PDA

View Full Version : Tack Cloth

toolieturn
14th September 2013, 01:44 PM
Hi Turners, Segmented turnings use contrasting colour wood and sanding dust shows in the grain.
Is it safe to use tack cloth, without leaving anything behind from the cloth such as silicon or stickness.
I intend to use a metho based sealer and I'm thinking a wipe over with metho could be safer.
I read on line a US pen turner uses acetone to clean out dust. Thanks for your thoughts :B

Rod Gilbert
14th September 2013, 07:56 PM
Hi toolieturn,
If you are going to use metho based top coats after you clean the turning then yes I would stick with metho based to begin with only because we are talking in general as there are so many types of finishes nowadays that to be specific without knowing the exact finish you intend to use so as I said in this instance I would stick to similar bases to avoid non compatibility, but having said that a lot of problems stem from using hard woods next to softer species eg: Ebony and Huon pine the harder dust of the Ebony drives into the softer Huon and wiping off will not remove a lot of this from the job. So try to find similar densities in timber to combine I realize this is not always possible but try to when you can it will make this problem easier to get around. A tack cloth should not leave any silicone residue.
Regards Rod.

Mobyturns
16th September 2013, 07:23 PM
Toolie, be carefull with thinners based products to clean out the dust. Ive had problems with nitro cellulose sanding sealer bleeding the colour from one timber into the next particularly with timber like Padauk / New Guinea Rosewood into Qld Silver Ash etc. I prefer to get the off the tool finish a good as I can get to minimise sanding as my spin tops are all end grain. I use thinned blonde shellac as a sanding sealer on the last couple of cuts, which helps a lot. Use the same with my laminated bowls.

powderpost
16th September 2013, 09:20 PM
Hi Toolie, I am not sure there are many people around that use many different coloured timbers in the one project as I do and I don't use a tack cloth. I do however, always use a coat of sanding sealer before any sand paper gets any near the job. That fills the pores so that sanding dust cannot enter the pores. It is paramount that you are careful with sharp tools to get as good a finish on final cuts as is possible before sanding, Find out about shear scraping and learn how to do it and your sanding will be reduced to a minimum.

Jim

Sawdust Maker
17th September 2013, 09:40 PM
Hi Toolie, I am not sure there are many people around that use many different coloured timbers in the one project as I do and I don't use a tack cloth. I do however, always use a coat of sanding sealer before any sand paper gets any near the job. That fills the pores so that sanding dust cannot enter the pores. It is paramount that you are careful with sharp tools to get as good a finish on final cuts as is possible before sanding, Find out about shear scraping and learn how to do it and your sanding will be reduced to a minimum.

Jim

wise words from the master

toolieturn
21st September 2013, 10:36 PM
Thanks to all for your informative replies ,I never stop learning
Yes I do shear scrape but on this occasion I used a very sharpe skew flat on the rest
I saw a female pro (Lois Green, I think) use this finishing method
some years ago.From now on I will apply sanding sealer before the final finishing cuts
and not try wiping of dust with a solvant. Thanks Guys