PDA

View Full Version : Button Die Storage

Jim Ferrous
18th September 2013, 06:15 PM
Storing button dies has always been a pain.

I made 5 of these up today, just pine drilled out with a Forstner bit and another piece of pine for a lid with hinges and a catch and the whole thing sprayed with ballistol -

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7427/9796822813_ce9b143a7a_o.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7318/9796821493_2a3412d00f_o.jpg

Oldneweng
18th September 2013, 06:31 PM
Storing button dies has always been a pain.

I made 5 of these up today, just pine drilled out with a Forstner bit and another piece of pine for a lid with hinges and a catch and the whole thing sprayed with ballistol -

snip

Great idea. I got my Forstner bit out on the weekend to make the same type of thing when I find the timber to do it. I am going to start with a box for my ER collet set. I need a bit more depth. I did think about cutting a slab of redgum. or just using layers of plywood. Wonder which would look best?

Dean

Michael G
18th September 2013, 07:20 PM
I am going to start with a box for my ER collet set. I need a bit more depth. I did think about cutting a slab of redgum. or just using layers of plywood. Wonder which would look best?

I have a saw handle that I made up of layers of ply. When sanded and clear finished I think it looks good. The other plus is that you can make up your slab of ply and drill right through before gluing another piece of ply on the bottom. This way the base can be much thinner than if drilling with a Forstner bit as you won't have to allow as much thickness for the screw/ spike on the end.

Do you like red or white?
285906 285907

Michael

Oldneweng
18th September 2013, 07:43 PM
I have a saw handle that I made up of layers of ply. When sanded and clear finished I think it looks good. The other plus is that you can make up your slab of ply and drill right through before gluing another piece of ply on the bottom. This way the base can be much thinner, than if drilling with a Forstner bit as you won't have to allow as much thickness for the screw/ spike on the end.

Do you like red or white?
285906 285907

Michael

Very nice Michael. Both look good. Actually it was the layer idea that made me think about ply.

Dean