PDA

View Full Version : Small dead finish bowl

Bluegum
10th September 2013, 04:12 PM
Here's a small bowl I made out of what we think was dead finish. Found a piece of which will produce another bowl about the same size it in the wood pile at the wood club. I had never turned anything like this before. Sanded to 400 then finished with EEE and shell wax. Photo from my phone so its not the best quality.

Bob Wemm
10th September 2013, 10:55 PM
Hi, I keep reading about "Dead Finish" timber. Do you have a proper name for it, as it closely resembles Eastern Red Cedar from the USA.

Would love to know.

Bob.

wood hacker
11th September 2013, 08:58 AM
Hi, I keep reading about "Dead Finish" timber. Do you have a proper name for it, as it closely resembles Eastern Red Cedar from the USA.

Would love to know.

Bob.

Also known as Red Lancewood. More info here (http://www.ttit.id.au/treepages/deadfinish.htm).

cheers
WH

hughie
11th September 2013, 09:35 AM

Would love to know.

Bob.

No its as hard as rocks, bullet proof stuff. :U

artme
11th September 2013, 04:31 PM
Looks like DF to me!!

powderpost
11th September 2013, 08:45 PM
No its as hard as rocks, bullet proof stuff. :U

Turned some today. Made 6 lidded boxes with hand chased threads. Cuts a beautiful thread and scrapes really nicely, producing nice long curlies.

Jim

powderpost
11th September 2013, 08:48 PM
Here's a small bowl I made out of what we think was dead finish. Found a piece of which will produce another bowl about the same size it in the wood pile at the wood club. I had never turned anything like this before. Sanded to 400 then finished with EEE and shell wax. Photo from my phone so its not the best quality.

Sand to 800# or even 1200# apply some EEE and finish with "glow". You will be astounded at the finish.
Jim

Bluegum
12th September 2013, 11:14 AM
Sand to 800# or even 1200# apply some EEE and finish with "glow". You will be astounded at the finish.
Jim

Thanks Jim,

I will give it a go. I have another piece there in the shed that I will do that to.