PDA

View Full Version : My first turning since high school.

The Hornet
24th May 2005, 09:15 PM
Hi everyone, i had some offcut maple, so i decided to make a small chisel mallet, i have attached the pics below.

rsser
25th May 2005, 12:55 PM
Good on you Hornet.

Red gum stumps are good for mallets too.

Welcome to the forum.

arose62
25th May 2005, 02:43 PM
I never got to use a lathe at High School, but my first turning was a mallet also.

I found a bit of laminated 4x4 pine near a house going up, and that mallet gets used for everything! It's probably the most used tool I own.

Do a search on here, as there are a few other discussions about mallet design, and a few other pics as well.

I turned a (large) mallet for my (large) Tongan brother-in-law a few weeks back, out of a chunk of Jarrah, as he's into doing "native carvings". I'd guess the handle is about the same diameter as the head of your mallet :-)

Look forward to seeing your 2nd, 3rd, and so on ... turnings.

Cheers,
Andrew

La truciolara
25th May 2005, 05:00 PM
The Hornet
Nice piece.
As you can see, turning is like bicycle... once you know...
For the enxt piece you'll turn, do not forget the finishing.

The Hornet
25th May 2005, 11:26 PM
The Hornet
Nice piece.
As you can see, turning is like bicycle... once you know...
For the enxt piece you'll turn, do not forget the finishing.Thanks everyone for the comments.
I forgot to finishe it on the lathe, so i am now rubbing it with some premade shellac i bought at Bunnings. I will post the final pics.

La truciolara
25th May 2005, 11:31 PM
... I forgot to finishe it on the lathe.....As we say here... you now need a lot of "elbow oil" :) I'm sure next time you will not forget the finishing on the lathe.

RETIRED
25th May 2005, 11:42 PM
"elbow oil"

Elbow grease is the term LT but very good coming from overseas. You're gonna fit in well here. :D

Bruce Micheal
26th May 2005, 12:30 AM
You have done very well!
Keep it up, it's bl@#dly adictive!!! :D

Dave52
27th May 2005, 04:45 PM
Good one hornet. I didn't even do woodwork at school. Been playing with metal all my life.

Took up woodturning a few months ago and love it. I too have made a mallet or 2

Dave 52

smidsy
27th May 2005, 08:22 PM
Gee we are a violent lot everyone making mallets :D

Great work tho hornet.
Cheers
Paul