PDA

View Full Version : Olive Chalice

bowl-basher
30th August 2013, 11:34 AM
Hi All
I haven't posted in a long time as I was forced to retire when we moved to a townhouse...... Any way I have joined a Mens Shed that is attached to a retirement village and the Chaplin asked if I would turn a Communion Chalice for the chapel. After a lot of searching I found a blank of Olive 100 x 100 x 250 in South Australia that looked to have some nice figure
The finished Chalice is 200 high by 90 dia. and as you can see the figure is something rather special the finish is Rustins Plasticote (8 coats ) that was applied and polished with micro mesh (wet)
then Rustins Burnishing cream and finally Plastix polish this was done before final part off and the base finished by hand..... not that fond of full gloss but this one has to hold wine..
Thanks for looking and I may not contribute much but I am always checking out what is happening here
Regads to all
Bowl-Basher

Skew ChiDAMN!!
30th August 2013, 12:55 PM
Nicely done, BB! :2tsup:

Did the chaplain give you some basic specs for the final design, or is it entirely your own creation?

On a slightly different note, how do you find the Rustin's? Any problems - large or small - with the application or final result?

I ask because I've long recommended the Plastic Finish for 'waterproofing' the insides of goblets, etc. and find it to be a very simple finish to apply. However, I've been using it for a long time so I'd like to make sure that it really is as simple to apply as I think... and not because I've simply had a lot of practice with it. If y'know what I mean? :-

bowl-basher
30th August 2013, 01:24 PM
Nicely done, BB! :2tsup:

Did the chaplain give you some basic specs for the final design, or is it entirely your own creation?

On a slightly different note, how do you find the Rustin's? Any problems - large or small - with the application or final result?

I ask because I've long recommended the Plastic Finish for 'waterproofing' the insides of goblets, etc. and find it to be a very simple finish to apply. However, I've been using it for a long time so I'd like to make sure that it really is as simple to apply as I think... and not because I've simply had a lot of practice with it. If y'know what I mean? :-

Hi Skew
The Chaplin picked a design he liked from a selection of shapes found on Google and a it was turned to what he wanted a fair bit of weight left below the "bowl" for stability
As to the Rustins I have used it for many years and have never had a problem it is terrific on special pens and bowls that are to hold liquid
The only thing I found is you can't hurry..... it must be very dry before wet sanding (1200 start) and polishing usually 48 hours min.
Regards
Bowl-Basher

Old Croc
30th August 2013, 01:51 PM
Hey BB, how did you find the Olive to turn, as I have a fair bit of it and its hard as blazes to turn, maybee because it came for 100yr old trees, but not sure,
rgds,
Crocy.

bowl-basher
30th August 2013, 07:43 PM
Hey BB, how did you find the Olive to turn, as I have a fair bit of it and its hard as blazes to turn, maybee because it came for 100yr old trees, but not sure,
rgds,
Crocy.
Hi Crocy
the blank I had was from an old tree and I believe the slab was cut about 10-15 years ago so it was fairly dry I used a 12mm Bowl gouge with a celtic grind (35 degrees) and a scraper ground to about 50 with a little bit from the detail gouge all were sharpened prior to starting and I did not have to retouch in fact I would rate it rather highly with little or no tear out it is a cur to sand but as I was going to use the Rustins I only sanded to 600 prior to coating
The picks are the slab and the blank cut from same
I would love to get some more it was that pleasant to work (I would settle for any more time on the lathe :((:((:((:(( geee I miss it )
regards
Bowl Basher

Scott
30th August 2013, 07:48 PM
Pity you've had to up and move but on a brighter note, having a men's shed near you is an added bonus. Love the chalice, it's a winner in my books. Hope you get to make some more shavings again, very soon.

Old Croc
30th August 2013, 09:17 PM
Thanks BB, my timber is much darker, it could be from different tree types or was harder grown.
Rgds,
Crocy.

wheelinround
30th August 2013, 09:32 PM
Bout bloody time Graham :; took you long enough to get back into it as well as turn the Olive. You tempted me with it when you dropped round. George did you well in providing you with such a quality piece or two:2tsup:

I like the look shape and finish.

I dare say you'll be first in line for a swig from the cup every Sunday :drinks_wine:.

bowl-basher
31st August 2013, 12:05 AM
Bout bloody time Graham :; took you long enough to get back into it as well as turn the Olive. You tempted me with it when you dropped round. George did you well in providing you with such a quality piece or two:2tsup:

I like the look shape and finish.

I dare say you'll be first in line for a swig from the cup every Sunday :drinks_wine:.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:It's Thursday Ray and Jen will be the first in line
as a matter of interest we have been invited to the first service using this Chalice and the matching wafer plate (no photo available )(forgot the camera) Jen is looking forward to the outing

wheelinround
31st August 2013, 08:46 AM
:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup: Your work will be blessed for all time

Christos
31st August 2013, 07:42 PM
Very nicely done. I guess you might be back to making a few things every now and then.

Paul39
2nd September 2013, 12:55 PM
Bowl-Basher,

Beautiful piece!! I hope you get more shed time, it is good for the soul.