PDA

View Full Version : My pallet challenge bowl

corbs
22nd August 2013, 10:05 PM
Evening all, I'm guessing a few of you saw the pallet challenge (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f254/pallet-challenge-2013-announcements-winners-those-took-part-174828/) competition so for those who didn't... here is my entry with a few more behind the scenes pics.

Here (http://maxkrimmel.com/WoodTurning/SquarePlan/SquarePlan.html) is where I got my inspiration from as well.

I used Titebond II coloured with black oxide resin to get the glue lines. As you can see there is some colour bleed but overall I'm happy with the result. Finished with my standard Kunos Oil :)

Corbs

powderpost
22nd August 2013, 10:26 PM
Hi Corbs, not bad :2tsup:. If you do that again coat the surfaces with a diluted glue and let it dry before using the coloured glue. That will prevent glue bleed. A right pita but it works.

Jim

Nanigai
22nd August 2013, 10:39 PM
Hi Corbs, I'm not really a bowl guy & not a segmented one either but I actually like this.:2tsup:
The bleed is of no real consequence as its pine from a pallet so who cares.
I think it would be a great conversation starter.
Cheers, Ian

oreos40
22nd August 2013, 11:31 PM
thats cool! I like it!

corbs
22nd August 2013, 11:45 PM
Hi Corbs, not bad :2tsup:. If you do that again coat the surfaces with a diluted glue and let it dry before using the coloured glue. That will prevent glue bleed. A right pita but it works.

Jim

Thanks Jim, I wasn't aware of that but don't think I would have had time to complete the project by doing so even if I were :-

If I do it again it won't be out of pine and I will probably use veneers to get the contrasts rather than colour the glue :2tsup:

A Duke
23rd August 2013, 12:06 AM
Good one.
Glade I do not do turning or I would be having a go.
Regards

SNAFU11
23rd August 2013, 07:10 AM
I think ya have done a great job Corbs...looks good mate :2tsup:

Mick!!!

Mulgabill
23rd August 2013, 09:38 AM

Jim

That's a good tip Jim! Are we talking diluted PVA glue here???

Very inventive Corbs. The end result, given the time, looks great!

dr4g0nfly
24th August 2013, 06:24 AM
Is this a very clever idea or have I just missed these before.

I love it :2tsup::2tsup:

chuck1
24th August 2013, 08:50 AM
wow that's really nice bowl! I do like the red gum logs in the back ground of the first pic too!

chambezio
24th August 2013, 10:09 AM
I am always blown away as to how inventive people can be. To be able to foresee a bowl in a pallet!! I think its a great design and execution. To my mind it looks like papier mache. I like the pronounced glue lines. Yeh I like it a lot. Is it any wonder that we can sleep peacefully at night knowing that our armed forces have people like Corbs to lookout for us.

torchwood
24th August 2013, 01:50 PM
How cool is this?!

corbs
24th August 2013, 07:33 PM
... I do like the red gum logs in the back ground of the first pic too!

Thanks again team... Chuck, the logs in the background are Elm, the ends are sealed with paint. There's some great colour in them and I'm going to get some very nice bowls out of them as well :2tsup:

corbs
24th August 2013, 10:07 PM
Just to be clear guys, the idea isn't mine. I posted a link to the inspiration in my original post :)