PDA

View Full Version : woven wire fence

neddy
24th May 2005, 02:12 PM
Hi all..............just wondering if anyone has put in a wire woven fence before? Thats the type with the wire loops at the top that you used to see many years ago. If yes I'm just after a few tips and traps to look out for. I'm trying to save a couple of grand by doing it myself as I've tackled bigger projects before and am fairly confidant. Cheers

neddy
25th May 2005, 02:40 PM
Looks like no interest for this post. Can anyone tell me if cyprus pine is the way to go for fence posts, which will be either concreted or tamped into the ground. Thanks.

Grunt
26th May 2005, 11:04 PM
I think you'll want to put hardwood into the ground not a pine unless it's been treated.

I paid someone to do a woven wire fence a few years ago. They did a great job except for the gate which I ended up buying a new one from a place in Coburg and fitting it myself.

Grunt

scooter
27th May 2005, 01:28 AM
Gday Neddy, cypress is a popular choice for fence posts as it is naturally resistant to rot. Is inclined to check a little though so may be worth looking into oiling/painting them.

I think the fence style you're talking about is called federation fencing. Can't imagine it being a big deal to put up, would presumably want to strain it up nice & tight.

Shot would be to staple one end to a post, and sandwich the wire on the opposite end with a couple of battens screwed/bolted together, with some means of pulling it up tight.

Usually fence strainers are used, if you can get on to some from a farrmer, otherwise get creative - block & tackle, hand winch, big ratchet strap, the car, whatever... Pull the wire up tight, then staple onto near end post and the intermediate ones.

Quicker to type than do, but it's not rocket surgery....

Cheers.............Sean, keep the faith

Grunt
27th May 2005, 09:23 AM
Gday Neddy, cypress is a popular choice for fence posts as it is naturally resistant to rot.

This is why you should never listen to me.

scooter
27th May 2005, 10:42 AM
Grunt, half the battle for neddy is getting a response.

I've heard of a mob called Emu gates that make federation gates, could be the crowd you used.

Cheers.........Sean, wired and postal

neddy
27th May 2005, 08:25 PM
Thanks Scooter & Grunt..................I've got a pamplett from the Emu Wire fence mob and will be geting the materials from them. When you say the Cyprus will check...what does that mean? Also do you blokes have a veiw on wheather to concrete or tamp the posts in? Thanks for your replies.

Grunt
27th May 2005, 09:04 PM
Cement. I've used quick dry cement with good results.

seriph1
27th May 2005, 10:14 PM
hi Neddy - do you mean Emu Wire? like a twisted wire with loops at the top..... if so an old mate of mine owned the firm and sold it years ago - here is the link

http://www.emuwireindustries.com/

have fun

neddy
28th May 2005, 10:31 AM
Yes there the ones....thanks Seriph1.

scooter
30th May 2005, 01:46 AM
Neddy, I'm far from a timber eckspurt but "checking" as I understand it is superficial cracking on the surface of some timbers as they dry out, usually not affecting it structually.

Check out another very recent thread on rammed earth vs concreting the posts.

Cheers..............Sean the referee