PDA

View Full Version : lathe not long enough

chuck1
19th September 2013, 11:29 PM
making some posts for staircase today, and could only turn 3.4 metres long and the post needed to be 4.6 , so I had a design modification !
worked well once it's installed with the 2 handrails attached it will be very solid!
next week it will be balusters to match!

Mobyturns
20th September 2013, 09:36 AM
Love seeing large architectural spindle work - very nice.

chuck1
20th September 2013, 10:01 AM
thankyou mobyturns I hope to get more photos of the Stairs installed but I'm only in the workshop so I don't get to see my work installed! this job is a full federation with cut stringers with fancy thin cutout brackets under the treads, never thought I would be back on the tools again.
as a part time job hand turning!

Jim Carroll
20th September 2013, 11:23 AM
Turning only the turned sections was the way we used to do it as well, makes for easier turning.

chuck1
20th September 2013, 11:59 AM
yes it does Jim! the hard part is the shoulders of this job being an oogee with fillet on the square! the next lot of posts are surian cedar so colour match is important

Jim Carroll
20th September 2013, 01:37 PM
yes it does Jim! the hard part is the shoulders of this job being an oogee with fillet on the square! the next lot of posts are surian cedar so colour match is important

That was always one of the first questions, is it going to be clear or painted.

If painted we put a coat of primer on to hide any grain differences.

artful bodger
20th September 2013, 07:32 PM
Nice work Chuck! Wouldn't mind a picture of the lathe you turned this on!
Any chance?
Also, what did you use to drill the holes into the end grain with?
Cheers

chuck1
20th September 2013, 08:25 PM
it's just a teknatool with cast iron bed extension to 3.5 metres! to drill the post I used a makita cordless a Frost spade drill bit and a coworker to align the up down and I kept an eye on the side to side!
I was happy with the join! the frost brand bits have a bit more substance to it over some other brand bits the cost $30

Mobyturns
20th September 2013, 10:06 PM
thankyou mobyturns I hope to get more photos of the Stairs installed but I'm only in the workshop so I don't get to see my work installed! this job is a full federation with cut stringers with fancy thin cutout brackets under the treads, never thought I would be back on the tools again.
as a part time job hand turning!

I know that feeling. I used to work with my Dad 30+ years ago installing them & building houses. Now I do the occasional special turning job for a mate who does high end stairs and solid furniture. Hardly ever get a photo of the finished job, because he does his bit then the painters etc and often does not get back to the job. I'd like to do more, but its just not practical when often he can purchase a finished newel for not nuch more than he can purchase the raw timber even in bulk packs. I think he mentioned $80 for a finished newel in kwilia, $26 for a balauster?.

I agree first question on any turning job - stained or painted? Painted saves the client at least 10-20%.

it's just a teknatool with cast iron bed extension to 3.5 metres! to drill the post I used a makita cordless a Frost spade drill bit and a coworker to align the up down and I kept an eye on the side to side!
I was happy with the join! the frost brand bits have a bit more substance to it over some other brand bits the cost $30

Why not use a V block with a Jacobs chuck in the Headstock as I have done a couple of times.

chuck1
20th September 2013, 10:26 PM
it was quicker with the cordless! we do have a horizontal borer but I keep forgetting about it!
when I started turning we wholesaled a 1.5 metre turned post for $50 and that was hand turned!
now I've got to psych myself up to turn all the balusters as there isn't an auto Lathe cheap enough to turn this pattern! which is great for me! keeps me in a job!