PDA

View Full Version : Door handles

artful bodger
28th August 2013, 07:09 PM
Normally I wouldn't give much thought about door handles. You can buy cheap enough timber ones at the local hardware store, no big deal.
However I was approached by an architect couple about a year ago to have a go at turning some designs they had come up with.
Since then I have made hundreds for them!. They (the architects) are obviously very good at marketing and due to their profession they have a flair for design.
They have developed lots of different designs each with a variety of sizes available. Following pictures are for 1 design that is available in 7 sizes from 50mm dia to 200mm dia. These ones are in Tassie oak however they can be ordered in other timbers as well. I supply them unfinished as the client likes to finish them. For most of the designs I make a pencil gauge and use calipers when needed so that a uniform product is available.
As with turning balusters etc, it can be monotonous work. However there is still the challenge of making each one as well as possible and there is the bonus of getting paid an hourly rate that I'm happy with.

Christos
28th August 2013, 07:54 PM
Very interesting.

Christopha
29th August 2013, 07:12 PM
On a screw?

artful bodger
30th August 2013, 08:30 AM
On a screw?
Yes, they are fitted with those threaded inserts that are available in several sizes.

Mobyturns
30th August 2013, 08:51 AM
Great to see craftsman turned - not production copy lathe stuff.

chuck1
30th August 2013, 08:58 AM
wow what a great job to pick up! I'm always a bit wary of architects well one in particular! he claimed he had done all the hard work designing and all I had to do was make it!
they look great what you have made!

artful bodger
30th August 2013, 02:03 PM
Great to see craftsman turned - not production copy lathe stuff.
Yeah, to be honest I was a bit dubious about the job at first. I told the architect they might be better off contacting an oriental sweatshop to turn them as I would have no chance competing with anything like that. Architect was however not interested in that option as they wanted Aussie timber made in Aussie. All the better for me!.
Working with an architect can have its challenges, some of the designs I have been given have been designed with no knowledge of woodturning and while this can give rise to some interesting designs it can also mean having to make some unusual tooling to be able to make them. On a couple of occasions even outright refusal to make a particular design. However we have a pretty good relationship and usually arrive at a reasonable outcome.

RETIRED
31st August 2013, 12:44 AM
Working with an architect can have its challenges, some of the designs I have been given have been designed with no knowledge of woodturning and while this can give rise to some interesting designs it can also mean having to make some unusual tooling to be able to make them. On a couple of occasions even outright refusal to make a particular design. However we have a pretty good relationship and usually arrive at a reasonable outcome. Oh yeah, Baby.:D

Tim the Timber Turner
31st August 2013, 01:12 PM
A recent job that came my way was for 5 columns.

The blanks were 185mm square and 900 high and laminated out of 25mm blackwood boards.

The drawing showed square cut pommels with a cove cut right next to the square corner.

I managed to talk the architect into moving the cove away from the square cut corners but he/she wouldn't come at a radius on the square corner.

I wasn't game to try and cut the square corners while spinning a 185mm square blank.

I made an adjustment to the price quoted as the square corners had to be cut by hand with a saw before turning.

I still wasn't comfortable with this job, so discretion being the better part of valour, (or you could say I chickened out) I subcontracted to a friend of mine who used to work for Hammersmiths, an old Adelaide turning company.

He has much more experience at this sort of work than I do.

I have done some of his large faceplate work so I figured it was only fair exchange.

He cursed and swore his way through the tear out caused by the multi direction grain of the laminated blackwood.

The blackwood did looked superb when finished.

However the silly part was the columns were to be 2 pack epoxied grey.

Cheers

Tim:)

Christos
31st August 2013, 08:38 PM
The blackwood did looked superb when finished.

However the silly part was the columns were to be 2 pack epoxied grey. ...

Did you tell your friend they were going to be coloured before he started the job. :U