PDA

View Full Version : Ryobi 254 Radial arm saw

pjandre
21st May 2005, 11:32 AM
Guys

I am considering buying a second hand Ryobi model 254 Radial Arm Saw. I have not seen the saw yet but am a bit leary of the quality of some Ryobi products. Anyone know anything about this model saw and if it is a decent quality unit? I dont expect it to be up to Dewalt standard but dont want to travel 100 K's to look at a poor quality piece of gear. Also does anyone know about one of these saws costs new ?

Thanks
PJ

journeyman Mick
21st May 2005, 11:42 AM
PJ,
as far as I know these have been out of production for at least ten years now. The only Ryobi RAS I've seen have been 8" ones. They had an universal motor (brush motor, like in a portable drill etc, quite noisy). I'm no great fan of Radial arm saws though and prefer to use a table saw and a slide compound mitre saw. If you're on a budget and have space restrictions than a RAS may fot the bill. Pity you're not a bit closer as I've got a DeWalt RAS for sale.

Mick

pjandre
21st May 2005, 11:53 AM
Mick

Thanks for your reply. Can I ask why your not a fan of RAS. I am not a woodworking tradesman by any means, just a weekend warrior. I have young children and I thought this would be a good versatile tool to knock up storage, desk, bunkbeds, cubby house etc. Is it the setup of the saws your not a fan of ? What Can you tell me why you prefer a table saw and sliding compound saw?

Cheers
PJ

sailingamerican
21st May 2005, 01:08 PM
The saw you are looking at does not have much use. A good miter guage on the table saw or a good compound miter saw will make good cuts. The radial will not make a good miter cut. Compound cuts are seldom made. I cope all mine by hand when installing moldings. The radial arm saw is a lumber yard, contractors saw. It is good for cutting rafter angles, post and beams, and cutting studs to length. Studs are on the money today. 30 years ago they were a little off in length. If you need a batch cut for a special length it is great. but a compound miter saw will do that job better. I have a 12" Dewalt radial arm saw. The only thing I use it for is cross cut datos when I make cabinets or a book shelf. You will not be able to get parts for the saw. They quit selling them here in the US 20 years ago. The Saw you are looking at has an attachment so you can turn it up on end and use it as a router. I do not know where you could get collets today for the saw. I would pass unless it is $20 or $30 Even then I do not know what you would use it for. PS If you are going to get one machine make it a table saw. You can rip, cross cut, miter, dato and make box joints pluss more. A RAS is not safe for ripping and has to much play for anything else.