PDA

View Full Version : vicmarc mechanical variable speed

woolclasser
14th August 2013, 07:52 PM
last weekend i picked up an old vl200 for a good price and when i got a chance to look at it properly today i realised that the lathe had a mechanical variable speed unit.a few questions, are they noisy in operation, what maintenance is required and how slow can you get the speed down to.
cheers
jim

dai sensei
14th August 2013, 08:29 PM
Send a PM to SWINO (Todd), he is taking one up to Vicmarc to get fixed this week and gets all the Gold Coast Club lathes (12 large Vicmarcs) serviced by them

turnerted
15th August 2013, 05:45 PM
G'day
I have one of these.Minimum speed is about 200rpm. Most of the noise you get is from the belt drive. There is a grease nipple on the speed changeing mechanism. Don't attempt to change speed unless the lathe is running. If using the lathe flat out, slow the speed down before stopping it. I discovered a few days ago that it doesnt like starting flat out, it tripped the cutout on the powerboard.
I bought mine second hand about 10 years ago and it does a lot of work and very happy with it.
Anything else you want to know about it just ask and I'll try and answer.
Ted

woolclasser
15th August 2013, 08:14 PM
thanks for that guys, thats what i was looking for. Neil i'll follow that tip up with swino
cheers
jim

Mobyturns
17th August 2013, 07:17 AM
Still very very good lathes. Hope you get lots of joy using it & it won't let you down. Strong as. Just need a little knowlkedge of how to use the mechanical VS correctly. A mate picked up an old Vicmarc 850 a while back, still a great lathe. Note there is a VL250 mec VS for sale in the market place (no connection to seller).

rsser
20th August 2013, 09:16 PM
Yeah, a forum member here bought 'The Wolf's' old MVS 300 that'd done plenty of heavy work.

I'd crawled over it with stethoscope and dial gauge and couldn't find anything of concern.

woolclasser
21st August 2013, 07:51 PM
Yes I am glad that i got it. have spent the last two weekends cleaning up the twenty years of grime that education dept machines acquire and am just waiting for a sparky to arrive in the near future to tidy up the electrics and then i can replace my old woodfast. Should be a bit of difference.
jim