PDA

View Full Version : Recycling batteries

neksmerj
21st September 2013, 08:32 PM
One of the first things I do in the workshop, hypothetical workshop that is, is turn on the radio. There's nothing like a bit of culture while turning up a piece of metal.

My tranny is an old Sanyo battery operated model, and chews up batteries at the rate of four AA's a month. Such a shame to chuck them out when they're nearly flat.

Bugger that, I thought I'd try the impossible and go against the advice on the battery, and recharge them. The advice is DO NOT INCINERATE OR RECHARGE, or they may explode.

I just happen to have an Energizer recharger, and put the batteries in. Shielding my face, I turned it on.

After an hour, the four batteries were hardly warm, so I gave them another hour for good measure.

The batteries I use are Varta alkaline, made in Germany.

Cutting to the chase, the batteries are revitalized and have been going for twenty hours now without degradation.

More machining with nice music in the background.........give it a try.

Of course the boffins will probably say that the energy to recharge the batteries is probably worth more than the batteries cost, but it's more than that, these batteries won't be going to land fill just yet.

nearnexus
21st September 2013, 08:49 PM
Interesting.

Why don't you just wire in an old DC powerpack of the correct (or similar) voltage and do away with batteries forever?

The wattage won't matter as transistor radios don't require much.

Volts can be + or - 10% without any problems.

That's what I did.

Rob

neksmerj
21st September 2013, 08:58 PM
Hi Rob,

That's fine wiring my tranny in, but I like to take it from room to room, so to speak.

Ken

BobL
21st September 2013, 09:24 PM
Not to put too fine a point on it but these batteries are not being recharged, to do that the batteries needs to undergo a reversible chemical reactions which is not possible given the chemicals present in an alkaline battery. What putting them in a recharger does is slightly heat them so that it partially clears the hydrogen gas that builds up around the central electrode. Not that I advise it but a similar effect can be achieved by putting them in an oven on low heat for several hours. The recharger works better because the heat is generated at the electrode where the gas is present whereas the oven heat needs to get in through the guts of the battery..

Dry cell batteries have heaps of energy in them even when they are dead flat. The problems is the energy cannot get out because the hydrogen raises the internal resistance of the battery which eventually stops the current flowing through the battery.

Just a reminder that's hydrogen gas that is being heated, it's not usually enough volume to be really dangerous but depending on how quickly they are heated there is still a good chance that the battery could split and make a mess. The level of danger depends on the number of times the batteries are heated and the battery charger some which use higher currents than others may explode the batteries.

It will be interesting to see how many "revitalisations" you can get out of them.

neksmerj
21st September 2013, 09:54 PM
Thanks Bobl, I like your technical explanation, I'll let everyone know how long these batteries last, just for the record.

Ken

XJ9OX
21st September 2013, 10:46 PM
Hi, I have a Rezap Battery Doctor charger that happily charges alkaline batteries. Some of the cheap alkaline batteries will recharge three or four times without problems. The thing that you have to watch out for is the battery leaking after it has been charged - the Duracell Copper Top ones are the worst for this that I have found as they will often leak into your clock/radio etc after the first recharge. It's probably the gas pressure inside the battery building up like BobL said that causes some to leak a bit prematurely, but you can still save a heap on these batteries by recharging them a few times. The Rezap charger is a "smart" charger (sold as capable of safely recharging alkaline batteries) and it will let you know when the battery wont take a recharge as well as an indication of the power left in the battery. It would take quite a few battery recharges to pay back the cost of the charger though.

If all else fails, get yourself one of those dynamo powered radios. I have one to take camping and all you have to do is wind the handle for a minute or so occasionally to keep it going - no batteries required! - but you will have to wind it a fair few times to get 20 hours worth of listening :D

Simon

simonl
21st September 2013, 11:04 PM
When I was a kid, batteries seemed to be so much more expensive (or so it seemed) and they only ever had the carbon zinc batteries that were crap. When I had a toy that needed new batteries, I would tell mum, she would then give them to Dad and he would sit them above the furnace heater for half the night and then give them back to me. It used to "recharge" them and everyone was happy again!

Now I know the science behind it all. Thanks Bob!

Simon

varythings
21st September 2013, 11:29 PM
You don't like rechargeable batteries? Like this one:

or cheaper this one? :

Ren

Oldneweng
22nd September 2013, 08:33 AM
I'll throw in my 2 cents. We use rechargable AA's at work for 2 way radios. The best by far are the Sanyo Eneloop based on how much charge you get out of them after all the idiots have finished trying to recharge then etc. They are the only one they buy now.

I picked up 2 Rezap chargers for $10 each couple of years ago. I tried the alkalines in them but gave up. Not worth the effort.

The problem I have is that I use a small mp3 player plugged into an old cheap stereo for music in my shed. This mp3 player takes 1 only AAA and it does not last 24 hrs. I could make up a fake battery with just the connections to connect to a charger pak but 1.5v?

Dean

simonl
22nd September 2013, 09:32 AM
I'll throw in my 2 cents. We use rechargable AA's at work for 2 way radios. The best by far are the Sanyo Eneloop based on how much charge you get out of them after all the idiots have finished trying to recharge then etc. They are the only one they buy now.

I picked up 2 Rezap chargers for $10 each couple of years ago. I tried the alkalines in them but gave up. Not worth the effort.

The problem I have is that I use a small mp3 player plugged into an old cheap stereo for music in my shed. This mp3 player takes 1 only AAA and it does not last 24 hrs. I could make up a fake battery with just the connections to connect to a charger pak but 1.5v?

Dean

You would have to drop the voltage down using an adjustable voltage regulator or, if it has a USB port then fed it 5V from a USB charger?

Simon

Oldneweng
22nd September 2013, 10:50 AM
You would have to drop the voltage down using an adjustable voltage regulator or, if it has a USB port then fed it 5V from a USB charger?

Simon

It has a mini usb but will not take power from there. Because it is powered from a replacable battery it wont do so as there would be no reason to. I prefer replacable batteries in this situation as when the battery goes flat you can just put in a new one. I have used another mp3 player with usb power to run it from a power pack but this does not make it portable which is one of my requirements, sort of. Maybe I should just buy a new mp3 player that does what I need. They are dirt cheap. I prefer ones with sd card sockets actually so you can change on the run.

My other mp3 player has a micro sd socket. I think they should make them even smaller (sd cards). This would make it even easier to lable them with the contained content. :D

I have an adjustable voltage power pak but I think it only goes down to 3v. Parallel wire a battery compartment to take multiple bigger rechargable batteries? Get one of those BIG 1.5v batteries!

Dean

cba_melbourne
22nd September 2013, 10:55 AM
Not to put too fine a point on it but these batteries are not being recharged, to do that the batteries needs to undergo a reversible chemical reactions which is not possible given the chemicals present in an alkaline battery. What putting them in a recharger does is slightly heat them so that it partially clears the hydrogen gas that builds up around the central electrode. Not that I advise it but a similar effect can be achieved by putting them in an oven on low heat for several hours. The recharger works better because the heat is generated at the electrode where the gas is present whereas the oven heat needs to get in through the guts of the battery..

Dry cell batteries have heaps of energy in them even when they are dead flat. The problems is the energy cannot get out because the hydrogen raises the internal resistance of the battery which eventually stops the current flowing through the battery.

Just a reminder that's hydrogen gas that is being heated, it's not usually enough volume to be really dangerous but depending on how quickly they are heated there is still a good chance that the battery could split and make a mess. The level of danger depends on the number of times the batteries are heated and the battery charger some which use higher currents than others may explode the batteries.

It will be interesting to see how many "revitalisations" you can get out of them.

Truly rechargeable alkaline batteries (with reversible chemical reaction) do exist. some info here:
Rechargeable alkaline battery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rechargeable_alkaline_battery)

BobL
22nd September 2013, 11:52 AM
Truly rechargeable alkaline batteries (with reversible chemical reaction) do exist. some info here:
Rechargeable alkaline battery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rechargeable_alkaline_battery)

Good point, I forgot about those. :2tsup:

Ueee
22nd September 2013, 11:57 AM

And all my Dad told me was "more free electrons find their way to the poles". At school i remember all the kids talking about putting batteries in the freezer to "recharge" them. I kept telling them just to leave them out and the same thing would happen, and that they were not really being recharged. Who's gonna listen to the class nerd though?
Thanks for taking the time to explain Bob.

Ew

forp
22nd September 2013, 01:58 PM
Hi, please take precautions when experimenting with charging primary cells. Keep an eye on them while they are being charged. High charging rates can cause explosions if the internal vents fail. Fire do happens only when they are overheated.

Few of the con's apart from safety reason is leaking batteries. The alkaline juice will attack battery terminals on your device quickly. Then it travels into the connecting wires corroding the tin and copper. The alkaline will eventually land on the circuit board attacking the copper tracks via capillary action. This is time action based and corrosion happens very quickly and it is irreversible damage. Early attacks can be saved, severe corrosion requires more work.

Battery leaks happens by various unexplained reasons. Recharging alkalines will increase the risk.

Since you already own a charger, get a set of Sanyo Eneloops. They are now bought over by Panasonic brand change might happen. These batteries will be happy to eat and supply at any time you like. If your charger is a human controlled time based charger, don't over charge them and you will be able to milk hundreds of cycles out of them. They are Low Self Discharge so they will work even though they have been inactive for a few months.

Oldneweng
22nd September 2013, 08:42 PM
Sanyo Eneloops! I will have to remember that! :rolleyes:

I have learnt quite a bit from this thread. Now if someone has info on recycling lead acid batteries and we link that to the RAPS thread that would be great.

Dean

simonl
22nd September 2013, 11:29 PM
On the odd occasion that I want music either in the shed or outside, I use my Bosch radio/MP3 player similar to this but an earlier model.
Bosch Power Box Jobsite Radio AM/FM Stereo w/ MP3 Compatibility PB360S-RT on eBay! (http://compare.ebay.com.au/like/281094485559?ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&cbt=y&_lwgsi=y&lpid=45&item_id=281094485559)

The CD player also recognises MP3 and so I have burnt about 100 or so songs on a CD and play them.... or listen to the radio. It's got a remote too! :U

Simon

Combustor
23rd September 2013, 02:28 AM
So if you think little trannies can eat batteries, imagine what the early valve type portables could do! Later ones were mains/battery type, and eventually there were models with a switchable "re-activate" position, so that when mains connected they could refresh the damned expensive carbon/zinc cells, about the size of a housebrick. So I guess it's not a really new concept after all. Combustor.

BobL
23rd September 2013, 10:43 AM
So if you think little trannies can eat batteries, imagine what the early valve type portables could do! Later ones were mains/battery type, and eventually there were models with a switchable "re-activate" position, so that when mains connected they could refresh the damned expensive carbon/zinc cells, about the size of a housebrick. So I guess it's not a really new concept after all. Combustor.

My Uncle had one of those trannies. He left it with me (I was about 11 years old) when he went to work in the Pilbara and his instructions were not to leave the "reactivate" switch on for more than a certain time but I forgot and it melted down and destroyed the guts of the radio.

Timless Timber
23rd September 2013, 05:50 PM
And all my Dad told me was "more free electrons find their way to the poles".
Ew

Really?

A topic dear to my heart.

Maybe BobL can advise....

Do the electrons indeed "flow along the wire" (or electrode) "to the end" (pole),

Or

Does one electron get excited and vibrate and cause the one next to it to similarly get excited and vibrate - and so on all along the wire or electrode?

So is it really like a garden hose full of marbles - as you push another marbel in one end, another must be expelled from the other end at the same time to make room for it?.

If the electrons indeed "flow along the wire"........ (like marbles thru a garden hose) how do the electrons detach from their atoms nucleus (protons and neutrons) and whats replaces them, as they detach to flow along the wire?.

If they don't detach and just vibrate - causing their near neighbors to vibrate... this must take an amount of passage of time before all the electrons in the whole wire vibrating at one end start the last ones in the wire vibrating at the other end.

What speed does this take place at? (i.e. how fast is lectrickery in a copper wire)? (Slower than the speed of light presumably?).

Is it slower in say a semi conductor than a copper wire?

Fascinating stuff this lectrickery! :)

Oldneweng
23rd September 2013, 07:57 PM
Really?

Do the electrons indeed "flow along the wire" (or electrode) "to the end" (pole),

Or

Does one electron get excited and vibrate and cause the one next to it to similarly get excited and vibrate - and so on all along the wire or electrode?

So is it really like a garden hose full of marbles - as you push another marbel in one end, another must be expelled from the other end at the same time to make room for it?.

If the electrons indeed "flow along the wire"........ (like marbles thru a garden hose) how do the electrons detach from their atoms nucleus (protons and neutrons) and whats replaces them, as they detach to flow along the wire?.

If they don't detach and just vibrate - causing their near neighbors to vibrate... this must take an amount of passage of time before all the electrons in the whole wire vibrating at one end start the last ones in the wire vibrating at the other end.

What speed does this take place at? (i.e. how fast is lectrickery in a copper wire)? (Slower than the speed of light presumably?).

Try sticking your finger close to the end of a spark plug wire and see what comes out the end. :D

Dean

simonl
23rd September 2013, 08:58 PM
Really?

Or

It's my understanding that the electrons flow, hence the term current. The measurement of 1 Ampere is in actual fact 1 packet of electrons flowing/second. This packet is called a coulomb and contains 6.023x 10E23 electrons. The energy that each of these packets has been given is measured in joules. 1 volt is 1 joule/coulomb. So, the number of joules/coulomb x coulombs/second = joules/second = power. Hence the reason why volts x current = power. It is estimated that an electron takes about 50 years to travel from Latrobe Valley to Melbourne, well that's what my year 12 physics teacher told me anyway!

The flow of electrons (or the holes that they leave) in semi conductors is a different ball game.

Simon

BobL
23rd September 2013, 09:05 PM
Do the electrons indeed "flow along the wire" (or electrode) "to the end" (pole)

If it is DC they do indeed flow, but only with a "drift velocity" of <1 mm/s.

In AC the electrons just vibrate back and forth dependent on the AC frequency.

But if that is the case why does a light turn on instantly when the switch is thrown?

That's because the applied voltage travels at the speed of electromagnetic radiation (EM) in the medium. DC and AC EM speeds in copper are nearly as fast as light speed of light in a vacuum so the voltage is sensed effectively instantaneously across the entire circuit so ALL the free electrons in the circuit start flowing at the same time.

BTW its when drift velocities reach cm/s the wires will melt.

Timless Timber
23rd September 2013, 09:09 PM
OK - so if I run a long (insulated) wire right around the earths equator, and connect one end to the +ve pole of a 12V car battery and the other end to the -ve pole, then those flowing coulombs of electrons will travel right around the earth!

What if, just a instant before they get to the end, I were to disconnect the wire from the pole... (or if I had a switch near the end of the wire lets say, where do those traveling electrons go, or how do they get back to the end from where they started)?

If I did this multiple times - would we end up with coulombs and coulombs of electrons all stacked up at the far end of the wire?

At what point... in the electrons travels along the wire when the circuit is completed - does the wet cell battery start to give up it's electrons between the 2 dissimilar metals in its electrolyte.

Is it when the electrons from the copper wire get to the pole of the battery?...

Do the electrons from the battery metal/s go into the wire from the pole of the battery to replace the ones that flowed along the wire?

I wish we could see this happen in real time - with like a electron microscope video camera....

BobL
23rd September 2013, 09:33 PM
OK - so if I run a long (insulated) wire right around the earths equator, and connect one end to the +ve pole of a 12V car battery and the other end to the -ve pole, then those flowing coulombs of electrons will travel right around the earth!

Sure but ALL the free electrons in the wire move simultaneously. The electrons that exit the negative terminal of the battery and enter the wore are replaced by the same number of electrons that leave the wire and enter the battery at the positve terminal.

What if, just a instant before they get to the end, I were to disconnect the wire from the pole... (or if I had a switch near the end of the wire lets say, where do those traveling electrons go, or how do they get back to the end from where they started)?

If I did this multiple times - would we end up with coulombs and coulombs of electrons all stacked up at the far end of the wire?

See my comment above, the electrons do not stack they move like a conveyor belt, in unison across the whole circuits.

At what point... in the electrons travels along the wire when the circuit is completed - does the wet cell battery start to give up it's electrons between the 2 dissimilar metals in its electrolyte.
Is it when the electrons from the copper wire get to the pole of the battery?...
Instantaneously.

Do the electrons from the battery metal/s go into the wire from the pole of the battery to replace the ones that flowed along the wire?
Yep - instantaneously

I wish we could see this happen in real time - with like a electron microscope video camera....
Err . . . you are talking about seeing electrons with an "electron" microscope. That's like seeing a tennis ball using a tennis balls.
No, wait . . . . it's much harder, in addition to the drift velocity of 1 mm/s all the electrons have a thermal vibrational velocity of km/s so it would be like seeing a 1mm/s movement of one tennis ball scooting around all over the place at km/s velocity with a bunch of other tennis balls also buzzing around at km/s.

Timless Timber
23rd September 2013, 09:57 PM
So if it's more of a conveyor belt.... where they all move simultaneously... then it's really like a garden hose full of marbles - one in one end, results in one out the other end, at the same time. :wink: :2tsup:

Just something I've always pondered over... trying to picture it in one's mind!.

That would account for how the voltage seems to get to the other end instantaneously!. :cool:

(But I am still confused.... :D )

Why then is it that "Time" on an atom passes much faster than "time" at the earth level does.
Why is it that in the "time zone" of the nucleus of an atom, "time" seems to "slow down" so that the "measured velocity" of the electron appears to be only 1/137th the speed of light? But the electron's behavior seems to be that it is everywhere around the atom at the same time (electron shell), or has a "virtual velocity" of infinity?. :?

Someone should read these electrons the riot act, coz they seem to have a mind all of their own! :doh:

BobL
23rd September 2013, 10:29 PM
. . . . . Someone should read these electrons the riot act, coz they seem to have a mind all of their own! :doh:

They sure are, we know some things about them to a great number of decimal places but the tendency to treat them as little ball bearings is more often than not a poor representation. In fact, even though we use them extensively, and have lots of descriptors for them, no one really know what they are.

Timless Timber
23rd September 2013, 10:52 PM
Where I was headed...

suppose...

That instead of a length of insulated wire, going around the earth (several times) to make the electrons "trip" along the wire (or if we wish to slow them down a tad - along a doped degenerate semi conductor instead) long enough to allow us to introduce a transistorized switching mechanism.... that fast enough to "kill" (break) the energized circuit, an instant before they reach the pole of the battery...

And suppose we instead of a long run around the earth make a huge coil of wire around a metal rod....

For the brief instant that wires "energized" (has coulombs of electrons packets traveling along like a conveyor) - and before it is switched off, when the circuit is opened - would not the metal rod inside the coil become albeit briefly, an electromagnet?

If we set the "switching rate" of the transistorized switch gear such that it repeatedly "energizes" and then "De-energizes" the wire in rapid succession, and we use a doped degenerate semi conductor (instead of copper wire) to slow the rate of "electron drift" such that our switching was faster...

Could we not "perform work" with the repeatedly energized magnetic rod about which our coil is wound?

Would that not in fact be:-

http://www.cheniere.org/images/meg/AUT_57061a1.jpg

A motionless electromagnetic generator - and would not the battery supplying the source charge - never get used up if the circuit is never completed (allowed to remain switch on long enough for the first electron to go past the switch)?

:wink:

BobL
23rd September 2013, 11:07 PM
Where I was headed...

suppose...

That instead of a length of insulated wire, going around the earth (several times) to make the electrons "trip" along the wire (or if we wish to slow them down a tad - along a doped degenerate semi conductor instead) long enough to allow us to introduce a transistorized switching mechanism.... that fast enough to "kill" (break) the energized circuit, an instant before they reach the pole of the battery...

If you insert anything in the circuit to slow them down ALL the electrons in the circuit will slow down.

BobL
23rd September 2013, 11:15 PM
It's my understanding that the electrons flow, hence the term current. The measurement of 1 Ampere is in actual fact 1 packet of electrons flowing/second. This packet is called a coulomb and contains 6.023x 10E23 electrons. The energy that each of these packets has been given is measured in joules. 1 volt is 1 joule/coulomb. So, the number of joules/coulomb x coulombs/second = joules/second = power. Hence the reason why volts x current = power. It is estimated that an electron takes about 50 years to travel from Latrobe Valley to Melbourne, well that's what my year 12 physics teacher told me anyway!

Sure, except the current or electrons do not flow as or in packets. All the free electrons are evenly distributed in a conductor and move simultaneously in the conductor under the influence of the applied voltage at the same time.

Ueee
24th September 2013, 12:53 AM
Yep that would break the first law of energy....there may be many that will tell you its all a conspiracy etc and free energy machines work, but its all crap, energy cannot just appear from nowhere, or just disappear.

Thanks for the insightful info Bob...i particularly like your tennis ball analogy.

The bit that gets me is that atoms are mostly empty space. If we are made up of mostly empty space how are we solid???

Ew

DavidG
24th September 2013, 01:08 AM
If we are made up of mostly empty space how are we solid???
Because of the molecular bonds between the atoms and molecules.

Like chicken wire. Mostly space but held together by little bits of wire (bonds)

Another thing for the free energy ppl to think about.

It takes work to move an electron from one atom to another.
This work results in an energy loss as heat.

Good conductors have fairly loose electrons in the outer orbits
and insulators tightly bind the electrons.

It is a long while since I studied electron theory.

Is it hole movement or electron movement :roll:

Timless Timber
24th September 2013, 02:11 AM
Yep that would break the first law of energy....there may be many that will tell you its all a conspiracy etc and free energy machines work, but its all crap, energy cannot just appear from nowhere, or just disappear.

Many would agree with you! That's what is taught, so its understandable, but not EVERYTHING that's taught is always correct!

The Problem: Detail the functioning of the motionless electromagnetic generator (MEG) {1} and why its COP > 1.0 operation is permissible.

The solution:

The overwhelming importance of the magnetic vector potential, particularly when one looks through quantum electrodynamic “eyes” and in various gauges.
The Aharonov-Bohm mechanism {2} utilized by the MEG {3,4,5}.
Why the potential energy of any EM system (such as the MEG) can be freely changed at will, and for free, in accord with the gauge freedom principle {6}.
The difference between symmetrical and asymmetrical regauging {7,8}.
Why a nonequilibrium steady state (NESS) system freely receiving energy from its environment can exhibit COP > 1.0.
The direct analogy between the MEG and a common COP = 3.0 heat pump {9}. Discussion 1: Potentials are real and force fields are derived.

The old notion that potentials were merely mathematical conveniences has long been falsified, particularly by the Aharonov-Bohm effect {2}, extended to the Berry phase {10}, and further extended to the geometric phase {11}. There are some 20,000 physics papers on geometric phase, Berry phase, and Aharonov-Bohm effect.
In quantum electrodynamics, potentials are primary and force fields are derived.
The force fields only exist in mass, and are the effects of the interaction of the “force-free fields” in space that exist as curvatures of spacetime. There are no force fields in space; there are only gradients of potentials. Spacetime itself is an intense potential. Quoting Feynman {12}: "We may think of E(x, y, z, t) and B(x, y, z, t) as giving the forces that would be experienced at the time t by a charge located at (x, y, z), with the condition that placing the charge there did not disturb the positions or motion of all the other charges responsible for the fields."

The distinction between E-field and B-field is blurred. As Jackson {13} points out: "…E and B have no independent existence. A purely electromagnetic field in one coordinate system will appear as a mixture of electric and magnetic fields in another coordinate frame. … the fields are completely interrelated, and one should properly speak of the electromagnetic field Fab, rather than E or B separately."
· In other words, one can have a magnetic component and at least partially turn it into an electric component, or vice versa. This is important to the MEG’s operation.
· Jackson {14} also points out that, for the Coulomb or transverse gauge:
"...transverse radiation fields are given by the vector potential alone, the instantaneous Coulomb potential contributing only to the near fields. This gauge is particularly useful in quantum electrodynamics. A quantum-mechanical description of photons necessitates quantization of only the vector potential. … the scalar potential 'propagates' instantly everywhere in space. The vector potential, on the other hand, satisfies the wave equation ... with its implied finite speed of propagation c."
· Thus it is of primary importance to consider both the scalar potential f and the vector potential A in a system or circuit, and in its surrounding space. In the MEG, one must particularly consider the magnetic vector potential A.
· Indeed, the magnetic vector potential A is so important that it can be taken as the basis of EM energy inherent in the active vacuum {15}.
· Magnetic vector potential A comes in two varieties: (i) the normal A-potential, which has a curl component called the B-field, and (ii) a curl-free A-potential without a curl component and therefore without the B-field (also called a “field-free” A-potential).
Discussion 2: The Aharonov-Bohm effect.

· In the Aharonov-Bohm effect {2}, the B-field is localized in a specific region. Outside that region, there freely appears a field-free (curl-free) magnetic vector potential A. This is a free regauging process, and its occurrence does not require work.
· This “field-free” A-potential still affects and moves electrons. The difficulty in believing the physical reality of the potentials required 25 years for physicists to overcome before they would accept the publication of the Aharonov-Bohm effect in 1959 {2a}.
· By perturbing the A, one can produce an E-field from it by E = -¶A/¶t.
· It is stressed that, in the AB effect, a regauging has taken place. The potential outside the localization zone has been freely changed, with an extra spacetime curvature and extra energy transferred there by gauge freedom, at no cost to the operator.
Discussion 3: Engines, gauge freedom, and regauging.

The vacuum (spacetime) is extraordinarily energetic. For practical purposes, it contains unlimited energy density {16}. Since the vacuum/spacetime contains energy and energy density, it is therefore an extraordinarily powerful potential—essentially infinite in its point intensity.
A “curvature of spacetime” is identically a change in the ambient vacuum potential, and hence in the “available” vacuum energy. “Energy available” means that, to use it, there must exist a potential difference and gradient between two separated points—and thus an energy current (a “free EM wind”, so to speak). Thus a dipolarity (polarization) is required, to produce a vacuum form or “engine” that will interact on mass to produce a force, by a constant “wind of vacuum energy” acting upon it.
An engine {17} is defined as a set of spacetime curvatures and vacuum flux exchanges—and their dynamics—which can act upon the elements of a mass system to generate its state and its dynamics. The simplest engine is a gradient in the potential. Also, an engine is a set of controlled and dynamic “EM energy currents”.
An engine is also referred to as a vacuum engine or a spacetime curvature engine.
The engine exists in spacetime as curvature(s) of spacetime, whether or not it is interacting with mass.
The engine itself is nonobservable; its [I]interacting with mass is observable.
The engine may move or be moved through spacetime independently of interacting with matter. It is pure energy transfer, and it is work-free.
A force is just the coupling of the simplest engine to mass, with mass-translating orientation. Unless both the engine and mass are present and dynamically coupled, there is no force. We strongly note that mass is a component of force, by F º¶/¶t(mv), and classical mechanics errs in assuming a separate massless force operating upon a separate mass. That notion remains one of the great errors in modern physics.
When a force F translates through a distance, that is the classical notion of external mechanical work W, by the equation W = ò F·dl. Note that—classically—mass has been moved, and the “system” engine has performed “external” work on the mass.
“Stress” on a mass or in a system is the simultaneous application of two or more engines working on the mass or system in such manner that all translation vectors sum to zero vectorially. Hence no external work is done, but internal work is done on the system to produce and continuously maintain this stress with zero translation.
Work is not the change of magnitude of energy in a single form! It is the change of form of energy, from one form to another.
Thus there is a century-old error in the present First Law of thermodynamics: Any change of magnitude of an external parameter (such as the field or potential of a system) has been erroneously defined as work. It is not work if the extra energy is input in the same form. In that case it is asymmetric regauging, and involves only energy transfer without change of form, which requires no work. Regauging is free, by the gauge freedom axiom. The present form of the First Law would rule out gauge freedom—a fact which seems not to have been previously noticed.
The supersystem {17} consists of the physical mass system together with its “engines” and all the ongoing mutual interactions. Hence supersystem dynamics is analyzed simultaneously between (i) the physical system, (ii) the local active curvatures of spacetime, and (iii) the local active vacuum. All three components of the supersystem continually interact with each other.
Discussion 4: Nonequilibrum steady state (NESS) systems can permissibly exhibit COP > 1.0 and even COP = ¥.

A system far from equilibrium in its energy exchange with its environment can steadily and freely receive environmental energy and dissipate it in external loads, exhibiting COP > 1.0 (as does a heat pump) or COP = ¥ (as do the solar cell, windmill, waterwheel, sailboat, etc.).
However, Lorentz symmetrical regauging selects only those Maxwellian systems in net equilibrium with their external vacuum environment. Symmetrical regauging systems can only use their excess free regauging energy from the vacuum to do internal work on the system, changing the stress on or in the system, with the dissipated energy then being returned from the stressing action to the vacuum. Such systems cannot use their excess vacuum energy to do free external work on the load.
The standard Lorentz regauging of Maxwell’s equations thus arbitrarily discards all Maxwellian NESS systems using vacuum energy to do useful external work.
In electrical power systems, the ubiquitous use of the closed current loop circuit self-enforces Lorentz symmetrical regauging. That is totally arbitrary, but unrecognized.
The present-day absence of COP > 1.0 normal electrical power systems, doing external work and freely taking all their input energy from the local vacuum and spacetime curvature, is strictly due to the archaic electrical engineering model and the prevailing use of the closed current loop circuit.
Electrical power engineers easily adapt for a COP = ¥ system such as a solar cell, utilizing energy from its observably active environment. They will not even go and learn (and adapt their archaic model) to properly utilize every system’s nonobservable active vacuum environment for energy to do external work. Instead, they will unwittingly only allow the active vacuum to produce stress in the system, by using only self-symmetrically-regauging systems (the closed current loop circuit).
For a COP > 1.0 or COP = ¥ electrical power system—taking some or all of its input energy freely from its active external (vacuum) environment, analogous to a home heat pump—the system must violate the closed current loop condition (symmetrical regauging) for at least a significant fraction of the operational cycle of the system. In simple terms, the system must be open to receiving and transducing translational energy from its external environment—in this case, the active vacuum—rather than just stressing energy.
There also emerge additional flaws in classical thermodynamics, including in its fundamental definitions:
An “open” system is defined as one that has mass transfer across its borders (and may have energy transfer as well).
A “closed” system is defined as one that has no mass transfer across its borders, but may have energy transfer across them. Since the early 1900’s, mass and energy are known to be identically the same thing, called “mass-energy”. Hence any “closed” system that has energy transfer also has its mass changed, and actually is an “open” system.
An “isolated” system is defined as one in which no energy or mass is exchanged across its boundary. There exists no such system in the entire universe, due to the universal exchange of energy and mass between vacuum and system.
The ubiquitous energetic exchange—between vacuum (and curved spacetime) and the system—does not appear in classical thermodynamics. Yet there is no final conservation of energy unless both the virtual and observable state energy exchanges are considered in one’s analysis.
In the presence of opposite charges and their broken symmetry, much of the virtual vacuum energy absorbed in a dipolar system becomes observable energy in the system. For that reason, the present classical thermodynamics rules are approximations, useful in a great many cases but not absolute. As Kondepudi and Prigogine point out {18}: “…there is no final formulation of science; this also applies to thermodynamics.” Discussion 5: Operation of a home heat pump .

· Efficiency x of an energy or power unit is defined as the total useful energy or external work output of the system, divided by its total energy input from all sources. It is commonly expressed as a percentage.
· The home heat pump {19} may have a nominal efficiency x of x = 50%, which means it wastes half of the total energy input to it from all sources.
· In addition to the operator’s electrical input (which he pays for), the heat pump also utilizes some extra heat energy received from the environment {20}. Thus there are two energy inputs: (i) the electrical energy input paid for by the operator, and (ii) the free environmental energy input furnished by the external atmosphere and processed a bit by compressing, etc. at very low cost.
· The home heat pump thus has two “energy reservoirs”: (i) the electrical energy reservoir furnished by the operator and paid for by him, and (ii) the atmospheric heat energy reservoir furnished freely by the atmosphere.
· Coefficient of performance (COP) is defined as the total useful energy or work output of the system, divided by the operator’s energy input only. It is stated as a decimal, and measures how much “bang for his buck” the system gives the operator.
· Operating in good conditions, a home heat pump of efficiency x = 50% will exhibit a COP = 3.0 to 4.0. The maximum theoretical COP = 8.0 or so. Note that energy is conserved, and all energy output as work is indeed input to the system. No energy is “created out of nothing”. However, the operator only inputs a fraction of the total input required, and the environment freely inputs the rest. The system permissibly outputs 3 to 4 times the useful energy and work as the energy furnished by the operator alone. The excess energy is freely input by the external environment.
· By “overunity power system” we refer to a COP > 1.0, which is permitted by the laws of physics and thermodynamics for NESS systems such as the heat pump. We do not refer to x > 100%, which would require creation of energy from nothing at all.
Discussion 5: Operation of the MEG, analogous to a heat pump.

· The MEG resembles a transformer, having a core of special nanocrystalline material, input coil or coils in the primary, and output coil or coils in the secondary. Its operation, however, is quite different from that of a normal transformer.
· The special nanocrystalline core material used in the MEG has a very special characteristic: The material itself freely localizes an inserted B-field (from the input coil, or from a separate permanent magnet, or both) within the core material itself. Therefore it also freely evokes the Aharonov-Bohm (AB) effect.
· Outside the core, there freely appears an extra curl-free magnetic vector potential A.
· The MEG thus has two energy reservoirs: (i) the normal B-field energy and flux of any transformer resulting from the energy input to its primary coil(s), but now totally localized within the core material, and (ii) an extra free A-potential energy reservoir freely appearing just outside the core material itself.
· Consequently, the MEG is free to output the normal amount of energy from the
B-field flux that a normal transformer would output, and also as much extra energy as it receives and collects from the A-potential in space outside the core.
· The MEG thus has become directly analogous to the heat pump. It has one energy reservoir—the localized B-field in the core—whose energy the operator must furnish and pay for. But it also has a second, free, environmental energy reservoir—a curl-free A-potential—freely available in the external environment.
· Accordingly, for COP > 1.0 operation, the MEG must “process” the available
A-potential reservoir energy into usable form, and use it to help power its load.
· By inputting nearly rectangular pulses to the input coil, the rise time and decay time of each pulse edge produces a resulting sharp change in the external A-potential, producing an E-field by the equation E = -¶A/¶t. Note particularly that, by adjusting the input pulse rise time and decay time, we can adjust the magnitude of the extra E-fields freely produced in space just outside the core, and this effect is easily measured.
· We strongly stress that sharp gradients—such as used for leading and trailing edges of the input pulses to the MEG, with resulting sharp field gradients in the core materials and in the uncurled A-potential—are already recognized to permissibly violate the second law of thermodynamics {21}.
· By adjusting the magnitude of the E-fields outside the MEG core and their frequency (and therefore the energy received from them), one can adjust the available converted E-field energy in the free external reservoir, and thus adjust how much of it is then collected by the MEG.
· This free E-field energy impinges directly upon the MEG’s “output” coil, which now also serves as an input coil. Almost all the B-field produced by the output coil is localized in the core material running through it and held therein.
· The E-field energy from space outside the core thus activates the output coil in almost a purely electric field manner, rather than in a mostly magnetic field manner. The MEG becomes almost a purely “electrical” transformer!
· The output current from the coil is almost in phase with the output voltage (within about 2 degrees). Hence the MEG is almost completely using its induced Aharonov-Bohm effect for its energy input—very different from any other power system transformer.
· Due to its “heat pump” type operation, the MEG becomes a NESS system, freely receiving excess energy from its second (environmental) energy reservoir that is furnished “for free” by the Aharonov-Bohm effect.
· Accordingly, as a NESS system {22} the MEG can permissibly exhibit COP > 1.0. For the MEG, a COP = 3.0 or so is readily achievable, and even higher COP can be achieved by special measures.
· However, one notes the MEG’s high nonlinearity, and thus its susceptibility to nonlinear oscillations and the need for nonlinear control theory and implementation. Also, the ¶A/¶t operation and its E-fields produced, do interact with other coils on the core, including the primary, etc. Hence timing and phasing are critical. An out-of-phase MEG-like unit can worsen the COP < 1.0 a normal transformer would produce! But a properly phased MEG with proper nonlinear control will produce all signals additive as needed at their individual locations. That “optimized” MEG then will produce COP > 1.0. Scale-up also is highly nonlinear, and requires extensive phenomenology buildups and testing to achieve proper stability and control.
· COP = ¥ (self-powering operation similar to a solar cell) is permitted for the MEG (as a NESS system) by the laws of thermodynamics and physics. However, with scale-up phenomenology, materials variations, and the high nonlinearity of the situation, at least one year’s hard work by a team of multiple specialists in geometric phase, nonlinear oscillation theory, nonlinear oscillations control theory, etc. is needed, and modeling must be done in a higher group symmetry electrodynamics. It is certainly doable (just as a home heat pump can be “close looped” for self-powering operation). But it is not a trivial little conventional EM transformer task. It is not simple, and it is not cheap.
· The end result is that we have a successful proof-of-principle MEG experimental device, and a patent has been granted, with additional patent work continuing. But we still have an expensive year or more of complex and specialized lab work before we have prototype scaled-up robust power units ready for mass production and world marketing. We are presently seeking the major funding for that completion.
Conclusions:

· COP > 1.0 and COP = ¥ electrical power systems are perfectly permissible by the laws of thermodynamics and physics; as witness the existence of solar cells with COP = ¥.
· Rigorous proof is given by the Aharonov-Bohm effect itself {2}, gauge freedom, the solar cell, Bohren’s experiment {23}, and several other experimental entities such as the patented MEG. Bedini {24}, e.g., has viable, proven processes for producing COP > 1.0 in battery-powered systems, and for regauging batteries {25} and charging them with more energy than is furnished by the operator alone (the excess energy comes from free regauging).
· Overunity and self-powering electrical power systems cleanly taking their energy from the local vacuum can be developed any time the U.S. scientific community will permit it and allow it to be funded. The naïve objection of “perpetual motion machines being prohibited because they would be working systems with no energy input” is utter nonsense, as is easily demonstrated {26}. Every windmill, waterwheel, sailboat, and solar cell demonstrates that, if the energy input is continuously and freely received from the environment, continuous external work can freely be done indefinitely. Every motion also demonstrates Newton’s first law: an object placed in a state of motion remains in that state of uniform (perpetual) motion so long as an external force does not intervene to change it. It does not receive any additional energy to do so, nor does it perform any external work in so doing. Even an electrical current in a shorted superconducting circuit will circulate indefinitely (perpetually) without any additional input and without doing any work {27}. Experimental proof of it is part of the standard physics literature.
Outlook and Forecast (the author’s opinion):

· The blame for the terribly fragile and highly vulnerable present power system and power grid monstrosity lies squarely upon the shoulders of the scientific community, since the discovery and proof of broken symmetry in 1957 {28}.
· From our direct experience with several legitimate COP > 1.0 EM systems, we are of the opinion that the scientific community will uphold its present dogma, its present severely limited and flawed electrical engineering model, and its present slavish attachment to fuel cells, big nuclear power plants, hydrocarbon combustion, etc.
· Not only will the present scientific and electrical engineering communities fiddle while Rome burns, but they will help burn it. The only way that will change is for a huge boot to be applied—such as the economic collapse of the United States.
· The scientific community has always been this way, in its fierce resistance to really innovative developments. A few examples are as follows: The scientific community:
o Fiercely resisted ultrawideband radar, slandering and libeling its pioneers.
o Resisted Mayer’s original statement of energy conservation; hounded him so much that he attempted suicide and was institutionalized.
o Laughed and slandered Ovshinsky on his “insane” amorphous semi-conductor. “Everybody knew” a semiconductor had to have a crystalline structure. The Japanese who funded Ovshinsky are still laughing all the way to the bank.
o Made Wegener’s name a synonym for “utter fool” because of his continental drift theory. Why, imagine continents floating and moving! Insane!”
o Refused to accept the Aharonov-Bohm effect for 25 years (as pointed out by Feynman). Prior to the MEG, the AB effect appears never to have been applied for COP > 1.0 from “two-energy reservoir” electrical power systems.
o Uses an EE model that assumes every EM field, EM potential, and joule of EM energy in the universe has been freely created from nothing, by their associated source charges without any energy input. Even very few EE professors are aware of that terrible faux pas of their model. It is not pointed out in any EE textbook, to our knowledge.
o Uses an EE model that assumes the material ether, a flat spacetime, an inert vacuum, and creation from nothing of all EM fields and potentials—all long falsified in physics. These flaws are not pointed out in any EE text or department to our knowledge, and indeed they are hidden from the students.
o Ubiquitously uses the closed current loop circuit in power systems, dooming them to COP < 1.0 and directly causing the present mess of the inadequate, monstrous, fragile, splintered, relatively unstable, and highly vulnerable power grids. This also is directly responsible for the continuing and ever-increasing hydrocarbon combustion, global warming gases, pollution of the planet, and strangling of species.
o Still largely pontificates in official publications that perpetual (uniform) motion is impossible in machines, which is ridiculous since that is merely Newton’s first law. A continuous freely working machine is also possible, so long as it freely receives the necessary energy input from its environment (so long as it operates as a NESS system). Examples are the windmill, waterwheel, and solar cell—and indeed a hydroelectric power system, if one speaks of the entire system including the river’s flow.
o Ridicules anyone who seriously speaks of the active vacuum or active ST curvature as energy reservoirs and environments to be utilized practically—even though all EM power systems and circuits are powered by EM energy extracted directly from the local vacuum by the source charges {22b}.
o Continues to ruthlessly ignore the impact of the long-discarded Heaviside giant nondiverged energy flow component, for both power systems and antigravity systems.
o Places an iron muzzle on “out of the box” innovation by professors, grad students, and young post doctoral scientists, particularly in anything smacking of COP > 1.0 EM power systems. They must compete for available funding attached to research packages that come down from on high, with the research already specified. Any professor who really rocks the boat will be either parked or destroyed, as will any grad student or post doc. Science is controlled by controlling its funding. Since its funding is already controlled, our science is already muzzled and constrained with respect to energy research and development.
· Hence, based on his available scientific advice, a Presidential decision was made to (i) allow updating old power plants without additional pollution controls, (ii) go for drilling wherever oil is to be found, (iii) massively increase the grid and the number of power plants, (iv) go for fuel cells as an intended answer to the transport problem, etc. Given the scientific advice he receives, the President sees no other choice available. That is sad, because the “energy from the vacuum” choice is available, particularly with accelerated development and funding.
· As an example from the standard physics literature, the Bohren-type experiment {23} in “negative resonance absorption of the medium” outputs some 18 times as much energy as one inputs in one’s accounted Poynting energy input. Poynting’s energy flow theory {29} does not account for a huge Heaviside nondiverged energy flow component (30) that is often a trillion times greater than the accounted Poynting component. Lorentz arbitrarily discarded the Heaviside nondiverged component circa the 1890s {31}, and EEs continue to blindly discard it and ignore it {32}.

References:

Stephen L. Patrick, Thomas E. Bearden, James C. Hayes, Kenneth D. Moore, and James L. Kenny, "Motionless Electromagnetic Generator," U.S. Patent # 6,362,718, Mar. 26, 2002.
(a) Y. Aharonov and D. Bohm, “Significance of Electromagnetic Potentials in the Quantum Theory,” Phys. Rev., Second Series, 115(3), 1959, p. 485-491; (b) — “Further considerations on electromagnetic potentials in the quantum theory,” Phys. Rev., 123(4), Aug. 15, 1961, p. 1511-1524. A good technical exposition of the Aharonov-Bohm effect and its topology is given by (c) Terence W. Barrett, "Topological Approaches to Electromagnetism, Part V. Aharonov-Bohm Effect," Modern Nonlinear Optics, Second Edition, Myron W. Evans, Ed., Wiley, New York, 2001, p. 722-733.
(a) M. W. Evans, P. K. Anastasovski, T. E. Bearden et al., "Classical Electrodynamics Without the Lorentz Condition: Extracting Energy from the Vacuum," Physica Scripta 61(5), May 2000, p. 513-517; (b) — "Explanation of the Motionless Electromagnetic Generator with O(3) Electrodynamics," Found. Phys. Lett., 14(1), Feb. 2001, p. 87-94; (c) — "Explanation of the Motionless Electromagnetic Generator by Sachs's Theory of Electrodynamics," Found. Phys. Lett., 14(4), 2001, p. 387-393. See also (d) M. W. Evans, T. E. Bearden, and A. Labounsky, "The Most General Form of the Vector Potential in Electrodynamics," Found. Phys. Lett., 15(3), June 2002, p. 245-261.
(a) T. E. Bearden, "Extracting and Using Electromagnetic Energy from the Active Vacuum," in M. W. Evans (ed.), Modern Nonlinear Optics, Second Edition, 3 vols., Wiley, 2001, Vol. 2, p. 639-698; (b) — "Energy from the Active Vacuum: The Motionless Electromagnetic Generator," in M. W. Evans (Ed.), Modern Nonlinear Optics, Second Edition, 3-vols., Wiley, 2001, Vol. 2, p. 699-776; (c) — Energy from the Vacuum: Concepts and Principles, Cheniere Press, Santa Barbara, CA, 2002, Chapter 7: “Aharonov-Bohm Effect, Geometric Phase, and the Motionless Electromagnetic Generator”.
M. W. Evans, P. K. Anastasovski, T. E. Bearden et al., “Runaway Solutions of the Lehnert Equations: The Possibility of Extracting Energy from the Vacuum,” Optik, 111(9), 2000, p. 407-409.
To see how Maxwell’s equations are conventionally regauged symmetrically, see J. D. Jackson, Classical Electrodynamics, Wylie, New York, Third Edition, 1999, p. 240-246.
For a discussion of asymmetrical regauging, see M. W. Evans, P. K. Anastasovski, T. E. Bearden et al., “Some Notes on ‘Asymmetric Regauging’,” J. New Energy 4(3), Winter 1999, p. 325-326.
For a discussion on symmetrical regauging, see Jackson, 1999, ibid.
T. E. Bearden, “Motionless Electromagnetic Generator: Production of an Additional Energy Reservoir Freely Furnishing Extra EM Energy Input to the System from Its External Environment,” 10 June 2003 (in press).
M. W. Berry, "Quantal phase factors accompanying adiabatic changes," Proc. Roy. Soc. Lond., Vol. A392, 1984, p. 45-57.
Y. Aharonov and J. Anandan, "Phase Change During a Cyclic Quantum Evolution," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 58, 1987, p. 1593-1596.
Richard P. Feynman, Robert B. Leighton, and Matthew Sands, The Feynman Lectures on Physics, Addison-Wesley, Reading, MA, Vol. II, 1964, p. 1-3.
J. D. Jackson, ibid., p. 558.
J. D. Jackson, Classical Electrodynamics, 2nd Edn., Wylie, 1975, p. 223.
M. W. Evans, P. K. Anastasovski, T. E. Bearden et al., “The Aharonov-Bohm Effect as the Basis of Electromagnetic Energy Inherent in the Vacuum,” Found. Phys. Lett. 15(6), Dec. 2002, p. 561-568.
See R. Podolny, Something Called Nothing: Physical Vacuum: What Is It?, Mir Publishers, Moscow, 1986, p. 181. In mass units, the energy density of the virtual particle flux of vacuum is on the order of 1080 grams per cubic centimeter. To express it in joules per cubic centimeter, it is (c2)(1080).
See T. E. Bearden, Fact Sheet: “Supersystem and Engines: Understanding Energetics,” Aug. 25, 2003.
Dilip Kondepudi and Ilya Prigogine, Modern Thermodynamics: From Heat Engines to Dissipative Structures, Wiley, New York, 1998, reprinted with corrections 1999, p. 459. On the same page, several areas that are known to violate present thermodynamics are given.
William C. Reynolds, Thermodynamics, 2nd Edn., McGraw-Hill, New York, 1968, p. 250-252 gives an analysis of the Carnot heat pump.
See Robert H. Romer, "Heat is not a noun," Am. J. Phys., 69(2), Feb. 2001, p. 107-109. Heat is not a substance, not a thermodynamic function of state, and should not be used as a noun, unless one risks falling into error. AJP Editor Romer also exposes another serious EM error: In endnote 24, p. 109, he takes to task "…that dreadful diagram purporting to show the electric and magnetic fields of a plane wave, as a function of position (and/or time?) that besmirch the pages of almost every introductory book. …it is a horrible diagram. 'Misleading' would be too kind a word; 'wrong' is more accurate." "…perhaps then, for historical interest, [we should] find out how that diagram came to contaminate our literature in the first place." As the reader can see, many physics professors and journal editors are quite aware of numerous foundations errors in present science.
Kondepudi and Prigogine, ibid.
(a) See particularly D. J. Evans and Lamberto Rondoni, "Comments on the Entropy of Nonequilibrium Steady States," J. Stat. Phys., 109(3-4), Nov. 2002, p. 895-920. In theory a proper NESS system can produce continuous negative entropy. Evans and Rondoni were so shocked at their own theoretical results, that they felt no physical system could exhibit such a negative entropy, continually decreasing toward negative infinity as time passes. However, every charge does this already; see (b) T. E. Bearden, Fact Sheet, “The Source Charge Problem: Its Solution and Implications,” Aug. 18, 2003; (c) — Fact Sheet, “Leyton’s Hierarchies of Symmetry: Solution to the Major Asymmetry Problem of Thermodynamics,” Aug. 22, 2003. The MEG as a NESS system appears to be a prototype macroscopic power system that exhibits such permissible continuous production of negative entropy.
(a) Craig F. Bohren, "How can a particle absorb more than the light incident on it?" Am. J. Phys., 51(4), Apr. 1983, p. 323-327. Under nonlinear conditions, a particle can absorb more energy than is in the light incident on it. Metallic particles at ultraviolet frequencies are one class of such particles and insulating particles at infrared frequencies are another. See also
(a) H. Paul and R. Fischer, {Comment on “How can a particle absorb more than the light incident on it?’},” Am. J. Phys., 51(4), Apr. 1983, p. 327. The Bohren experiment is repeatable and produces COP = 18.
See T. E. Bearden, "Bedini's Method For Forming Negative Resistors In Batteries," Proc. Cong. 2000, St. Petersburg, Russia, Vol. 1, July 2000, p. 24-38. Also published in J. New Energy, 5(1), Summer 2000, p. 24-38. Also carried on restricted DoE website http://www.ott.doe.gov/electromagnetic/ and on The Tom Bearden Website (http://www.cheniere.org) (The Tom Bearden Website (http://www.cheniere.org/)).
(a) John C. Bedini, “Device and Method for Pulse Charging a Battery and for Driving other Devices with a Pulse,” U. S. Patent #2003/0117111 A1, June 26, 2003. For another legitimate overunity Bedini process, see (b) John C. Bedini, “Device and Method of a Back EMF Permanent Electromagnetic Motor Generator,” U.S. Patent # 6,392,370, May 21, 2002.
See Fact Sheet, T. E. Bearden, “Perpetual motion vs. ‘Perpetual Working Machines Creating Energy from Nothing’,” Aug. 21, 2003 for a rigorous discussion of perpetual motion (which is just Newton’s First Law), and how it differs from purported machines that create energy from nothing. Oddly, the greatest—though totally unwitting—proponents of energy creation from nothing, in all human history, are the electrical engineering departments, professors, textbooks, and engineers. Their standard electromagnetics model assumes that all EM fields and potentials and their energy are freely created out of nothing, by the associated source charges without any energy input at all. So they unwittingly assume that every joule of EM energy in the universe has been and is created from nothing. This is the unwitting ansatz that has given us COP < 1.0 standard electrical power systems, horrid pollution of the biosphere and strangling of species, accelerated global warming, and a far more poisonous and hostile environment in which to live. And, to the delight of many of the energy cartels, it is also what has kept the electrical power meter on our homes and offices and industry, and has kept the gas pump meter on the gas pumps for our automobiles and transport. One must keep one’s sense of humor! By failing to update and extend their grossly inadequate electrical engineering model, our scientific community is directly contributing to the decimation of the planet and the future collapse of the industrialized national economies.
Decay time for a current flowing in a closed superconducting loop has been experimentally shown to be greater than 105 years, and theoretically shown to be greater than 1040,000,000 years.
(a) T. D. Lee, "Question of Parity Conservation in Weak Interactions," Physical Review, 104(1), Oct. 1, 1956, p. 254-259. Errata in Phys. Rev. 106(6), June 15, 1957, p. 1371; (b) T. D. Lee, Reinhard Oehme, and C. N. Yang, "Remarks on Possible Noninvariance under Time Reversal and Charge Conjugation," Phys. Rev., 106(2), 1957, p. 340-345. Experimental proof was given by Wu and her colleagues in (c) C. S. Wu, E. Ambler, R. W. Hayward, D. D. Hoppes and R. P. Hudson, "Experimental Test of Parity Conservation in Beta Decay," Phys. Rev., Vol. 105, 1957, p. 1413. So revolutionary was this discovery that the Nobel Committee with unprecedented speed awarded Lee and Yang the Nobel Prize in December 1957—the same year that Wu et al. experimentally proved the prediction by Lee and Yang.
(a) J. H. Poynting, “On the transfer of energy in the electromagnetic field,” Phil. Trans Roy. Soc. Lond., Vol. 175, 1884, p. 343-361; (b) J. H. Poynting, "On the Connection Between Electric Current and the Electric and Magnetic Inductions in the Surrounding Field," Phil. Trans. Roy. Soc. Lond., Vol. 176, 1885, p. 277-306.
(a) Oliver Heaviside, "Electromagnetic Induction and Its Propagation," The Electrician, 1885, 1886, 1887, and later. A series of 47 sections, published section by section in numerous issues of The Electrician during 1885, 1886, and 1887; (b) — "On the Forces, Stresses, and Fluxes of Energy in the Electromagnetic Field," Phil. Trans. Roy. Soc. Lond., 183A, 1893, p. 423-480. Also, particularly see (c) E. R. Laithwaite, “Oliver Heaviside – establishment shaker,” Electrical Review, 211(16), Nov. 12, 1982, p. 44-45.
H. A. Lorentz, Vorlesungen über Theoretische Physik an der Universität Leiden, Vol. V, Die Maxwellsche Theorie (1900-1902), Akademische Verlagsgesellschaft M.B.H., Leipzig, 1931, "Die Energie im elektromagnetischen Feld," p. 179-186. Figure 25 on p. 185 shows the Lorentz concept of integrating the Poynting vector around a closed cylindrical surface surrounding a volumetric element. This procedure arbitrarily selects only a small component of the energy flow associated with a circuit—specifically, the small Poynting component being diverged into the circuit to power it—and then treats that tiny component as the "entire" energy flow. Thereby Lorentz arbitrarily discarded the huge Heaviside circuital energy transport component that is usually not diverged into the circuit conductors at all, does not interact with anything locally, and is just wasted.
We address this Heaviside extra energy flow phenomenon—and many others—in our book, Energy from the Vacuum: Concepts and Principles, ibid., 2002. When the Heaviside component is accounted, every generator and power source ever built already outputs enormously more energy than is accounted by the mechanical shaft energy input to the generator, or by the chemical energy dissipated by the battery. Accounting its total energy output as an energy transducer of virtual vacuum energy into observable energy, every power source exhibits COP>>1.0. The Heaviside component usually has little or no effect because it is in vector curl form, and the divergence of the curl is zero—in a flat spacetime. The usual power application is in an approximately flat spacetime, so the Heaviside curled flow component is of little physical significance (using Lorentz’s original argument). However, by deliberately curving the local spacetime (e.g., as in Bohren’s experiment and in the negative resonance absorption of the medium), the divergence of the curl is not zero, and additional energy is freely collected from the neglected Heaviside component. Bohren’s straightforward experiment yields COP = 18. The simple funding of a few doctoral theses and post-doctoral physics projects in this area for three years or so would very quickly solve the energy crisis forever, very cheaply. All EM power systems already exhibit COP >>1.0, if their arbitrarily discarded Heaviside energy flow component is accounted and if it were deliberately used as an extra huge environmental energy reservoir from which copious extra EM energy were freely extracted.
E.g., if a present coal-burning plant were modified with a Bohren-process so that it “amplified” the heat input of the combustion process by a factor of 10, then only 10% of the present coal would have to be burned in that modified plant to produce its same electrical power output. The beneficial impact on the environment would be incalculable, and with less coal burned, additional pollution-reducing methods could be afforded and applied. No one in DoE, any other federal agency, the National Academy of Sciences, the National Science Foundation, DARPA, the national laboratories, or our universities has even considered it—or apparently even thought of it.

:wink:

The important bit for anyone who missed it.

Thus there is a century-old error in the present First Law of thermodynamics: Any change of magnitude of an external parameter (such as the field or potential of a system) has been erroneously defined as work. It is not work if the extra energy is input in the same form. In that case it is asymmetric regauging, and involves only energy transfer without change of form, which requires no work. Regauging is free, by the gauge freedom axiom. The present form of the First Law would rule out gauge freedom—a fact which seems not to have been previously noticed.

Dunno so much about that first law of thermodynamics! :wink:

simonl
24th September 2013, 07:39 AM
But the electron's behavior seems to be that it is everywhere around the atom at the same time (electron shell), or has a "virtual velocity" of infinity?. :?

"seems to be" is the important thing here. We can never know the exact location of an electron and any point in time. The Hysenberg Uncertainty principle see's to that. Hence the "area" that the electron can move around in is called a probability density function. This area (or volume) represents the probability of finding the electron at a given time in a given energy state.

Remember, We cannot apply Newtonian Mechanics to particles the size of electrons. Newtonian Mechanics fails at that level. Same same when you approach speeds similar to that of light. For small particles we need to use Quantum Mechanics and at high speeds (approaching C) we need to use special relativity. Newtonian Mechanics is a special condition of Quantum Mechanics that only applies with larger particles, cars, people, tennis balls, etc.

Simon

Michael G
24th September 2013, 08:04 AM
First law of thermodynamics -
The change in the internal energy of a closed system is equal to the amount of heat supplied to the system, minus the amount of work derived from the system.
Or putting it another way, the amount of energy in a system is equal to the energy in less the energy (work) taken out.

However, the patent application for this device says -
BACKGROUND INFORMATION

1. Field of Invention

This invention relates to a magnetic generator used to produce electrical power without moving parts, and, more particularly, to such a device having a capability, when operating, of producing electrical power without an external application of input power through input coils.

Which looks to violate this law. As it has been over 10 years since the device was patented and none have appeared commercially, I would suggest that it doesn't actually work.

Michael

Uncle Al
24th September 2013, 08:42 AM
Wow, all this info because a bloke was changing the batteries on his transistor radio.
Appreciate the comments about Eneloop batteries, and appreciate all the wisdom and effort put into the replies. Way over my head, as long as all those electrons and things keep doing what they are supposed to do, I'm a happy (tho a bit ignorant) chappy.

Love this forum.

Alan...

Stustoys
24th September 2013, 11:20 AM
Instantaneously.

All the free electrons are evenly distributed in a conductor and move simultaneously in the conductor under the influence of the applied voltage at the same time.

I'm having trouble with the above.

Do you mean

effectively instantaneously
and effectively simultaneously?

I spent an hour googling and then found I had missed some posts last night :(

Stuart

BobL
24th September 2013, 12:42 PM
All the free electrons are evenly distributed in a conductor and move simultaneously in the conductor under the influence of the applied voltage at the same time.

I'm having trouble with the above.

Which Part ?
The "free electrons being evenly distributed in a conductor" or "that they move simultaneously in the conductor under the influence of" the applied voltage" ?

I just realized that "at the same time" is repeating myself.

Stustoys
24th September 2013, 03:01 PM
Which Part ?
I'm not sure I understand well enough to even ask a sensible question let alone understand the answer. But I'll give it a go with another example.

In post 23 you say
That's because the applied voltage travels at the speed of electromagnetic radiation (EM) in the medium. DC and AC EM speeds in copper are nearly as fast as light speed of light in a vacuum so the voltage is sensed effectively instantaneously across the entire circuit so ALL the free electrons in the circuit start flowing at the same time.

I'm guess I am just questioning your use of the terms "effectively instantaneously" v "the same time" and "Instantaneously"(in post 25).

While I might be reading to much into your wording. I dont want it to look like I'm playing word games, just trying to make sure I'm not missing something. "effectively instantaneously" I get. "effectively the same time" I would get, "the same time" upsets me because then I dont have a clue lol (not that that would be a first)

"the same time" sounds a little like "exactly right" ;)

Stuart

neksmerj
24th September 2013, 03:35 PM
Struth this post went everywhere, however, I can report that with 2 hours in the Energizer charger, I got 45 more hours out of the four AA batteries.

The volume from the tranny was strong right up until battery fade.

Just as a joke, I've put the flat batteries back in the charger to see what happens.

Will post the outcome in a couple of days, or sooner if they explode.............

Ken

Ueee
24th September 2013, 03:56 PM
I'm with you Stuart, I find the term instantaneously hard to swallow.

Apparently when a photon leaves the surface of the sun it does not accelerate to the speed of light, but in the instant it leaves the sun it does the speed if light. Even if it took .01 milliseconds to accelerate I could cope with that. But instantly?
I have bigger problems though, like a wife who believes light is instant and doesn't travel at a speed......:no:

It's amazing where threads can go Ken, I can say I have learnt a lot from Bob and Simon in the last 24hours.

Cheers,
Ew

Stustoys
24th September 2013, 04:17 PM
Struth this post went everywhere,
In a lame attempt to be OT, The only thing I remember about steptoe and son is them putting batteries in the oven.

Apparently when a photon leaves the surface of the sun it does not accelerate to the speed of light, but in the instant it leaves the sun it does the speed if light. Even if it took .01 milliseconds to accelerate I could cope with that. But instantly?

Talking about fast acceleration. how about 20000G?
The fastest living thing on the planet. [VIDEO] (http://www.wimp.com/livingthing/)
Though some say I'm talking it :D

Stuart

BobL
24th September 2013, 05:49 PM
I'm with you Stuart, I find the term instantaneously hard to swallow.

It's easier to understand that photons can instantaneously move at the speed of light because photons are "light".

The term "photon" is just a verbal and particle working representation of light or more specifically "electromagnetic radiation".

Maybe it helps to think of light as a wave cause by the vibration of electrical charged objects like antennae, molecules, atoms, electrons and nuclei.

The physical phenomena that make electromagnetic radiation don't need to make and then accelerate the "light", just they vibrate in some way or other emitting light which of course travels at the speed of light

Closer to home, how fast do you think the infra-red electromagnetic radiation emitted from your skin travels? Yes its the speed of light.

One thing that's really missing from science classes in school is the sources of EM. Knowing how all this radiation is made might help de-confuse all this stuff

Timless Timber
24th September 2013, 06:08 PM
Yes Indeed ken - sorry for the derail. :B

As long as we are on about the "speed of light" - what would be "the speed of dark"?

My old mate "Leonid" (Lebedev) er this fella... Univirtual » Webdocente 2 (http://www.docentes.unal.edu.co/llebedev/) once postulated his now famous "dark sucker" theorem!.

For years the electrical utility companies have led the public to believe they were in business to supply electricity to the consumer, a service for which they charge a substantial rate. The recent accidental acquisition of secret records from a well known power company has led to a massive research campaign which positively explodes several myths and exposes the massive hoax which has been perpetrated upon the public by the power companies.
The most common hoax promoted the false concept that light bulbs emitted light; in actuality, these ‘light’ bulbs actually absorb DARK matter (missing mass) of space in energy form, which is then transported back to the power generation stations, via wire networks.
A more descriptive name has now been coined; the new scientific name for the device is DARKSUCKER.

This is a brief synopsis of the darksucker theory, which proves the existence of dark and establishes the fact that dark has great mass, and further, that dark particle (the anti-photon) is the fastest known particle in the universe. Apparently, even the celebrated Dr. Albert Einstein did not suspect the truth that just as COLD is the absence of HEAT, then LIGHT is actually the absence of DARK. Scientists have now proven that light does not really exist.

The basis of the darksucker theory is that electric light bulbs suck dark. Take for example, the darksuckers in the room where you are right now. There is much less dark right next to the darksuckers than there is elsewhere, demonstrating their limited range. The larger the darksucker, the greater its capacity to suck dark. Darksuckers in a parking lot or on a football field have a much greater capacity than the ones in used in the home, for example.

It may come as a surprise to learn that darksuckers also operate on a celestial scale; witness the Sun. Our Sun makes use of dense dark, sucking it in from all the planets and intervening dark space. Naturally, the Sun is better able to suck dark from the planets which are situated closer to it, thus explaining why those planets appear brighter than do those which are far distant from the Sun. Occasionally, the Sun actually over-sucks; under those conditions, dark spots appear on the surface of the Sun. Scientists have long studied these ‘spots’ and are only recently beginning to realise that the dark spots represent leaks of high pressure dark because the Sun has over-sucked dark to such an extent that some dark actually leaks back into space. This leakage of high pressure dark frequently causes problems with radio communications here on Earth due to collisions between the dark particles as they stream out into space at high velocity via the black holes in the surface of the Sun. In fact black holes are just the reverse side of a giant sun - you perceive all the light going in one side and all the dark flowing out the other side!.

As with all man-made devices, darksuckers have a finite lifetime caused by the fact that they are not 100% efficient at transmitting collected dark energy back to the power company via the wires from your home, causing dark to build up (amass) slowly within the device. Once they are full of accumulated dark matter energy, they can no longer suck. This condition can be observed by looking for the black spot on a full darksucker when it has reached maximum capacity of un-transmitted dark ... you have surely noticed that dark completely surrounds a full darksucker because it no longer has the capacity to suck any dark at all.

A candle is a primitive darksucker. A new candle has a white wick. You will notice that after the first use the wick turns black, representing all the dark which has been sucked into it. If you hold a pencil next to the wick of an operating candle, the tip will turn black because it got in the way of the dark flowing into the candle. And it is of no use to plug a candle into an electrical outlet; it can only collect dark ... being primitive it has no transmission capabilities. Unfortunately, these original darksuckers have a very limited range and are hazardous to operate because of the intense heat produced.

There are also portable darksuckers called flashlights. The bulbs in these devices collect dark which is passed to a dark storage unit called a battery. When the dark storage unit is full, it must be either emptied (a process called ‘recharging’) or replaced before the portable darksucker can continue to operate. If you break open a battery, you will find dense black dark matter inside, evidence that it is actually a compact dark storage unit. The leading cause of global warming is the disposal of full dark suckers in landfills - when the glass breaks the dark space energy (missing mass in the universe) escapes in the form of heat - thus causing global warming.

Just what is the speed of dark, and further, does it equal the speed of light? :? (And what is the speed of light?... is it REALLY 3 x 10^8 meters per second (186,000miles per second) OR is it in fact infinite?

Any 14 year old kid will tell you... that the square root of 4 is both +ve 2 & -ve 2 because any negative integer when squared yields a positive result.

Someone apparently forgot to tell this mathematical fact to Albert Einstein... when he devised e=mc^2 where C is the speed of light!

How is it that photon of light A - can be traveling WEST (+ve) at 3 x 10^8meters per second and also EAST (-ve) at 3 x 10^8 meters per second AT THE SAME TIME & yet satisfy the equation e=mc^2 ? :?

That is clearly paradoxical. (yet it satisfies e=mc^2)

The result of any hypothesis based on a false premise will always be a paradoxical outcome.

Lets look at a simple false premise hypothesis resulting in a paradoxical outcome:-

Premise 1 "All dogs have 4 legs"

Premise 2 "All 4 legged animals are Cats"

Therefore I hypothesize that:-

All Cats are Dogs

And

All Dogs are Cats!

sheer genius! :rolleyes: :wink:

In Einsteins speed of light based, "special theory of relativity" e=mc^2.... based on the flawed Mitchellson - Morley linear light speed experiment results, - the resulting hypothesis, was likewise flawed and yielded a paradoxical outcome.

This particular paradox was called "the twin paradox". Twin paradox - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twin_paradox)

There is only 1 possible speed of light that will satisfy e=mc^2 mathematically - and that is infinity! Infinity squared is infinity, (no messy square root of squares Maxwells equations required to yield a correct outcome)!.

So if the speed of light must be infinite, why not likewise the speed of dark? :?

:)

DavidG
24th September 2013, 06:27 PM
I am looking for the big spoon emoticon.

Can't find one. :doh:

RayG
24th September 2013, 06:36 PM
Well if there was experimental evidence that the speed of light was infinite, there are several thousand scientists where I am right now ( CERN ) that would be jumping for joy, and rehearsing their nobel prize acceptance speeches..

E=mc^2 has been proven experimentally over and over..

This afternoon we are going underground to tour the ATLAS detector, a truly amazing bit of engineering.

Regards
Ray

Timless Timber
24th September 2013, 08:04 PM
Yes - e=mc^2 works well enough for near earth space, for all intents and purposes! :2tsup:

However that doesn't make it "right"! Had Mitchellson Morley not had a experimental design flaw in their linear light speed experiment, in all likelihood Einstein - might well have used his fine structure constant ALPHA (value 1/137) (from his nobel prize winning photoelectric effects paper - his relativity paper was never peer reviewed before publishing) instead of C (erroneous speed of light) constant - in deriving his relativity theory. :oo:

And whats the significance of Alpha? (1/137)?

Look back at one of my earlier reply's to this thread! :wink:

Time on an atom passes much faster than time at the earth level does.Why is it that in the "time zone" of the nucleus of an atom, "time" seems to "slow down" so that the "measured velocity" of the electron appears to be only 1/137th the speed of light? But the electron's behavior seems to be that it is everywhere around the atom at the same time (electron shell), or has a "virtual velocity" of infinity?.

The physical constant alpha turns out to be equal to 1/137.

(Insert light bulb emoticon here). :D

Had Mitchellson Morley not messed up with their linear light speed experimental design, (be reflecting the light beams back upon themselves from 100%silvered mirrors before returning them to the interferometer) & had not Einstein fallen for it, - and instead used Alpha in his 21 equation Maxwellian derivation of relativity e=mc^2....

He WOULD most likely have discovered his long sought GUT (grand unification theorem) and we wouldn't STILL have such difficulty NOW with electrons not quite behaving as we might expect... :wink: (i.e "electron shells", and Photons propagating across inertial space as a waveform, i.e. traveling paradoxically east and west at the same time). :rolleyes:

The answers here... most just can't see it is all!.
Just as most don't recognize heat as the absence of cold & vice versa... or dark being the opposite of light and so on!.
See - there's method to my madness. :wink:

Unless you go back to the fundamental building block principles of physics, and correct the earlier mistakes (like MM's experimental design flaw in their linear light speed experiment) - everything else later built upon it's foundation, can then come crumbling down like a wall structural collapse!.

The original physics needs to be constructed upon a sound foundation.

e=mc^2 is a wall OK and seems to work well enough for most purposes, just don't go marching around and around it repeatedly blowing a trumpet loudly is all. :D

But - the experimental design flaw of MM's linear light speed experiment is another topic, best suited for another day and place perhaps.:)

Steamwhisperer
24th September 2013, 08:37 PM
My head hurts

DavidG
24th September 2013, 08:41 PM
This thread is way off topic.

Please quit the ramblings and
return to something remotely like the topic
before I have to shut it and do some cleaning
up of the bovine fecal matter. :~

simonl
24th September 2013, 08:50 PM
If the sun really is a dark Sucker then it fails to explain the fine structure in the spectrum of sunlight.

Whilst Albert Einstein was arguably a genius theoretical physicist, he was weak at mathematics. You will find that his (second) wife (a mathematician) did most of his mathematics for him.

Why does a photon of light need to be travelling in 2 directions at the same time to satisfy any of Einsteins theories? Clearly it can't.

I was always under the impression the the equation E = mc2 was an approximation to the energy yielded in the release of nuclear binding energy from an atom.

Speed of light (in a vacuum) is no longer an hypotheses. It has been proven. Same same with length dilation/time contraction.

The twin paradox is a paradox because it messes with your mind. Your mind can only cope with 3 maybe 4 dimensions (if you include time) it's no fault of the special theory of relativity if your mind can't cope!

Next you will tell me that the mass of an object does not increase as it approaches the speed of light? it increases and becomes infinite at the speed of light. I say in fact because this too has been proven. Yes, photons have mass too. But the rest mass of a photon is zero. ie photons only exist while they are moving, once they stop (after a collision for example) they cease to exist and their energy is transfered into the system to conserve energy.

Also, as I stated in a previous post. Forget about trying to approach Relativity (speeds approaching C) or Quantum (small objects) by the use of your knowledge of newtonian Mechanics. It will not work.

If you want to really mess with your head, study up on the Hysenberg Uncertainty Principle. Even Einstein could not cope with it. "I refuse to believe that god plays dice with the universe" I think were his words when he read about it. All since been proven. Schrodinger also did some amazing theoretical experiments. Read about his theoretical cat experiment: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schrödinger's_catif you can be bothered. It explains the perils of trying to explain these theories with "conventional" thinking.

One that always did my head in: Quantum tunnelling - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_tunnelling) yet this theory has not only been proven but has been used in practical applications in semi conductors & superconductivity. Yet, in the "real world" that we know of, it would be impossible as the particle would have negative energy whilst travelling through the barrier.
It's a jungle out there! :o

Cheers,

Simon

simonl
24th September 2013, 08:52 PM
Oops. one last rambling!

Simon

RayG
25th September 2013, 12:04 AM
Oops. one last rambling!

Simon

Yes one last rambling from me too :)

Timeless, you are obviously quite passionate and interested in physics, me too, I love learning about this stuff.

But some of the questions you raise are best answered by others better qualified than me, and probably there are better forums for that this is not the best place for that discussion.

Regards
Ray