PDA

View Full Version : Screw Top Boxes

turnerted
4th September 2013, 04:02 PM
G'day
I've spent the last couple of weeks playing with my new thread cutting jig.I can hear the purists tut tutting but I don,t turn on a pole lathe either.
I got my jig a couple of months ago and spent some time figering out how it worked as the instructions only gave the basics. Then it took me some time testing a range of timbers to find out which were suitable for threading.Of those available to me, camelia was the best with olive and privet not far behind. Surprisingly I could get acceptable threads in camphorlaurel by soaking the thread area with CA. The biggest challange was trying to get the grain to line up but I have now managed to achieve this with reasonable success.
Here's a few samples of many recent boxes.
Back row, L-R sally wattle,camphor laurel with camelia thread insert,liquid amber with CA treatment.
Front row,Camphor laurel with CA treatment,sally wattle,camphor laurel with camelia insert.
Hope you find this interesting.
Ted

Rippa
4th September 2013, 06:40 PM
What brand of thread cutting Jig have you got, like those little boxes.:2tsup::2tsup:

Rippa

artme
4th September 2013, 08:44 PM
They are great looking boxes Ted!! Well done!!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Scott
4th September 2013, 08:44 PM
Great work with the threads, nice form on the boxes as well. I've deliberately avoided thread chasing on boxes, seems too hard for me.

wheelinround
4th September 2013, 10:14 PM
Ted very well done a nice series. I guess we will be seeing more of these in the future.

I also would like to know the type of rig used as there are a few about?

powderpost
4th September 2013, 10:44 PM
Very nice boxes Ted, they are fun to make. It will be hard to go back to the slip fit style now.
Jim

SNAFU11
5th September 2013, 06:21 AM
I like them alot i haven't ventured into these as yet,the threads look nice and clean...well done..

Mick!!!

issatree
5th September 2013, 12:00 PM
Hi Ted,
Another Timber that should be very good is Cotoneaster. It has small green leaves & small Red Berries. Down here they hang over many garden fences. One of my Favourite Woods to Turn.
Very Solid, very Stable.

dai sensei
5th September 2013, 03:45 PM
Nice ones Ted :cool:

It looks like you thread all the way to the rebate, which mine will not allow, what is the actual cutter bit you are using?

ps You can use any timber, just takes more CA. I have done spalted and very soft rotten woods.

turnerted
5th September 2013, 05:14 PM
Thanks for the comments.
The jig I use is the UK version of the EZ jig sold on ebay. As far as I can see it is identicle to the US version but considerably cheaper. There are a couple of utube videos on line and also a very good review on the Woodturners Unlimited website.
Neil.The cutter I use came with the jig. It says 3/4 x 3/16 60 deg. 10th HSS double angle cutter. The brand is "Interstate"and it is made in Japan
Ted

Drillit
6th September 2013, 08:55 AM
Lovely work Ted. Drillit.

turnerted
6th September 2013, 05:07 PM
Issatree. I agree cotoneaster should be good for threads and I have some in my shed if only I could find it.
Ted