PDA

View Full Version : Pewter into a bowl

spankingpigeon
30th August 2013, 12:33 AM
Well i have a few bits of nice timber that had some large cracks in them and were no good to turn until i thought i might fill them in with resin but then decided to try pewter instead.
It was quite easy to but a bit hairy when it came to turning, I got there in the end though

And then i got a very minor catch on the pewter and this is the end result.:C Ahh well ill melt it all down and try again:B

hughie
30th August 2013, 09:21 AM
Another alternative is powdered metal and CA, a little more time consuming but no catches

spankingpigeon
30th August 2013, 10:01 AM
Thats not a bad idea and cheaper too, only thing i like is that when it goes to the gallery i think the customers will like them more when they see the words "Lead free Pewter" I think it will look a little "classier" :roll:

hughie
31st August 2013, 01:01 AM
At the end of the day I find its how it looks. I have used brass powder to good effect

cava
31st August 2013, 01:13 AM
At the end of the day I find its how it looks. I have used brass powder to good effect

Looks good. Where can you get brass powder in Melbourne? And how do you apply it?

Syd Sellers
31st August 2013, 07:48 AM
I like your idea with the pewter, but have you a source for two part epoxy? I get it from Craft Supply, it's called Inlace, and come in a number of different colours with a nice look. Finishes well and doesn't shrink. I have used it a few times to fill voids in a burls.Also I have used a marine top coat epoxy, it's very thin and will run in and fill all kinds of voids and cracks. You must have a marine supplier close, check them out. You can mix in all kinds of stuff befor you add the second part.
Good luck...

Sturdee
31st August 2013, 10:19 AM
Looks good. Where can you get brass powder in Melbourne? And how do you apply it?

I would be interested to find out as well. Incidentally I watched a Jimmy Clewes DVD last night that showed how to do it.

Peter.

spankingpigeon
31st August 2013, 02:14 PM
Thanks for the feedback i might have to look into the brass powder, How would that go filling large voids?

dai sensei
31st August 2013, 02:56 PM

You can get metal powders here: Metal Powders : Adelaide Moulding & Casting Supplies (http://www.amcsupplies.com.au/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=9)

You can also use stone inlays from here: Stones Available for Inlay - Woodturning Tools and Timber, Woodturner Accessories, Woodcarver Supplies, Woodturning Equipment (http://www.popsshed.com.au/Product_List.aspx?cid=33&scid=62)

Then there are a heap of pigments and pearlite pigments and translucent dyes too :rolleyes:, not to mention glitter :U