PDA

View Full Version : Another backsaw finsihed.

planemaker
14th September 2013, 02:13 AM
http://i1009.photobucket.com/albums/af219/swagman001/rounded%20cheek%20backsaw/DSC_0032_zps56acf044.jpg (http://s1009.photobucket.com/user/swagman001/media/rounded%20cheek%20backsaw/DSC_0032_zps56acf044.jpg.html)

DSEL74
14th September 2013, 10:32 AM
Very nice I like the extra detail on the bottom of the handle. The step in the horn??

planemaker
14th September 2013, 11:10 AM
Very nice I like the extra detail on the bottom of the handle. The step in the horn?? The step was a bit of an experiment. Wasn't sure how it was going to turn out. Stewie.

DSEL74
14th September 2013, 11:26 AM
The step was a bit of an experiment. Wasn't sure how it was going to turn out. Stewie.

I reakon that design is a keeper! Congrats

planemaker
14th September 2013, 09:05 PM
Thanks DSEL74.

Blue-deviled
14th September 2013, 10:24 PM
That's very nice. The handle and rear of the blade is neat and balanced - good work!

How does it cut?

Cheers,
B-D.

Sawdust Maker
14th September 2013, 10:57 PM
Noice

and the wood is?

planemaker
15th September 2013, 01:39 PM
That's very nice. The handle and rear of the blade is neat and balanced - good work!

How does it cut?

Cheers,
B-D. Very nice indeed. :2tsup:

planemaker
15th September 2013, 01:40 PM
Noice

and the wood is? Hi Nick. The wood used is Makore.

RayG
15th September 2013, 07:06 PM
Stunning work Stewie, just when I think you've hit the pinnacle, you come out and top it again.

Your saw handles are becoming works of art. :2tsup:

Regards
Ray

Blue-deviled
15th September 2013, 07:18 PM
Very nice indeed. :2tsup:

Excellent! :2tsup:

derekcohen
15th September 2013, 07:36 PM
Hi Stewie

I like this handle. The proportions are excellent, as usual. I was not mad about your previous design with the flaring horns, and mentioned that to you before. What you have done here with the steps in the horns is not something I have seen before, and it adds I interesting touch, one that does not impinge. I am undecided about the cutouts at rear of the cheek. They are also well done and attractive, but it may be a case of too many features and the design gets too busy. If it was to be one or the other, I'd keep the steps and drop the cutouts.

I am interested in how the Makore worked (I have a big pile ready for either a chair or a desk). I have heard that it is very abrasive - more so than Jarrah? And also the dust can create allergies - did you use any special protection?

Regards from Perth

Derek

planemaker
15th September 2013, 09:26 PM
Stunning work Stewie, just when I think you've hit the pinnacle, you come out and top it again.

Your saw handles are becoming works of art. :2tsup:

Regards
Ray Thanks Ray. After giving the teeth a final sharpen I decided to reshape the heel of the blade slightly so it flows much more smoothly into the lambs tongue. It gives the saw a more professional finish. Stewie. http://i1009.photobucket.com/albums/af219/swagman001/Double%20radial%20cheek%20backsaw/DSC_0036_zps3b209f5b.jpg (http://s1009.photobucket.com/user/swagman001/media/Double%20radial%20cheek%20backsaw/DSC_0036_zps3b209f5b.jpg.html)

kamusur
15th September 2013, 09:39 PM
That looks bloody sensational, i'd sure like to cut some timber with it.:2tsup:

Steve

planemaker
15th September 2013, 10:45 PM
Hi Stewie

I like this handle. The proportions are excellent, as usual. I was not mad about your previous design with the flaring horns, and mentioned that to you before. What you have done here with the steps in the horns is not something I have seen before, and it adds I interesting touch, one that does not impinge. I am undecided about the cutouts at rear of the cheek. They are also well done and attractive, but it may be a case of too many features and the design gets too busy. If it was to be one or the other, I'd keep the steps and drop the cutouts.

I am interested in how the Makore worked (I have a big pile ready for either a chair or a desk). I have heard that it is very abrasive - more so than Jarrah? And also the dust can create allergies - did you use any special protection?

Regards from Perth

Derek Thank you for your thoughts on this latest backsaw design. The impetus to go for a more traditional rounded edge to the cheek line was a direct result from the feedback that you and others suggested as part of the feedback from the previous handle design I posted. I think you may be right about the rear of the cheek. It looks slightly congested in detail and could be made less so to appease the eyes. I will have a look at that next time round. I found the Makore a nice wood to work with. It accepts a good finish, but the dust did leave a mild irritation to the throat afterwards. Regards, Stewie.

planemaker
15th September 2013, 10:46 PM
That looks bloody sensational, i'd sure like to cut some timber with it.:2tsup:

Steve Thanks for the feedback Steve.

pmcgee
16th September 2013, 09:57 PM
Thank you for your thoughts on this latest backsaw design.

Purely personally ... I like the rear of the cheek ... and the smoother heel action.

The whole handle looks excellently. :)

The only question mark that catches my eye is the step in the lower horn vs the smooth upper one.

But totally awesome!

Cheers,
Paul

planemaker
17th September 2013, 02:17 AM
Thanks Paul .