PDA

View Full Version : castable refractory

texx
22nd September 2013, 04:37 PM
just wondering if anyone knows of some where in toowoomba ( closest big town to me ) that sells castable refractory , i have searched every avenue i can think of a not found anyone .
i have short listed a few places to ring in brisbane , just means i will have to get it sent by courier .
i did buy some blanket and some fireclay and some bentonite , but after more reading i figure if i am building this furnace i may aswell make to take as much heat as i can just in case .
i have the outer shell built and i have made the lpg burner hooked up to a adjustable reg from a welding supply , burner seems to work quite well , it roars nicely anyway .
also would'nt mind getting hold of some petrobond to if i can .

johno.
oh yeah the blanket i bought is the "superwool plus "

oohsam
25th February 2014, 12:25 PM
Hey Mate,
I went down this path.
I found the single one place that mines refactory, and went to talk to them.
They were closing up shop in a few weeks and told me they stopped mining refactory years ago and Fireclay is impossible to get in Australia.
He said there is no need to use it for a furnace.

I have been making two small furnaces out of old LPG bottles. Spoke to a foundry guy and he said dont use fire clay, just use dura blanket. It sounds like you have some already. It is a great material and works a treat.

tea lady
25th February 2014, 12:36 PM
You use to be able to get castable refractory from fire place places. May also be able to get it from pottery kiln places.

Fire clay was mined in Hallam. Which now has a housing development on top of it. Clay works in Dandenong got a huge pile of it out before it was built over. and a few potters around the place got a little pile for personal use.

texx
25th February 2014, 12:44 PM
look out i got 2 replies to the post i made last september . thanks anyway guys .

johno