PDA

View Full Version : What to do, what to do.

Scott
17th August 2013, 09:19 PM
I value the peanut galleries advice and have come to you all cap in hand. A few years ago I picked up a blank of fiddleback Blackwood. It's taken me this long however yesterday and today I decided I could do justice to it. I'm currently working through the grits and I'm thinking of what finish to apply. Over the last 6 months I've started using nitrocellulose lacquer (NCL) but somehow think NCL isn't going to do justice to this piece.

So, dear reader, what sort of finish do you think will do this platter justice? Attached is a pic of the turned item, at this stage sanded too 200 (going to go to 400) with some sanding sealer applied to show off the grain.

http://www.woodworkforums.com/members/56431-scott/albums/scott-s-grot/281464-fbbw-platter.jpg

Thanks in advance.

dai sensei
17th August 2013, 10:42 PM
Kunos Oil

RETIRED
17th August 2013, 10:43 PM
What gloss on the Nitro? 30% rubbed back between coats will make it pop.

Pat
17th August 2013, 11:19 PM
I'd go higher on the sanding, up to 1200 then Triple E, then Kuno.

powderpost
17th August 2013, 11:23 PM
Enough sanding sealer to fill the grain then three coats of 60% lacquer rubbed back with 0000 steel wool between coats then buffed with EEE when finished. Go up to at least 800#. That will look fantastic. You will be able to use it as a mirror to shave... :2tsup: Send it up here for me to play with, I will promise not to cut it up. :).
Jim

chucky
17th August 2013, 11:26 PM
Scott, I would be using N/C 30% as suggested. If you talk to, our friend KW the answer would be N/C. See you on Tuesday night all going well. The platter looks great.

Scott
17th August 2013, 11:26 PM
What gloss on the Nitro? 30% rubbed back between coats will make it pop.

Yup, mine is diluted to about 30% which was recommended to me by Ken Wraight.

Scott
17th August 2013, 11:29 PM
Scott, I would be using N/C 30% as suggested. If talk to our friend KW I think the answer would be N/C. See you on Tuesday night all going well. The platter looks great.

Ta Ian, if I finish it before then I'll bring it in.

Ruddy
17th August 2013, 11:31 PM
Scott, I cannot give you advice on the recommended finish but I can tell you that you have a spectacular piece of Blackwood!
hope you post a pic of the final result.
regards

Scott
17th August 2013, 11:31 PM
I'd go higher on the sanding, up to 1200 then Triple E, then Kuno.

Thanks Pat. I know it sounds silly but I've never been one to go any higher than 400. Do you think there is much difference if you do?

Scott
17th August 2013, 11:36 PM
Scott, I cannot give you advice on the recommended finish but I can tell you that you have a spectacular piece of Blackwood!
hope you post a pic of the final result.
regards

Oh yeah, it's a very special piece of wood. It didn't look like it had much fiddleback at first but when I started sanding it and splashing bits of sealer on it, I nearly wet myself. I really can't wait till it's finished. I did intend on selling the piece but I think it might be a keeper.

Kunos Oil

Seen Kunos been mentioned a fair bit lately. What is Kunos anyway, is it like Tung?

Peter57
17th August 2013, 11:51 PM
Just read the MSDS and it appears to be mainly a mix of linseed oil and stand oil (specially treated linseed oil) with some metallic driers added to help form a harder more cross linked film. Looks like interesting stuff.

RETIRED
18th August 2013, 12:04 AM
Yup, mine is diluted to about 30% which was recommended to me by Ken Wraight.

I meant 30% gloss.

Paul39
18th August 2013, 02:10 AM
Beautiful piece!!

I prefer tung oil finish by any number of makers. I like a baby skin soft finish rather than gloss.

Starting from where you are I would apply the tung oil while the piece is rotating on the lathe at about 600 rpm and let dry overnight. Apply just enough to cover evenly.

Next day with piece turning on the lathe, use 320 or 400 grit wet with tung oil and gently sand over all, then using a cloth dampened with tung oil rub all over and let dry overnight. You can repeat this to get higher gloss.

Buffing with an old athletic sock the next day will also bring up more gloss.

There are many paths to the same place.

Pat
18th August 2013, 08:35 AM
Thanks Pat. I know it sounds silly but I've never been one to go any higher than 400. Do you think there is much difference if you do?

Hello Scott, the higher grits start to "polish" the timber adding to the luster that you get with finish.

I only do this for "special" pieces, ie for my wife or if the piece dictates it. For most pieces 400 - 600 then triple E. Additional grits only take seconds to apply, just the case of cleaning the piece after every grit with a tack cloth to remove the dust.

I'm just a weekend hack, so I have the time to play with different ways of doing things.

Sturdee
18th August 2013, 05:06 PM
I would sand it to 800 or even 1000, only takes a few minutes more, and then use Minwax Antique Oil. A few coats of that is magnificent. Better and less work then Kunos oil.

Peter.