PDA

View Full Version : 3 One Thumb

Grunt
22nd May 2005, 05:46 PM
When I woz a boy doing woodwork at school, it was drummed into me that I should hold my tools 3 One Thumb. That is using your 3 bottom fingers and your thumb to wrap the handle and your fore finger is used to steady the tool.

I haven't seen this described in any books. I was wondering if anyone else holds their tool this way or is peculiar to a certain mid '70s high school in the northern suburbs of Perth.

See the 2 pictures where I'm holding a tool. I know I've got girly programmers hands and this post leaves plenty of opportunities for tool jokes.

Barry_White
22nd May 2005, 05:52 PM
Grunt

As an apprentice we were taught this at Tafe as well as at work.

This goes for all sorts of tools. Saws, planes and others I can't think of at the moment.

adrian
22nd May 2005, 06:07 PM
See the 2 pictures where I'm holding a tool. I know I've got girly programmers hands and this post leaves plenty of opportunities for tool jokes.
I've got a few gay friends and not even the female ones have hands that look that soft. :D :D
Yes, I use the same grip when handling a saw to minimise lateral movement. I learned it from one of those shows like Big Strong Boys.
I think it's been taught like that for a long time because my father uses the same grip on a saw. He was in the building trade in England just after the war .

ozwinner
22nd May 2005, 06:52 PM
I've got a few gay friends and not even the female ones have hands that look that soft. :D :D
I wasnt going to mention it, but now that someone else has............
Hmmmmmm Swtheetie........:D

Al :eek:

Harry72
22nd May 2005, 07:10 PM
How bout gettin those "girl poofter programmers hands" dirty and clean up that rust starting to form on the side of that plane!

Grunt
22nd May 2005, 07:22 PM
How bout gettin those "girly programmers hands" dirty and clean up that rust starting to form on the side of that plane!

Why, it aint' like I'm going to actually use it.

craigb
22nd May 2005, 09:33 PM
Yep that's how I was taught to hold a saw many moons ago in school woodwork.

I still hold it like that so I must have been paying attention for once :D

Harry72
22nd May 2005, 09:54 PM
"Why, it aint' like I'm going to actually use it."

The darkside force 's are very strong... one day it shall control your mind and make you do things the hard way!

Grunt
22nd May 2005, 09:58 PM
The darkside force 's are very strong... one day it shall control your mind and make you do things the hard way

That's why it's called the dark side.

RETIRED
22nd May 2005, 09:59 PM
I was taught to use all hand tools that way. The reason: every one can point straight and that is what the finger down the side is for.

Least, that is why I do it. :)

Grunt
22nd May 2005, 10:02 PM
I hold my tools that way, even the electric ones. 'Cept a hammer and other preceision tools like a crow bar.

It's interesting that I've never seen "3 One thumb" in a book or any of the woodworking shows. Is it an Aussie thing?

Driver
22nd May 2005, 10:05 PM
I was taught to use all hand tools that way. The reason: every one can point straight and that is what the finger down the side is for.

Least, that is why I do it. :)

That was the explanation I was given when I had the temerity to ask the woodwork teacher - O those many years ago!.

I've read several times over the years since that this technique assists you to keep moving the tool in a straight line - along with the other important part: looking slightly ahead of where you want the tool to travel (eg, when sawing - look at the line not the tool). You body will follow where your eyes point just as the rest of your arm will follow where your index finger points. That's the theory and it seems to be practised by a majority of the tradies I've observed.

Col

lesmeyer
22nd May 2005, 10:28 PM
Grunt,
I learnt the same method 30 years ago at school in South Africa. Now I live in the northern suburbs of Perth, possibly close to the school that you attended and I have girly programmer hands like you - strange ... very strange.
Regards
Les
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon10.gifhttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon10.gifhttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon10.gif

Grunt
22nd May 2005, 10:38 PM
I grew up around North Beach and Trigg. Went to school at Carine. Got my programmers hands in Perth and they moved with me when I moved to Melbourne.

routermaniac
22nd May 2005, 10:42 PM
I also have always used tools in that way, simply because it felt like the right thing to do... dont think I was ever brainwashed into doing it :) btw what ARE woodworkers hands supposed to look like????? :rolleyes:

Grunt
22nd May 2005, 10:47 PM
This is a random sample of woodworkers hands.

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=15518&page=1

Quokka
22nd May 2005, 11:57 PM
Grunt
Ill only admit to this once (I am a high school Woodwork teacher). I teach ages 12 to adult and the first thing I teach after 'safety in the workshop' is Three One Thumb works a treat every time. Then again I to was schooled in the northern suburbs of Perth a little after you

Q

Zed
23rd May 2005, 09:54 AM
grunt,

here is another grip you may be familiar with mate.

bitingmidge
23rd May 2005, 10:02 AM
grunt,

Zed,

I can't say I've ever seen that one, is it some sort of "in" joke for woodies?? :confused:

Cheers,

P
:D :D :D

Iain
23rd May 2005, 10:16 AM
It's the sanding dowel technique :rolleyes:

silentC
23rd May 2005, 11:34 AM
It's the banana grip. He can do it with his toes too ;)

Alastair
23rd May 2005, 01:48 PM
I was taught that grip at school in the '60's in South Africa. The lesson was driven home by our draconian teacher challenging all comers to bring a 4' length of 12" dowel from straight overhead, down to a mark on the bench in front of them. He would use the 3 + thumb grip, and they could "hold it like a club". He who succeeded, got to apply the same dowel 6 times to the losers' rear end.

A few misguided students even took him up on this challenge. (once!!)

He also had an uncanny ability to be just behind your left shoulder, carrying that same dowel, the only time in a month that you forgot, and put the plane down on the sole.

To this day, I use that grip for everything, and I have never gotten over the reflexive look over my shoulder every time I put down a plane!

Iain
23rd May 2005, 01:55 PM
I have never gotten over the reflexive look over my shoulder
That is a special technique used by teachers, police, anyone in authority, some parents, that enables them to materialise quietly when you least expect them to be there.
It even works in a locked room for the technique allows you to pass through solid objects to wreak vengeange on the poor unwitting sod who thinks he/she can get away with whatever they should not be doing.
Been there, done that......................and caught :(

Woodlice
23rd May 2005, 03:43 PM
Who the hell sands dowel with their left hand??????

And according to the polls over in the other forum a woodies hand is supposed to look exactly like the grip... 3 fingers 1 thumb, and more splinters that you can shake a stick at...

silentC
23rd May 2005, 03:47 PM
There's another forum? :eek:

Woodlice
23rd May 2005, 04:06 PM
Well, the Polls forum, room or whatever you wanna call it...

silentC
23rd May 2005, 04:10 PM
OIC. I thought you were spending your time with some other group of misfits and looney tunes. :D

Woodlice
23rd May 2005, 04:23 PM
Hehe, yeah but they're called family... :D :D

OtakiriLad
23rd May 2005, 06:32 PM
And I thought I used three fingers cos the bl...y handles were too small for four!

Grunt
23rd May 2005, 09:19 PM
grunt,

No, I have to use both hands.

ozwinner
23rd May 2005, 09:26 PM
grunt,

OIC your a wanker????

Al :eek: