PDA

View Full Version : Queensland Maple Box.

Scott
19th August 2013, 09:52 PM
Thought I'd show you one of my items I completed a couple of weeks ago. My daughter turned 5 last week and, out of the blue, she came up to me asked if I could make something for her birthday. I knew she'd love some sort of box with a lid and purchased a (pretty) pewter lid and decided to turn a box to match. I had saved up some nice Queensland Maple from Mapleman for such a project and this is the end result.

The overall diameter is 85mm (approx. 3.5") and the height, without the lid, is 45mm (approx. 1.75"). I've sanded to 400 grit, friction polished and coated with 30% Nitrocellulose Lacquer. I'm still playing around with photography setups and am not entirely happy with the lighting. None the less, I think the photo is reasonable.

The 'commissioner' was absolutely delighted and the box now takes pride of place on her bedside table.

Critiques and comments more than welcome.

http://www.woodworkforums.com/members/56431-scott/albums/scott-s-grot/281753-qld-maple-box.jpg

Randir
20th August 2013, 10:48 AM
Love it, and it's really nice that she's interested in your work. Where did you find the lid?

Scott
20th August 2013, 11:19 AM
Love it, and it's really nice that she's interested in your work. Where did you find the lid?

Thanks Randir. Got the lid from Pop's Shed, they've got some other great designs in various sizes.

tdrumnut
20th August 2013, 11:39 AM
No critique Scott only a comment "a ripper mate"

RETIRED
20th August 2013, 06:15 PM
Oh dear, another "love" job. :rolleyes::D

smiife
20th August 2013, 08:07 PM
hi scott,
i could not really critique ,cos i could not find anything wrong:U
great job, looks fantastic well done:2tsup:
cheers smiife:2tsup:

Pat
20th August 2013, 09:03 PM
Watch out Scott, next she'll be getting married and remember that you made a document box for a mate, several years ago and then hit you for one and pick your most expensive timber . . . :;