PDA

View Full Version : Bench top jointer purchase

Peter G
25th May 2005, 04:46 PM
Due to area restrictions I would like to purchse a bench top jointer. While it would not be my first choice I will only be doing small work with it. Any comments on the pros and cons and which make will at least last for a while.
Regards
Peter G

soundman
25th May 2005, 10:08 PM
I've considerd one for the same reasons.
Looks like there are realy only two options.
The carbatec one & the timbecon one.
both look the same as each other except the timbecon one has a lamb chop type guard wich I think I prefer.
Both will be very short in the bed, but hey you could store em in a kitchen cupboard.
cheers

AlexS
25th May 2005, 11:03 PM
I have a Delta 6" one that I bought from Carbatec a few years ago. While I now have a larger jointer/thicknesser, the bench top jobbie still gets used quite a bit.

Pros: Convenient, quieter than the big one, very handy for small box-sized pieces, takes up less room, variable speed is good, capable of very fine adjustment..

Cons: Short, aluminium table is soft & wears easily, dust extraction needs a bit of faffing around, aluminium fence is a POS.

It has a lamb chop guard,which I think I prefer. Early on, it blew a capacitor and was repaired under warranty with no further problems.

Hope this helps.

silkwood
25th May 2005, 11:05 PM
I have to admit I'm not keen on bench top models, but can see the attraction. However I very much dislike "lamb-chop" safety covers, as I feel they aren't (safe that is). When you finish a pass with your work this type of cover can (usually does) leave the blades exposed. The "European" type guard takes a bit of time to get used to but is remarkably easy after that and, I feel, gives a greater degree of safety.

Cheers,

Samson13
26th May 2005, 09:46 AM
I've got the Carbatec benchtop one, also because of space restrictions. OK for everything I've done so far but haven't used it on any timber over 1 metre long yet. I can see that there would be problems to easily joint longer lengths. I don't really like the guard, seems a bit tinny, but has held up OK. I can't do anything about the space, so as a compromise, I'd rather have the benchtop model than not have a jointer at all. It looks like the Timbecon one is very similar except for the guard & maybe the price.

nic
26th May 2005, 10:02 AM
Due to area restrictions I would like to purchse a bench top jointer. While it would not be my first choice I will only be doing small work with it. Any comments on the pros and cons and which make will at least last for a while.
Regards
Peter G

Might not apply to you but jointing anything longer than about 2 or 3 times the infeed table length and it becomes an art !!
The benchtops have really short tables.

nic

Peter G
27th May 2005, 10:59 AM
Thanks for your imput gents. weighing up the info I think for the present I will continue to do my jointing on the router table as I have been doing and rethink the situation.Regards
Peter G