PDA

View Full Version : Tool Rest for Woodfast

Don Nethercott
23rd May 2005, 12:25 AM
I have a Woodfast 280 lathe. The headstock does not turn, but can slide the length of the base. To turn a large platter I would need to slide the headstock all the way to the end of the base and work from the end.

Trouble is the standard tool rest can't be used. I have the lathe mounted on a very heavy wooden bench. Any suggestions/ideas as to how I could build a tool rest that will fit on the end of the bench.

Thanks
Don

gatiep
23rd May 2005, 12:58 AM
How about making a free standing one, possibly with a heavy base?

La truciolara
23rd May 2005, 02:46 AM
Gatiep’s suggestion is by far the best.
Having the tool rest autonomous will prove far more easy to use (and to take away when you do not need it) that one fixed to the bench. In addition it will be more stable and will never have vibrations.
If you do not want to build one I think stubby has a quite good one

rsser
23rd May 2005, 08:20 AM
Yeah, there's someone in Melbourne who does them. Tripod base. I tried one but wasn't impressed - it wasn't esp. stable; it might have been an early version. PM me if you want a name.

Or look at the Vicmarc outboard turning rig on their website. You can buy these seperately but they're not cheap. Mine came standard with the 175 and it works well. (You wld need to sleeve the tool post hole from 30mm down to 1" is it on the Woodfast?).

Phil Spencer
23rd May 2005, 09:38 AM
I have a Woodfast 280 lathe. The headstock does not turn, but can slide the length of the base. To turn a large platter I would need to slide the headstock all the way to the end of the base and work from the end.

Trouble is the standard tool rest can't be used. I have the lathe mounted on a very heavy wooden bench. Any suggestions/ideas as to how I could build a tool rest that will fit on the end of the bench.

Thanks
Don
Hi Don

I made up a 2" pipe post fitted to an 18" plate at the bottom on the top I fitted a collar with a screw to lock my tool rest, when I turn outboard I place the tool post where I want it and stand on the plate this gives me a solid tool rest to turn from. The only caution that I would give is to watch the rim speed of your work if you are turning a large diameter even with the lathe set at its slowest speed, the rim speed of you work may be too fast and therefor dangerous, that is if the lathe is not fitted with a variable speed drive if it is you can adjust to any speed you like. The maximun diameter that I have turned this way is a 4' dia table top.

regards

Phil Spencer

Toasty
23rd May 2005, 03:56 PM
I hope you are handy with a welder cause this sucker aint cheap...

Free Standing Outboard Stand (http://store.yahoo.com/gpwoodturning/frestanoutst.html)

rsser
23rd May 2005, 04:26 PM
Sounds like Phil's on the right track here.

My steel merchant does simple fabrication as well. Got the steel, cutting and welding done for a simple bowl steady for $12.

timnruth
25th May 2005, 01:28 PM
Dear All, interesting discussion on a woodfast lathe steady. I have a vintage woodfast lathe known as a 'varispeed' I think. Came from a school I used to teach at and was installed when I first taught there in 1967. It was declared obsolete and was replaced in 1993 when the new tech wing was built. I managed to get it and accessories for a song that year and with the addition of a new head bearing it is fabulous. I think it could now do with a new set of belts as a bit of vibration has recently set in.

Woodfast are still in business in Woodville in Adelaide, went there last year when visiting family in Adelaide. They mostly build lathe kits for the Asian export market now and have downsized their factory.

The outboard turning option on this one requires the rest to be mounted on the two 45mm horizontal tubes with a vertical post. I made a 100mm x 100mm angle iron cross piece, adjustable, to take a standard cast tool rest holder. Can turn up to 650mm dia with this.

Woodlice
25th May 2005, 09:01 PM
From what I can tell, this is the rest I got with my hand me down lathe...

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/catalog/l_univlathetoolrest.htm

Don Nethercott
25th May 2005, 10:38 PM
Thanks folks for all the suggestions.
I don't like the idea of a free-standing job as I'm not heavy enough to hold it down, and anyway I like things fixed firmly.
As I said, I have the lathe on a very heavy workbench. I was thinking about a large lump of wood or metal frame hinged at the bottom and bolted to the base of the bench. Half way up a screw thread to adjust it in and out - something like one of those old wood vices. Then comes the part I haven't figured out - the top. The thread could adjust the rest in or out, but need something for sideways movement - unless I can get a tool rest about 12" long that has 2 posts to hold it firmly. I think it would only need to cover one half of the platter being turned. Of course I wouldn't be able to turn such a setup at an angle for getting into bowls.

Cheers
Don