PDA

View Full Version : Just for fun

Dalboy
3rd September 2013, 09:43 AM
Yes it was just for fun. I am making a Car Rocker in the toy section anyway A sheet of ply had to be exchanged which meant that I had to stop work on the rocker for a couple of days.
I got a little withdrawal symptoms and had to just do something in the shed.
So made this little bowl from Ash and is 4 3/4" diameter and 1" tall and tried to make it as thin as I dare. It flexes if you gently squeeze the edges

ndp_2010
3rd September 2013, 11:20 AM
very nice, and very thin!

Dalboy
4th September 2013, 06:07 AM
very nice, and very thin!

Thank you ndp_2010

Drillit
4th September 2013, 02:51 PM
And no doubt light as a feather. Good one. Drillit.

Dalboy
4th September 2013, 07:19 PM
And no doubt light as a feather. Good one. Drillit.

I did weigh it and it is just under 1/2oz don't ask me what that is in grams.

Evanism
4th September 2013, 07:47 PM
15 grams. Marvellous.

I did 5 bowls today, one blew up on the lathe as it was too thin :o. The base hummed then boom.

It would be interesting to know how you did it.

RETIRED
4th September 2013, 07:59 PM
The 4th P.:D

Dalboy
4th September 2013, 10:07 PM
Thank you all for looking.

15 grams. Marvellous.

I did 5 bowls today, one blew up on the lathe as it was too thin :o. The base hummed then boom.

It would be interesting to know how you did it.

When I have turned anything thin I always start at the rim and turn about 1/2" to 3/4" at a time to the thickness required leaving the centre nice and thick to help support the wood. Then work my way down the bowl in increments of the same until the bowl is finished but making sure that each time you do a section make sure that it is blended to the previous one.
The biggest part is when you reverse the bowl to take most of the foot off as this needs a very gentle grip on the bowl and some very light cuts.

Hermit
4th September 2013, 10:50 PM
Very nice Derek. Love those thin walls, especially the shot with the light underneath. :2tsup:

I don't think I'll be able to make anything decent for quite a while, but can't wait for my new toy so I can give some turning a go.
It's never boring, this woodworking stuff. Always something new to try.