PDA

View Full Version : Extension plans and windows? (pics)

JDub
24th May 2005, 02:59 PM
Hey all,

Down the track (read when I can finally afford it) I am going to put an extension on my home which will include a 2 or 3 car garage and a new laundry.

Problem is SWMBO has to have internal access from the garage and there is only one location for the garage anyway.

It will involve moving the WC and having the internal access there. That is all fine. The problem lies in the fact that the window to the ensuite will then open into the garage.

From another thread, reply by biting midge:

Permanent ventilation is no longer required to a non-habitable room (bathroom) unless it has a wc pan in it. The Building Code is a little vague on how much ventilation is required, but a tastic should be enough.

Variable ventilation (openable windows) are required to all habitable rooms (basically living, dining, bedrooms) and the openings must be a minimum of 5% of the floor area of the room. ie a 10m2 room needs .5m2

So the bathroom window opening to the new WC wont be an issue (may even put laundry there and have WC at end of corridor) BUT the ensuite will be a problem.

Do you think an ensuite window opening into the garage will get approved? If not is there anyway around it?

Left side is existing structure, right side is proposed plan.

http://www.users.on.net/joelwillis/ext%20plans.jpg

bitingmidge
24th May 2005, 03:06 PM
JDub,

Check out

http://www.ixl.com.au/ventnlit_del_spec.html

or their Tastic range which has heater globes as well, or Clipsal or HPM or anyone else has a variety.

If you don't want the three in one, just get an exhaust fan wired to the light switch.

I'd still recommend that it was ducted to the outside, but if you have sufficient ventilation in the roof space you won't have a problem.

You should really undercut the door (leave an inch or so gap at the bottom) to allow sufficient air flow.

Cheers,

P ;)

JDub
24th May 2005, 03:14 PM
So an ensuite window opening into a garage is fine as long as the fan/ducting into the roof/outside is adequate?

Which door are you referring to re: undercutting?

Can you see any other issues with the above plan?

Thanks for the quick reply BTW:D

JDub
24th May 2005, 04:28 PM
For interest sake here is option two:

http://www.users.on.net/joelwillis/ext plans2.jpg

ian
24th May 2005, 09:03 PM
I suggest that among the reasons that rooms are required to have windows is to provide a source of natural light, and to provide a secondary means of escape in the event of a fire. The window into the garage fails the first test and may also fail the second test.

Given your design, I'd be looking at fire rating and sound deadening the wall between the garage and the bedroom this would then preclude the ensuite window.
To avoid a dark and possibly dingy ensuite I'd look at installing a light tube or skylight and ventilating to the outside rather than the roof space. I've heard too many horror stories of mould descenting from the ceiling on account of an inadequately ventilated roof space to want to exhaust a bathroom straight into the roof.