PDA

View Full Version : re ceramic blanket

texx
2nd September 2013, 01:27 PM
just wondering if anyone found a seller that will sell cut sections of insulation blanket for a furnace . the only places i can find that sell it only sell by the roll , at 145 bucks a roll and i only need a 1/4 of a roll or probably less i dont realy want to buy a whole roll .

johno

Wrongwayfirst
2nd September 2013, 01:44 PM
Possibly no help at all? Did a glass slumping course in vic with SWMBO and we used varying thicknesses of fire proof paper. Maybe a similar place in qld would sell you a portion of what you are after? Plumbing shops sell asbestos type rope for door seals on old wood stoves and wood heaters can't remember from my plumbing days if those suppliers sold mat too.
Cheers

texx
2nd September 2013, 02:46 PM
scrub this post , i had enough of chasing it all over the place and making std calls, bit the bullet and bought a roll of the 25mm stuff .getting it via a courier to toowoomba and if all goes to plan i can pick it up wednesday same time i pickup the refractory cement.

johno

fxst
2nd September 2013, 07:13 PM
Texx good to know you have solved your problem. To avoid having the rest of the roll laying about put it up on evilbay selling per metre may help to get some expenses back or maybe offer it to members here for a price per metre
Pete

texx
2nd September 2013, 07:28 PM
that my friend is exactly what i was thinking . or build a couple of different size furnaces .
been doing a bit of the cut and shut part on an old water heater today to make the body of the furnace , just finished putting wheels on it ( as i age i am becoming a fan of wheels on heavy stuff that may need to be moved :U)
next i need to make an 8" dia X 17" long bung to sit in the middle while i pack the refractory in , probably shove a log in the old woodlathe for that job .

johno

Ueee
3rd September 2013, 12:56 AM
Hi Johno,
What sort of blanket have you bought?

Cheers.
Ew

texx
3rd September 2013, 08:40 AM
good question .....one of the one's that this mob sell ( Insulation Products | Refractory Ceramics | Thermal Ceramics (http://www.morganthermalceramics.com/products/) )
told the lady what i wanted it for ( she seemed to know her stuff ) and she gave me a choice of 2 different weights and 2 thicknesses i took the slightly lighter weight and 25mm thick . figure i will do 2 laps with the lilghter one and stagger the join

SawDustSniffer
3rd September 2013, 11:22 AM
i was eyeing off my 1/2 roll of 25mm ,and think a couple of cow skins and a sowing machine will make a nice full length heat/fire proof apron , i even have some aluminized fiberglass sheet ( fake coloured carbon fiber )

im a bit tall ,and the full length store bought ones are a bit short

Ueee
3rd September 2013, 11:28 PM
What temp is it good to? Depends on which product as they have a few.....

Ew

texx
4th September 2013, 08:53 PM
ok picked it up today and seems i have bought a roll of "superwool plus " specs say good for 1200c , also picked up 2 bags of fire clay . but i have yet to find any sharp sand and my chances of getting it now i am back in the metropolis of texas is very slight . i can however get any amoung of fine river sand ?????? that any good anyone know ????

johno

texx
5th September 2013, 10:29 PM
just a pic of where i am up to at the moment . work might stop on this for a few days because i have just got some more of the material in the mail that i have been waiting for so i can keep working on a small engine i am building ( my first , and loving it ) .
i am building the wobble plate engine from the john tom site double all measurments on the plan .
also have to build a small scaffold on wheels too for another job i have been putting off for to long .

johno

fxst
5th September 2013, 10:47 PM
texx here's a couple sites you might like both are friendly and welcoming :D I'm a member of both sites and madmodder has some people that enjoy casting and have some interesting stuff

http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php

MadModder - Index (http://madmodder.net/index.php)

Pete