the shopping mall engravers use - 20,000 rpm
c. a cheap 12v arlec supertool - cheap and nasty except that it does have multiple collets and fits tiny drill bits - did the job with bur to bore snake eye holes in steering column lock headless bolts - still the thing I use most often for fiddly little bits just because it's easy to get out and it is quiet
d. a micro die grinder just like the on in this thread that I got several years ago from tradetools (was reasonable at the time considering the alternatives) - great except for the screaming banshee noise that's hard to muffle - definitely needs earplugs; only came with one 3mm collet but I pinch the collet from the Arlec for dental size burs; I use it mostly for engraving things using dental/jewellers burs
https://www.tradetools.com/products/JW101-1K

Saw near identical product still for sale at Bunnies this week - about $30 IIRC. Also found Hitachi cordless micro grinder GP10DL similar to a Dremel cordless - on master's web site for <$100 but never managed to find a real one to look at. Never really liked the large size of the Dremel and similar.

Other option would be a dental micromotor handpiece. (eg Dental Micromotor | eBay (http://www.ebay.com.au/bhp/dental-micromotor)) Thinking I might get one one day.....

For mounting in a clamp like the video in the first post, the metal body of the air micro die grinder is clearly superior. I'm guessing a dental micromotor would be a lot quieter. (Don't the fingernail shops use something like that?)

The most useful accessory I have is a German jeweller's diamond disc saw fixed on dental size shaft - got from a jewellers supplies many years ago. Chinese ones cheap as chips on ebay these days Diamond Cutting Disc | eBay (http://www.ebay.com.au/bhp/diamond-cutting-disc)

The most annoying thing about the air micro die grinder is knowing how much oil it needs to stay alive without too much oil going everywhere, or bearings drying out and dying. The supplied mini oiler doesn't have instructions an I presume is meant to supply oil "fumes" down the line somehow. Name brand air micro die grinders seem to sell in the 200-500 range.

nearnexus
17th September 2013, 06:50 PM
I haven't used the diamond discs. I'm interested.

quote ] The most useful accessory I have is a German jeweller's diamond disc saw fixed on dental size shaft - got from a jewellers supplies many years ago. Chinese ones cheap as chips on ebay these days Diamond Cutting Disc | eBay [= end quote

Can you give us some more information on this please?

So overall you think the cheap micro air die grinders are pretty good value for money?

Cheers

Rob

PS the supplied oilers are crap. Too much oil and no control.

Sorry guys but the goddam link has taken over my reply :?

(http://www.ebay.com.au/bhp/diamond-cutting-disc)

blouis79
17th September 2013, 08:02 PM
I haven't used the diamond discs. I'm interested.

I just double checked, it's swiss not german. The one i have is Edenta 355.524.220HP. Edenta.ch doesn't seem to have a jewellery catalog. For illustration, see Balsas Dental, Edenta, Discos de Diamante (http://www.balsasdentalmx.com/BD/Disco_de_Diamante.html) second column third row. There are lots of different shapes - not sure what they are all for. Max 15,000rpm.

Edenta (http://www.edenta.ch/start.asp?sprache=1) "The English version will be available soon."

The disc is very thin and a bit flexible. So it works a bit like the ultrathin angle grinder cutting discs on a much smaller scale. Works for cutting, fiing, sharpening, shaping small things. The flex makes it gentle if using the face, especially if speed is controlled. Usually I use the junk Arlec Supertool. It's easier to maintain a straight cut with the diamond disc than with a big file. Diamonds are a boy's best friend!

The discs listed on ebay may be thicker and less flexible, since they have interchangeable discs with a screw, so YMMV.

I'd say for $30 the micro air grinder is a bargain. I'm thinking of getting a spare from Bunnies, as long as it has the smaller collet for dental burs as well. (don't forget the earplugs) The cons are noise, low torque, and lack of portability.

BTW, I saw the 200pc Hitachi accessory kit (3mm shaft) at Tradetools. Think it was $35? Same as bundled with the hitachi mini grinder - see photo Hitachi Mini Grinder With Accessory Set 200pk - Masters Home Improvement (http://www.masters.com.au/product/100486845/hitachi-mini-grinder-with-accessory-set-200pk)

nearnexus
17th September 2013, 08:10 PM
[QUOTE=blouis79;1697849.

The disc is very thin and a bit flexible. So it works a bit like the ultrathin angle grinder cutting discs on a much smaller scale. Works for cutting, fiing, sharpening, shaping small things. The flex makes it gentle if using the face, especially if speed is controlled. Usually I use the junk Arlec Supertool. It's easier to maintain a straight cut with the diamond disc than with a big file. Diamonds are a boy's best friend!
[/QUOTE]

So do you recon the diamond discs are equal to a small friction disc for cutting steel ?

Cheers

Rob

Master Splinter
17th September 2013, 09:12 PM
Has anyone tried the dental style diamond burrs? They seem very cheap...

10 Boxes Dental High Speed Handpiece 157 Kinds Diamond Burs | eBay (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/10-Boxes-Dental-High-Speed-Handpiece-157-Kinds-Diamond-Burs-/330817785071?pt=AU_Business_Industrial_Medical_Scientific_Equipment2&hash=item4d0646ccef)

blouis79
17th September 2013, 10:18 PM
So do you recon the diamond discs are equal to a small friction disc for cutting steel ?

Cheers

Rob

here is a load of dental diamond disc brands - apparently used for ceramic. edenta seems to have a big range and low price in Usa compared to aus.
Pearson Dental Supplies Supplies (http://www.pearsondental.com/catalog/subcat.asp?majcatid=19&catid=4833&cat_link=&subcat_link=&dpt=0)

i have used mine for cutting off long steel and stainless screws. they are fairly hard. does a fine job. super thin kerf seems to help.

Abratool
21st September 2013, 04:27 PM
Just finished making a holder for the $30 Pencil Air Grinder to allow it to be held in the toolpost of the Hercus 260 lathe.
Made it in aluminium with a split holder arrangement so that its on the lathe centre height when clamped into the toolpost.
Packing can be applied under the holder to bring it above centre for end mill sharpening as per the earlier You Tube.
Machined it up in the Hercus O Mill & then drilled & tapped for 2 only Csk 8-32 screws, then set it up in the 4 jaw chuck bored it out to .613" bore to accept the body of the Air Grinder.
All I need now is a mandrel 1/8" spindle with a suitable collet (to be made) & a thin cut off friction type grinding wheel.
If anyone can suggest where I might get these, it would be appreciated.
regards
Bruce

Oldneweng
21st September 2013, 08:30 PM
Just finished making a holder for the $30 Pencil Air Grinder to allow it to be held in the toolpost of the Hercus 260 lathe.
Made it in aluminium with a split holder arrangement so that its on the lathe centre height when clamped into the toolpost.
Packing can be applied under the holder to bring it above centre for end mill sharpening as per the earlier You Tube.
Machined it up in the Hercus O Mill & then drilled & tapped for 2 only Csk 8-32 screws, then set it up in the 4 jaw chuck bored it out to .613" bore to accept the body of the Air Grinder.
All I need now is a mandrel 1/8" spindle with a suitable collet (to be made) & a thin cut off friction type grinding wheel.
regards
Bruce

Most major hardware stores stock a range of cutoff disks for the dremel and similar. These will do the job. There are also HSS cutting blades available on EBay and other sources. Last night I watched a Keith Fenner video where he found a HSS cutting blade that was about 8mm in diameter. He laughed himself silly.

I would be inclined to make a mandrel as the ones supplied as per Dremel are a bit basic and have very little support for the cutoff wheel. They use two plastic washers.

Dean

Steamwhisperer
21st September 2013, 09:36 PM
regards
Bruce

Very nice Bruce, neat and tidy as usual :2tsup:

Phil

Abratool
22nd September 2013, 12:05 AM
Very nice Bruce, neat and tidy as usual :2tsup:

Phil
Phil
Thanks for your kind comments Phil.
It was not a piece of rocket science to make this holder, however I do like fiddling around making this stuff.
Its just good to read what others do on this forum, & continue learning.
Just very good therapy.
Thanks again.
Bruce

Abratool
22nd September 2013, 12:34 PM
Most major hardware stores stock a range of cutoff disks for the dremel and similar. These will do the job. There are also HSS cutting blades available on EBay and other sources. Last night I watched a Keith Fenner video where he found a HSS cutting blade that was about 8mm in diameter. He laughed himself silly.

I would be inclined to make a mandrel as the ones supplied as per Dremel are a bit basic and have very little support for the cutoff wheel. They use two plastic washers.

Dean
Dean
Thanks, I have just been to Bunnings & purchased a set of Dremel no 426 cutoff grinding wheels (5 wheels)
also for the low price got a Dremel no 402 mandrel. All up cost $15 for both.
Agree with you, the cut off wheels needs metal support washers each side & I will make these together with a 1/8" dia collet to fit the air pencil grinder.
Thanks again for the hint.
regards
Bruce