PDA

View Full Version : Research into Tool Box Alarm Systems

kevinlee8992
2nd September 2013, 10:54 PM
Hi all,
I'm currently undertaking a university design assignment and require some research into peoples opinions on some aspects of tool box alarm systems. It would be greatly appreciated if you could follow the link and answer some short questions. The alarm system will have a gsm module that notifies people upon breaking in via SMS. It is also a fully diy installation to protect all your tools boxes. Can be used for sheds or anything that can be opened. If you any questions about the design do not hesitate to ask.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1idFs2cNV2NbS9-_0HJTOkaO81O2v0o2GuNhVEVEoXrM/viewform

foobillious
4th September 2013, 11:27 PM
If your going to all the trouble of alerting via sms - gather some evidence and send that too. digital photo would be the go.

BobL
5th September 2013, 12:32 AM
While I have dozens of tool boxes all of my good tools are in cupboards or drawers where I can get at them easily. What tends to end up in most of my tool boxes are old plumbing or small engine parts, or stuff like old electrical GPOs and light fittings, bits of rubber and cork etc. I cannot imagine anyone wanting to steal these - in some cases they might even be doing me a favour. I do have a 1.6 m long lockable box that I store chainsaw bars in but if that's full it's a 2 person job to move.

rwbuild
5th September 2013, 10:06 AM
My 6th sense is tingling about this one

GTVi
5th September 2013, 10:58 AM
My big toolbox is where I keep my pet snakes...go ahead, make their day ! :q

BobL
5th September 2013, 11:08 AM
My 6th sense is tingling about this one

Did you look at the survey?
I'm guessing this is the market research component of a university engineering project.
I would put the survey in the "needs some work category"
I started trying to answer it but found it did not really apply to me.

Robson Valley
15th September 2013, 06:10 AM
Interesting puzzle project. I did the survey.
Any tool box small enough to run away with needs a RF beacon,
like a body locator (Pieps) in an avalanche.

Digital photogaphy is cheap. 5 minutes to make a detailed photographic record
of the 'goodies.'

Plan B: ground sensor: pick up the armed box and some red LED starts flashing on the lid.
Thief doesn't know how much more complex the alarm system is. Potential deterrent.
Keeps blinking if set back down. Reset is inside. Think I will have some made.

Plan C: Annoyed by repeated overnight tool thefts from a job site?
Add 2 sticks of dynamite to your tool box. Effective. Also effective
for "time in the shade". Court considered it 'over-kill.'

Bob Willson
15th September 2013, 05:07 PM
Court considered it 'over-kill.'

Bl00dy courts.