PDA

View Full Version : Eucalyptus

hughie
24th August 2013, 01:22 PM
Turned from Blue Mountains Eucalyptus, 9x5 or 12.5 x 22cm several coats of BLO dried then buffed. This stuff is very hard and chewed through edge on the tools very well. Tried Henry Taylor and Thompson gouges, Record HSS Chinese non fared any better than the other.

turnerted
24th August 2013, 05:38 PM
Another winner Hughie. I particularly like the way the colour change in the wood curves around it.
Ted

Pat
24th August 2013, 06:18 PM
E.Concretus?

Very nice Hughie, 1 thing, how the blazes do you do the blessed spiral. My brain is having great difficulty in processing this or is it the arvo of liquid refreshment?:U

dai sensei
24th August 2013, 09:02 PM
Absolutely beautiful :cool::2tsup:

DRMS
24th August 2013, 09:58 PM
Looks spectacular! I love the spiral grooves down the side.

Sawdust Maker
24th August 2013, 11:15 PM
noice

Paul39
25th August 2013, 10:52 AM
This stuff is very hard and chewed through edge on the tools very well. Tried Henry Taylor and Thompson gouges, Record HSS Chinese non fared any better than the other.

Beautiful piece. I like the way the direction of the flutes goes opposite the direction of the lighter section.

I have Thompson, Crown, and Benjamin's Best Chinese, bowl gouges and can't tell any difference between them in length of cutting time between sharpening, or how well they cut.. It is reassuring to see that you find the same.

I did spend more time honing the flute on the BB than the other two.

wheelinround
25th August 2013, 05:57 PM
:U Hughie dropped round this afternoon and brought this magnificent piece with him.

I had the pleasure of man handling it feeling the smooth finish, the masterful carved flutes, the crisp finished tails, inside it is as good to see the colour which is outside.

Hughie another fine piece destined for the Gallery and another happy customer. :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Ps My son and DiL and grandchildren who were also here also gave it :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

rsser
25th August 2013, 06:21 PM
Lovely piece Hughie.

dr4g0nfly
26th August 2013, 05:49 PM
Hughie,

straight Euc. No burr (Burl) or anything? a wonderful colour compared to the Euc that has gained a foothold over here.

Once again you make us poor Brits envious of your range of timbers.

smiife
26th August 2013, 08:28 PM
hi hughie,
very nice,well done:2tsup:
cheers smiife:2tsup: