PDA

View Full Version : Some Equipment That I have Made

Phil Spencer
21st May 2005, 06:44 PM
I needed to clean up my workshop so I made this vacumme cleaner and excractor fan, both work well although I would like to modify the vacumme and remove the filter and turn it into a cyclone any one have an idea how I could do this?

The fan is 16" in diameter has 10 blades The body is all wood construction and without the filter will change the air in my 20'x20' workshop four times exery minute with the filter fittet it changes the air about twice every minute.

Phil Spencer

amgsir
21st May 2005, 06:55 PM
Hi Phil,

No idea, however like the vac. How effective is it and is it easy to empty? Would be keen to know how you put it together!!

Cheers :rolleyes:

OtakiriLad
21st May 2005, 06:55 PM
How do you stop the thing chasing you round the shed? With a fan like that and then mounted on casters doesn't it move?

Keep this with filter to remove the fine airborne stuff and a separate system with cyclone for machine generated garbage.

Phil Spencer
21st May 2005, 07:08 PM
Hi Phil,

No idea, however like the vac. How effective is it and is it easy to empty? Would be keen to know how you put it together!!

Cheers :rolleyes:Hi Pete
The vacumme works very well, it is just a motor from an Electrolux ducted system. I used the plastic top and turned up a custom base from laminated MDF this was mounted on top of a 13 gal drum insude I made up a frame to hold a 3 micron filter this frame is about 8" long and 6" dia the inlet is mounted in the drums side parts and hose fittings are from Godfreys.

The top comes off to allow me to empty the drum the onle problem is that the filter clogs reasonably quickly I think I will have to dream up a baffle system all in all it works well and will almost suck the chrome off a tow ball.

Regards

Phil Spencer

Phil Spencer
21st May 2005, 07:15 PM
How do you stop the thing chasing you round the shed? With a fan like that and then mounted on casters doesn't it move?

Keep this with filter to remove the fine airborne stuff and a separate system with cyclone for machine generated garbage.
G'day OtakiriLad

Without the filter it does take off across the workshop with the filter is just manages to stay in one place, I will fit a set of wheels with brakes one day. The filter is 3 micron grade.

The other thing I did not consider was my dog, she likes to stand in the exhaust draught and get the wind in her face.

Regards

Phil Spencer

amgsir
21st May 2005, 11:25 PM
Phil,

Thanks for that, will give it a go, the idea of a drum in the garage apeals to me if only to see the look of my wife's face, she already thinks I am over induling in toys!!!!

(PS just joking, todate she has been very supportive however this might push her over the edge)

;)

NewLou
21st May 2005, 11:29 PM
Gidday

check out best of the best there you will find Wayne Daveys cyclone link..............The definitive DIY solution to all things cyclone in Australia is a top read and Wayne I'm sure would't mind giving you some advise

REgards Lou