PDA

View Full Version : Timbecon Catalogue

echnidna
21st May 2005, 07:31 PM
I just got the 2005 addenda to last years 2004 catalogue.
While I have much preferred to use Timbecon the addenda is a major PITA.
I couldn't be bothered reading a catalog then stuffing around with an addenda etc just to find what I'm looking for.
I have filed the addenda and obsolete cattlelog in the Waste Paper Bin.

The question is WHO SHOULD I BUY FROM IN FUTURE? :eek: :eek:

Wayne Davy
21st May 2005, 07:45 PM
echnidna,

I totally agree - cross matching the prices is a pain in the butt.

It was nice to see the new stuff in the back but it is a pain to be looking at something in the old catteldog and then checking the addendum to find it is discontinued!!!!

Pat
21st May 2005, 08:43 PM
PITA or not, it's TOOL ! :D :D :D :D

craigb
21st May 2005, 10:33 PM
Well when I checked the letterbox last night, there was as Timbecon envelope in there. Beauty thinks I until I realise that that was all it was. A bloody empty envelope. :eek: :rolleyes:

Why would Oz post deliver an empty envelope? :confused:

My letter box has a lock on it too so it wasn't emptied post delivery.

Munga
22nd May 2005, 08:49 AM
I agree it's very off putting to have to go through 2 cattledogs to find a price.http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon9.gif

Carba-Tec's won me http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon14.gif

Cheers Arch

bitingmidge
22nd May 2005, 09:53 AM
The question is WHO SHOULD I BUY FROM IN FUTURE?
The company with the best service.

I am a little surprised, or even amazed that a company gets canned for not updating it's catalogue completely, even after it's just provided the best Oz online presence in it's class (from my observation).

I haven't bought anything in recent times from Timbecon, but from all accounts on this BB their service is first rate, they sure as eggs haven't made enough out of me this year to update their catalogue.

How much have you guys contributed to their catalogue printing fund?

Why not judge a company by it's performance rather than by the amount of money it spends on one particular form of advertising?

Or do we stop dealing with anyone that doesn't advertise in a particular magazine as well??

P (having an intense Sunday moment)

:cool: :cool:

bitingmidge
22nd May 2005, 09:56 AM

Happened to me a year or two ago with a back issue of FWW, (in this case the envelope was neatly slit along the top).

Taunton Press (US) replaced it by AIR MAIL without argument or delay.

See post above about customer service!
:) :) :)

P

graemet
22nd May 2005, 10:06 AM
Geez Bob, it's a bit rough to dice a company just because their catalogue is in two bits. I'm with Midge, and having dealt with Timbecon since they first showed up at the Sydney WWW show, I'd have to say that their internet and mail service is spot-on. Carbatec's cattledog is very pretty but, strewth, it must cost an arm and a leg to produce, and the service doesn't stack up against the glossy book.
Cheers,
Graeme

Sir Stinkalot
22nd May 2005, 01:20 PM
I would prefer that they spend their money on their regular internet updated.

It seems odd that all the members here obviously know how to use the internet, which can be quickly updated with new prices, specials and products, would prefer to have a printed catalogue that can be outdated before it reaches the workshop.

Can the printed catalogue and full steam ahead with the internet .... mmm technology.

echnidna
22nd May 2005, 03:35 PM
Geez Bob, it's a bit rough to dice a company just because their catalogue is in two bits.
Cheers,
Graeme
Frankly I couldn't be bothered messing around with catalog and then having to read an addenda etc. - its done occasionally that way by (non woody) wholesalers. But retail catalogs ??????

From a commercial marketing viewpoint they woulda been better off using lower grade paper to minimise costs, who would care as long as the pics were clear. After all its only a catalog not a masterpiece.

As a matter of interest in just over a year I must have spent a couple of $k at Timbecon. And because of a lousy catalog my future bucks are up for grabs.

I already shop online but some websites are dreadful. eg Carbatec has little info online about their wares.

Anyway I'll get some orthodox catalogs from various suppliers.

Dion N
22nd May 2005, 04:11 PM
The addenda has one useful benefit though - checking the price changes. Nice to see that some things have actually come down in price!

Harry72
22nd May 2005, 07:27 PM
I cant see the problem with it, at least it keeps you up to date.

andyfly
22nd May 2005, 10:37 PM
I agree with Harry and biting midge-its a cataloge for petes sake, if that stops woodies from buying tools from them god help us!!! Perhaps the savings from the printing could be passed on to the punters. I wonder how many would knock that back!

routermaniac
22nd May 2005, 10:47 PM
it certainly is a PITA but given Timbecon has an awesome website I really dont think its such a big problem!

Chisel
22nd May 2005, 11:03 PM
Their website works for me - and their followup service is good too.

Vasco
22nd May 2005, 11:41 PM
For those out ther bagging Timbecon for their cataloge update.

I am in the printing industry and at a guess Timbecons annual cataloge would cost them upward of 60K to produce then there is the mail house cost for getting them out. Before that happens there would be hundreds of hours spent on artwork/typsetting another huge cost my guess upward of 10K maybe even upward of 20K depending on the relationship with the designer. Keeping in mind the recent fantasic upgrade of the web site another 20K or so. All this and no real price increases however a whole bunch of new gear is added. How inconvienent is it to check on the web for the item you really want? You are hear often enough to do so. Just remember it is easy to critisise and a whole lot harder to do the job. Give them a break, ease off them and keep the support up if tey have serviced you well in the past. It's not like you actually paid for the cataloge is it! If you did, may be then you may have something to complain about.

I'll hope off my soap box now.

Kind regards Vasco

Samson13
23rd May 2005, 11:51 AM
Well when I checked the letterbox last night, there was as Timbecon envelope in there. Beauty thinks I until I realise that that was all it was. A bloody empty envelope. :eek: :rolleyes:

My letter box has a lock on it too so it wasn't emptied post delivery.

Hey, Craigb

I got an empty envelope as well. I first thought somebody had nicked the contents & then saw that Australia Post had put a stamp on it that said that's how they got it themselves.

If anybody else got an empty envelope then the only thing I can think of is that whoever was sending out the envelopes from Timbecon stuffed up.

silentC
23rd May 2005, 12:52 PM
I don't think there's anything wrong with expecting them to put out a new catalogue. Running a business of that size has costs of course and producing a catalogue would go in the advertising budget. I don't see too many Timbecon ads on tele and where else do they advertise? Trade and hobby mags.

The 2004 catalogue is strikingly similar to the 2003 one, so it's not like they start from scratch. All they need to do is update prices, add new products and remove discontinued ones. Where is the addendum idea going to end? Will there be an 2006 addendum to the 2005 addendum? Will we have the same tattered old dog-eared 2004 catalogue in 10 years time?

Some companies charge for their catalogue - maybe they could do that and deduct the price of it from the first order or something.

Nah, bugger 'em, they should send out a new one every year. I hate browsing through online catalogues and anyway it's something I prefer to do in my reclining lounge chair with my feet up and a beer on the table. Online catalogues are great if you know what you are looking for. I'll bet the number of impulse buys drop off if they stop publishing a catalogue.

Save the catalogue!!!

Woodlice
23rd May 2005, 04:11 PM
Yep, website for me too. And if you are serious about a price, then you'd use the phone anyway.