PDA

View Full Version : Milling a big Budgeroo log

dai sensei
23rd August 2013, 10:35 PM
While I was at the last WWW show in Bris I bought a large Hairy Oak log from a guy. When I picked it up we discussed various timber species and he suggested I may be interested in a large Budgeroo log he had. Needless to say, being one of my favourite timbers, I bought it. Basically it ended up being ~4.6m long and varying from 0.5-0.6m dia with a 1.2m root ball/stem. It was still the biggest Budgeroo I had ever seen. When I had a look, there were also a large pile of other smaller trees stacked beside it, and yes I bought them too but sold most of them (large ute load) to SWINO (Todd). They included Budgeroo, Hairy Oak, Red Paperbark, Rose Sheoak, Sandalwood, some other type of Sheoak, and a mystery timber I am still trying to identify. Spent most of the day cutting these into 300-500mm long manageable lengths so didn't do much milling of the big log.

My milling set up is for 2.1m lengths, so I cut the root ball/stem off the big one, plus 2.1m and 1.3m lengths. I will mill the 2.1m length to 50mm thick for tops, and the 1.3m length to 100mm thick for legs/stringers etc. Photo is attached is the first slab after the cant.

Also shown is the log on my new log stands that work a treat. These are version 3 as the others had a few issues :rolleyes:. After lifting the log they are placed underneath and will support a log from 0.6 to 1.2 m high (the legs extend using pins).

I will finish the slabs tomorrow and will post more photos then.

Cheers

wood hacker
24th August 2013, 07:58 AM
That list of timbers makes me drool all over my keyboard. I'm with you Neil, budgeroo is one of my favorites as well. Looking forward to more pics.

cheers
WH

chambezio
24th August 2013, 10:22 AM
Hi Neil. Great photos of your exploits. Could you put up some more shots of your typical set up? I have "borrowed/pinched" some from BobL. Your stands with teeth are a great idea. I have a MS 380 with an Alaskan that gives me 300mm. So far I have been able to get away with 300mm as I have only been slicing limbs.

dai sensei
24th August 2013, 08:11 PM
Well with Gawdelpus's help I slabbed up both sections of log. The big one unfortunately had heaps of mud/termites up the pith for most of the way :C (shown in photos) so apart from turning my sharp chains to toothbrushes :~, it means they will become boards more than slabs :-. Typical, the small one only had a small mud line in the pith with most slabs either side good.
Since I hit a lot of mud, slabbing the big section proved very slow going, taking almost 1hr per slab with a lot of hard pushing :doh:. So we set up some pulleys with one end tied to the slabbing mill and the other to a tow strap tied to a tree. Simply pull on the rope, even sitting down :2tsup:, why didn't I think of this earlier :rolleyes:.

Ended up with 5 no. 50mm slabs and 3 no. 100mm slabs plus some decent cants for turning blanks. This timber is very dry, so very dusty work, but timber is ready to use. It will have to wait until I get back from trip though.

Had to leave the big stump behind for now, very big and looks solid, but covered in mud and probably 1t :o. Can't exactly put it in the back to take it home to clean/mill it :(.

MAPLEMAN
24th August 2013, 09:04 PM
That doesn't look like much fun at all :(

gawdelpus
24th August 2013, 09:19 PM
hehe, with a rope pulley system with 4 rollers a nice balanced ratio was achieved , these first slabs were very hard work and very slow going compared to most I have helped Neil with, Being able to sit and control the pressure of the cut was a big plus ,particularly as it was quite hot in the sun as well. Also kept him out of the firing line of the heat and ejected sawdust pouring out of the cut. First time I have seen Neil do a full cut of a slab with no sweat :) . Cheers ~ John :2tsup:

tdrumnut
24th August 2013, 11:52 PM
The end result makes it all worth it, nicely done chaps.

Bushmiller
26th August 2013, 08:52 PM
Well done men. That truly was a hairy log. Always disappointing to find degrade, but sounds and looks as though you recovered quite a bit.

Regards
Paul

In2Wood
29th August 2013, 09:11 AM
Nice work Neil That mud intrusion is a bummer, but maybe there is enough meat either side to allow you to joing boards to make slabs? Supposedly it would make them more stable. Nice looking timber though. I liked the look of your trestles - but how did you lift the log onto them?? Is this where you stuff your back and legs???
Clive

gawdelpus
29th August 2013, 09:48 AM
Nice work Neil That mud intrusion is a bummer, but maybe there is enough meat either side to allow you to joing boards to make slabs? Supposedly it would make them more stable. Nice looking timber though. I liked the look of your trestles - but how did you lift the log onto them?? Is this where you stuff your back and legs???
Clive

Clive I think the lifting frame is detailed elswhere in Neils adventures :) basically its a large recovery lifting jack , with a fork like adapter bolted on to go under the ends of the log. Then 2 swinging A frames are bolted at the top end of the jack that can be used for lateral stability, its a bit heavy and awkward , but can be used in a one man operation no problems , the last 2 pictures actually show the top section of the frame in the picture . Neil Is off slabbing some nice crows ash for the next couple of days, well thats the plan at least hehe, cheers ~ John

chambezio
29th August 2013, 10:07 AM
Only a few weeks back I had 3 days of slabbing some limbs from Camphor and Silky Oak. The logs had been sitting waiting for the Round Tuit for more than a year. They were still bloody heavy and to move them the 10 metres to the front of the shed to cut them I strung up a 6 X 2 hardwood onto the racks of the trailer and with hand winch swung them on to the stools for cutting

dai sensei
31st August 2013, 01:38 PM
Clive

Clive I think the lifting frame is detailed elswhere in Neils adventures :) basically its a large recovery lifting jack , with a fork like adapter bolted on to go under the ends of the log. Then 2 swinging A frames are bolted at the top end of the jack that can be used for lateral stability, its a bit heavy and awkward , but can be used in a one man operation no problems , the last 2 pictures actually show the top section of the frame in the picture . Neil Is off slabbing some nice crows ash for the next couple of days, well thats the plan at least hehe, cheers ~ John

Thanks John

Yes Clive, lifting jack is shown here: http://www.woodworkforums.com/f132/some-milling-macadamia-farm-169950/

Only a few weeks back I had 3 days of slabbing some limbs from Camphor and Silky Oak. The logs had been sitting waiting for the Round Tuit for more than a year. They were still bloody heavy and to move them the 10 metres to the front of the shed to cut them I strung up a 6 X 2 hardwood onto the racks of the trailer and with hand winch swung them on to the stools for cutting

My log lifter will do me, plus my logs are oftem a bit big for that set-up. Your idea is goo though for loading/unloading slabs maybe :rolleyes: