PDA

View Full Version : Bowl & Spindle Blank Tool

Paul39
9th September 2013, 12:23 PM
I heat with wood and pick up a lot of logs here and there. One of my friends bought one of these and loved it, so recently I did too.

Manual Hydraulic Log Splitter - 10 Ton (http://www.harborfreight.com/10-ton-hydraulic-log-splitter-67090.html)

It is made in China and might be found in AU by another name.

I cut my logs into blocks just a bit longer than the diameter and grab the block in the splitter. I sometimes use an electric chain saw to make a groove to help the split go where I want. I have split 12 - 14 inch diameter logs with a 2 inch groove top and bottom.

I put a chunk or two of 4 X 4 between the ram and the block if the block is not long enough.

I find this is an improvement over a hammer and wedge as I have more control over the splitting, and I can use it to hold the block to cut through a crotch with a chain saw.

It works as well for halving or quartering a log for tool handle blanks.

One of the handles is on a large diameter pump for quicker travel, the other on a smaller one for more pressure.

brendan stemp
9th September 2013, 06:10 PM
That's a great way to break down logs. Thanks for sharing

BlackbuttWA
10th September 2013, 10:27 AM
Haven't used a manual splitter.

Couple of years ago I bought an 1 tonne electric splitter. After 1 week of trying it out I sent it back & got a full refund.

It wouldn't even split WA Peppermint which is fairly straight grained.

Very disappointed.

You are very happy with yours, so good luck & happy splitting.

Col