PDA

View Full Version : makers mark on turning

chuck1
11th September 2013, 06:25 PM
I'm doing a restoration job at work, customer supplied a 170 by 170 mm post turned the got at an auction and on the square end it had BBP stamped in the bottom.
2nd photo is of post after sanding all the old shellac! that took a few hours and I made a craftwood jig tho hold the ball end so I didn't have to put a Lathe Centre Mark in the preturned ball on the post!
would like to know who originally turned this post really nice design! I guess it will remain a mystery

artful bodger
11th September 2013, 06:57 PM
would like to know who originally turned this post really nice design! I guess it will remain a mystery

Yes mate I made that one! Thanks for the compliment.
Seriously though, only joking. I have an antique mahogany bed that has got some really nice turning work on it and was probably made before electricity. I too have wondered about the maker and no doubt like your bit of turning the turner is long dead.
Maybe when we are all long dead someone will ponder work we have done?

chuck1
11th September 2013, 08:50 PM
I hope so! I'm just intrigued as to the stamp on the bottom of post

Mobyturns
12th September 2013, 12:01 AM
Maybe a long shot but search the PowerHouse Museum Brisbane & Sydney collections. They have a collection of catalogued turnings. Another worth a view is the Bruhn Collection in Museum of Victoria.

Paul39
12th September 2013, 05:31 AM
Chuck1,

If you know where it came from, and the approximate age, you might look in city directories and phone books in the library for turners to fit the initials.

Here in Asheville the library has City Directories back to 1900. There are sections for tradesmen, street names and numbers, with who lived there and where they worked, and alphabetical listings.