PDA

View Full Version : Testing Irwin Marples high impact chisels M750

Ben Dono
18th August 2013, 07:54 AM
Hey guys,
Has anyone tested these out yet?

IRWIN MARPLESŪ M750 High Impact Chisels - Tools - IRWIN TOOLS (http://www.irwin.com.au/tools/chisels-hand-planes/irwin-marples-m750-high-impact-chisels)

I am after a hard use set of chisels and I was impressed with the Stanley thru tang as far as edge retention but the handles have a bit of play in them now which is starting to bug me. Also the striker cap on the Stanley thru tang chisels bounces out over time.

I did a google search and I can not find anyone talking about them.

delbs
18th August 2013, 10:10 AM
I was given the set of these chisels plus a veritas cabinetmakers mallet for my birthday just a few weeks back.

I have only sharpen 2 of them at the moment as but im really happy with them. Edge retention for me is fine at the moment and haven't seen them lose their edge as quick as my old Stanley's do :)

Let me know if there are any photos you want me to take or any extra info you want. Happy to help

Ben Dono
20th August 2013, 08:28 PM
Thanks for the reply delbs! Hold off on the photos mate. They will just give me tool envy!

It was the edge retention and how well the handle holds onto the tang over time was what I was after.
I'm surprised I could not find anything on the net other than retail sites with info.
Thanks again mate!

delbs
21st August 2013, 03:36 PM
Yeah no worries sorry i haven't owned them that long but so far thry look to be very well built. I'm just going through flattening the backs on them then sharpening so i can use them all.

They come in a nicely presented ply case also. I'll take some photos and post them up this arvo

delbs
21st August 2013, 05:56 PM