PDA

View Full Version : New lathe from Timbecon

Fred in Tassie
23rd May 2005, 08:59 PM
Not a Vicmarc, does it have a place in your workshop.

tonysa
24th May 2005, 01:24 AM
interesting find there Fred, with cast iron stand from what little i know about these things
any more details ? price, supplier, hp etc
cheers
Tony

smidsy
24th May 2005, 01:25 AM
Hei Fred,
The swing and bed specs equate to a VL200 Vicmarc, I don't know what they go for but Timbecon want $2600 for that thing.

It's probably a nice lathe but at the end of the day it is still a chinese lathe, my personal opinion is that if you're going to spend that sort of money you might as well spend a few hundred more on the Vicmarc.

Cheers
Paul

tonysa
24th May 2005, 01:26 AM
should have read your post title better
Too rich for me

Simon-UK
24th May 2005, 07:39 AM
Looks ok but I am not sure I could cope with bright orange on a Sunday morning after a few cream sherries the night before!!!!!:D

adrian
24th May 2005, 05:59 PM
Hei Fred,
The swing and bed specs equate to a VL200 Vicmarc, I don't know what they go for but Timbecon want $2600 for that thing.

It's probably a nice lathe but at the end of the day it is still a chinese lathe, my personal opinion is that if you're going to spend that sort of money you might as well spend a few hundred more on the Vicmarc.

Cheers
Paul
I would bet money on the days of Vicmarc not being Chinese are numbered. That new $2000 Beaver lathe has that worrying description "Designed by Vicmarc and assembled in Taiwan."
Once they see the profit margins that can come from manufacturing everything in China it will be too hard to refuse.

Salty
25th May 2005, 11:02 AM
Here's a pic of the Beaver from the Carbatec cat.
Is this the thin end of the wedge?? I hope not

PAH1
25th May 2005, 12:31 PM
I would bet money on the days of Vicmarc not being Chinese are numbered. That new $2000 Beaver lathe has that worrying description "Designed by Vicmarc and assembled in Taiwan."
Once they see the profit margins that can come from manufacturing everything in China it will be too hard to refuse.

Long bed VL200EVS long bed RR is just short of $5K, admitedly with a 2HP motor rather than the 1.5.

rsser
25th May 2005, 12:58 PM
I'm guessing that Vicmarc make most of their money with overseas sales.

But with the appreciation of the AUD, yes, no wonder they've looked to experiment with outsourced manufacture.

BTW My sparky reckons about the third of the cost of my 175 is in the electronics - made in Finland from memory. The motor comes from somewhere in the EU, so we've already got significant local assembly of o/s components.

adrian
25th May 2005, 04:14 PM
Here's a pic of the Beaver from the Carbatec cat.
Is this the thin end of the wedge?? I hope not
Actually, I had a look at a Vicmarc catalogue and the only thing that is specifically mentioned an being made in Australia is a Centre Marking jig. The webside doesn't seem to proudly proclaim 'Aussie made'.

rsser
26th May 2005, 02:31 PM
hehehe, they are a couple of Swiss brothers after all.