PDA

View Full Version : Myrtle winged square bowl

bassmansimon
25th September 2013, 02:22 PM
Sorry about the poor quality photos - I forgot to photograph it before giving this one away as a present, so had to resort to phone photography.

I made this from a square piece of Myrtle I picked up from Island Specialty Timbers while I was on holidays in Tasmania a few months ago. I have done square platters in the past, where the tips of the square end up being the highest point of the piece, but for this I wanted to see if I could try something different, and fold the piece back on itself, so that the corners are pointing down rather than up. I am pretty pleased with the result, and I think it helps show off the grain better ear the corners.

Finished by sanding to 800, then UBeaut EEE, then Shellawax Glow.

Comments and Critique very welcome. Simon.
http://oi43.tinypic.com/maxw6a.jpg

Bluegum
25th September 2013, 02:49 PM
Very nice Simon, I like what you have done :2tsup:

Scott
25th September 2013, 07:16 PM
Sweet shape Simon. I can't help think the thickness of the wings and edges could of been the same, it would of been a bit more pleasing to the eye. Otherwise beautiful bowl, you've make great use of the timber.

bassmansimon
25th September 2013, 07:23 PM
Thanks for the feedback Scott. One of the problems I found was that I needed to do a significant amount of power sanding with the lathe turned off in order to get it smooth. This no doubt contributed to uneven wall thickness at the four tips :(

chuck1
25th September 2013, 07:56 PM
looks great! have you tried gluing bits on so it's round for turning and sanding? makes it easier to turn but a longer process to cut the sacrificial bits off.

smiife
25th September 2013, 08:57 PM
hi simon,
very nice bowl,i like it :cool:
and some good advice from chuckie:2tsup:
i might try that myself
cheers smiife:2tsup:

bassmansimon
25th September 2013, 09:21 PM
looks great! have you tried gluing bits on so it's round for turning and sanding? makes it easier to turn but a longer process to cut the sacrificial bits off.

I have heard of people doing this but no I haven't tried it

MAPLEMAN
25th September 2013, 10:18 PM
Lovely shape,and great choice of timber (i love myrtle)...well done:2tsup:..MM

artme
26th September 2013, 10:19 AM
I'll pay that Simon!!! Very nice indeed