PDA

View Full Version : Mezzaluna

Willy Nelson
11th September 2013, 08:15 PM
Good Evening Ladies and Gentlemen

My wife has MS so some things are quite hard for her to do such as chopping vegies etc. A student O/T said a mezzaluna knife and chopping board might be easier for her. She left my wife with a knife and a picture of a pine chopping board. Pine!!!!! Ppppfffffftttttttt Not in my house!

So I grabbed a Jarrah board aproximately 250mm wide and 350 long. Turned a recess to hold it then reverse mounted it and hollowed out the bowl section to a similar profile as the knife, shallow and wide. Most of the sanding on the wings (top and bottom) were done with the lathe stationary.

I coated it with a couple of coats and organ oil. Awaiting for it to dry before she uses it. Now, not all of us have MS, but old age and other diseases may also affect other people and a Mezzaluna style knife and chopping board may benefit others.

Cheers
Willy

smiife
11th September 2013, 08:37 PM
hi willy,
what a fantastic idea,very well done
and brownie points with the missus:U
cheers smiife:2tsup:

RETIRED
11th September 2013, 09:27 PM
Another one worth looking at is the inuit Ulu.

Tim the Timber Turner
12th September 2013, 03:01 PM
Another one worth looking at is the inuit Ulu.

Should be good for turning coves????:roll:

One handed????:roll::roll:

Cheers

Tim:)

bassmansimon
12th September 2013, 04:19 PM
Well executed Willy. Also you could probably turn some handles to suit the Mezzaluna knife and make it even more special.

turnerted
12th September 2013, 05:26 PM
Very nice Willy.
I recently saw a similar design for a morter and pestle set where the morter part was turned into a square block rather than the usual round shape, which I thought was rather neat.
Ted

Willy Nelson
12th September 2013, 06:39 PM
Thanks for the comments

About to modify it and add some nails. She can impale potatoes etc and that assists here in chopping them.

Cheers
Willy

Jarrahland

rwbuild
12th September 2013, 07:48 PM
Thanks for the comments

About to modify it and add some nails. She can impale potatoes etc and that assists here in chopping them.

Cheers
Willy

Jarrahland

Use stainless decking nails :2tsup:

Sawdust Maker
17th September 2013, 09:57 PM
Nice work and a very speccy piece of wood :2tsup:

RhysM
20th September 2013, 08:11 AM
What a fantastic idea Willy. I can see a lot of different uses for this. :2tsup::2tsup: