PDA

View Full Version : Triton TRA001 vs Makita 3612. Preferences?

ReP0
25th May 2005, 11:37 PM
Makita make 2 variants of the 3612 ie 3612(single speed) and the 3612C (variable speed).

Given the choice in what order would you rate the 3 models below as being the best choice and why?. How is the reliability of the Triton and the ease of getting accessories for it etc?

Triton TRA001

Makita 3612

Makita 3612C

Anyone have a good store where I can get good prices on any of the units or is Bunnings the best I can do?

My use at the moment is to cut out speaker holes for a set of enclosures I'm building but who knows what else I'll use it for once I get started :).

Thanks!
Edit: Foolishly I ignored the triton while in bunnings until I got home and did a bit of reading. Anyone know what it's going for currently?

johnc
25th May 2005, 11:54 PM
If you do a search there is plenty on this topic. The Triton is great as a table mounted unit but I believe heavy used freehand but I've never used one so can't compare. I have the 3612 which is 2-1/2 hp and one speed, bought really for freehand use it is quite adequate for that. With hindsight I perhaps should have gone the 3612C with variable control, not sure if the extra 1h.p. would mean that much for the work I would put it to but as I'm just setting up a table at long last the C would have been best for that. Price was a factor in the purchase and there is a big jump between the two machines and it was difficult to justify the difference at the time.

Shop around you can do better than Bunnings, look for a dealer carrying large volumnes of Makita, they will have better buying power and from time to time match it with very good pricing.

JohnC

TrevorOwen
25th May 2005, 11:58 PM
RePo

I am not speaking from experience but the Triton is on my shopping list. At present the price is $399 at Bunnys in Adelaide and advertised at $385 at Just Tools in Melbourne.
I am sure that purchasing a router is like anything, personal choice, however I already have the Triton Router Table ready to go and posts to this forum seem to give overwhelming support to the Triton as a fixed in table router because of the ease of changing bits from above the table, adjusting height and the machines power. I will be corrected if I am wrong but I think it comes with an accessory which allows cutting a circle.

Regards from Adelaide
Trevor

johnc
26th May 2005, 12:10 AM
If the Triton is $385 then on price and features it stacks up very well against the 3612C and if its table mount you want would be hard to beat.

JohnC

Harry72
26th May 2005, 01:31 AM
The triton does have it on the 3612c, but remember the triton is only a year or two old in design and the mak is a 5yr+ old design... would you compare a VS commodore to a VZ?

Another thing to, you can change your bits above the table on the mak... dont make the table top from thick wood, my table top is 3mm steel plate it stays perfectly flat and I can change the bit above the table easily.

Gumby
26th May 2005, 10:10 AM
For table mounting, the Triton is unbeatable. I have a cheap $40 router for the occassional hand held use I need. I've used the Triton hand held and it is a big bugger but very powerful.

martink
26th May 2005, 10:23 AM
For table mounting, the Triton is unbeatable. I have a cheap $40 router for the occassional hand held use I need. I've used the Triton hand held and it is a big bugger but very powerful.
I agree, I use the triton router for my router table and have a bosch one for hand held. The triton is very powerful but also very very heavy. In the router table it never says die, even when using BIG cutting bits. One feature that makes it perfect for use with a table is that you can extend the collet (the thing that holds the bit) up above the table. Makes changing of bits a snap!

mat
26th May 2005, 02:05 PM
I have the triton and a 3612. As stated a number of times and this is of critical importance the triton is a great router for router tables - one handed bit release (auto collet lock) and the collet extends way past the base for bit changes above the table, soft start and variable speed. I got mine recently for $326 bunnies beat gaswelds $363 by 10%
BUT the big drawback is its high centre of gravity when working freehand
The 3612 works well but doesnt have a soft start - keep a firm hold as you start it up. Well weighted for hand use. The 3612C is good but pricey.

mat
26th May 2005, 02:11 PM
You only need the variable speed for large bits and table use and for this the triton is better and cheaper. For the price of a 3612C you could buy a triton and a second router for hand held use. No mucking around getting the router out of the table etc.
Therefore, if table use is not required in the near future buy a single speed router that works well hand held. The 3612 is good as is the Hitachi TR12 both can be had for around $300 if you shop around.

Ads Mac
26th May 2005, 02:59 PM
I can't really offer a comparision, but I have recently purchased a Triton (and table top) and couldn't be happier.

In table mode it is easy to set/adjust and accurate. large cuts and bits do not have much of an effect.

Installing the router into the table top is a breeze (as you would expect Triton gear into Triton acces should be).

I have used the router "Handheld" (with a guide attached) and found it easy to use.

I have not used the router handheld to route edges, etc.

silentC
26th May 2005, 03:14 PM
5yr+ old design
I bought my first one in 1983 ;)

I have the 3612C but before they came with the variable speed. For all round use, I reckon it's the best. When I buy another one, I'll probably buy the Triton to hang from the table and keep the Makita for hand held work. If the Makita packs it in, I'd buy another one, but probably go for the variable speed job.

mat
26th May 2005, 03:19 PM
Silent
Why would you buy a variable speed for an additional $200 over the straight 3612 if you had a triton in the table?

silentC
26th May 2005, 03:27 PM
Just because it is the current version of the one I have now. I have the 3612C, not the 3612 - it just doesn't have the variable speed.

Wallace
26th May 2005, 03:35 PM
Hi guys
Having had a Triton router for 18 mths I have to agree with all that goes before - great for table use. I have used it a few times with template guides - great job and the soft start is a definate plus.

However for hand held stuff, edge work and dovetail jig I still go back to my old single speed Hitachi TR12 - with no soft start (it kicks like a mule by comparison to the triton on start up)
Even though the triton router comes out and back on the table easily enough - it is almost never removed - the Triton is a great all rounder though.

All the best

Wallace

Ashore
26th May 2005, 04:37 PM
Anyone have a good store where I can get good prices on any of the units or is Bunnings the best I can do?

The Newcastle ( just down the road from you )outlets that beat bunnies
Toolies Total Tools 02 49602622
Tool city 02 49543555

even with p & H will proberly beat bunnies or you can price match.
Better yet come up go to the vinyards let SHMBO do the tasting and you may be allowed to get a heap of good stuff on the way home.

The trouble with life is there's no background music.

Sprog
26th May 2005, 05:50 PM
I have both the Makita 3612 router and the Triton TRA001 router.
I have had the Makita for just about forever. I needed a router with variable speed for large bits and was going to get the Makita 3612C but after trying the Triton router there just wasn't any comparison, so I bought the Triton router.
The Triton router is great hand held and is definitely not top heavy. The Triton router is probably the only router specifically designed to be used in a router table.
The Triton routers weight compares favourably with other routers in the 3.25HP class.
eg.
Makita 3612 - 6Kg
Triton 7Kg
Porter Cable 8-9Kg depending on the model.

I have had the Triton router for 3 years, use it almost every day and it has performed flawlessly.
If I needed another router I would buy the Triton again.

For a review of the Triton router see
http://www.mv.com/users/besposito/woodworking/

boban
26th May 2005, 07:17 PM
I have the Triton, Makita 3612 and the Bosch GOF 1300 (also an ozito for small bits and a lend out tool)

My experience:

Triton is very well designed for under the table. I dont think there is a better tool for this work. I've never used it hand held.

The Bosch is a great tool for hand held work. It just feels right.

The Makita is a good tool but doesn't have the micro and macro adjustments of the other two. Once adjusted however, it feels good in the hand. I use the Makita/Bosch combination in my Leigh jig.

The negatives

I dont think I would buy the Triton if I wasn't going to put it in a table at some time. For me it does feel right in the hand.

I found the Makita tiresome to raise and drop and I dont like it for table use.

The Bosch is probably underpowered at 1300 watts for the larger bits you would use in a table.

Ianab
26th May 2005, 07:37 PM
I dont think you will be dissapointed with any of those routers.
They are all heavy duty / powerfull beasts :D
I've got a 3612C that I mostly use bolted to my sawmill for milling the bumps off big slabs of timber. The Triton was the other option I considered, but I came across a good deal on the Makita and went with that.
The 3612 is rated at 1850 watts, while the 3612C is 2300w, so the extra power, variable speed, soft start and electronic braking are all +s.
Probably haven't helped you much have I :confused:

Although I love my 3612C if you can get a Triton cheaper you will probably be better off... hope that helps ;)

Cheers

Ian

Harry72
26th May 2005, 11:45 PM
The Makita is a good tool but doesn't have the micro and macro adjustments of the other two. Once adjusted however, it feels good in the hand. I use the Makita/Bosch combination in my Leigh jig.

I found the Makita tiresome to raise and drop and I dont like it for table use.

Hmmm Leigh jig... Im jealous!

The mak does have a micro adjust thats what the adjusting knob does isnt it? With the way mine is set up I use a digital caliper to measure while adjusting... dont get any more micro than .01mm adjustments in woodwork!

I like the 3612c for table use... there are a few things you can do that help, remove the handles and the plunge springs and the stepped stop as none of it is needed.
Removal of the springs makes adjustments very easy, quite often to change bits that use the same height setting I just hold the bottom of the router release the plunge lock and push it up fully and relock, change the bit from above the table then release the lock again and it drops back to the same height setting. Also it stops the skewing action you get with the adjusting knob/thread on one side.

But in saying that if I ever need to replace my table router prob buy the GMC triton or a big porter.

boban
27th May 2005, 12:33 AM
Hmmm Leigh jig... Im jealous!

The mak does have a micro adjust thats what the adjusting knob does isnt it? With the way mine is set up I use a digital caliper to measure while adjusting... dont get any more micro than .01mm adjustments in woodwork!

Phrased badly on my part there Harry. I meant it as a combination of the two. The Mak does have the micro, but not the micro and macro together like the other two.

I know guys who have drilled the knob and put in a square bit so that they can attach their drills to it for quick height adjustments. There are a multitude of ingenious solutions no doubt. Im just basing my opinions on the standard setup as I have them.

For me there is no perfect router just yet. A combination of the three I mentioned would go a long way toward that.

Harry72
27th May 2005, 12:51 AM
Agree there you need 2+ routers if your seirously into it!
I'll be looking for a replacement soon for my GMC crap that I use for hand held work... sometimes I could just launch it across the shed, theres no fine adjustment at all I got to let the plunge lock off a little then give it a thumpin to adjust it... she's not gunna last much longer I swear it :(

johnc
29th May 2005, 12:34 AM
Until following this thread I had intended to pick up a 3612C to permanently mount under a table and leave the existing 3612 for freehand use, on top of a very old 1/4" collet Mak. However after reading all the comments it looks as though a Triton will be on the list instead, and that might have to be sooner rather than later if GMC have bought them off Hills.

JohnC

ReP0
29th May 2005, 01:39 PM
Thanks everyone for the feedback. Unfortunately you have not really made my choice any easier! :D

I'll head back into bunnings and have a closer look at the three again. Triton will probably be the go'er atm but we'll see.

Swagman
30th May 2005, 03:39 PM
Hi RePo and others,

I bought the Triton on Saturday at our local Mitre 10. Their price was $425 on the shelf but when I mentioned Bunnings' $399 price to the guy in the shop, he didn't hesitate and said they happily take 10% off the lowest price in the area - so I got it for $359. Not sure if it's a statewide (Vic in this case) policy, but it might be worth checking your closest Mitre 10.

Incidentally I also ended up with the Triton table and stand - in this case 10% less than the price at the local Home store (which was on special at the time and already 10% lower than Bunnings :)).

(Might get to use them too when SWMBO lets me out of the doghouse :D).

Just George
6th June 2005, 08:25 PM
RePo,

Mate, I'm hoping you haven't done the deal yet, if you haven't find a Triton demonstration near you and go and have a look at one there. You'll find it a great router, I am a demonstrator(in Brisbane) and now you may think I am biased but when I wanted to buy two routers for the two router tables I have to use my Gifkins jig(which uses two bits) I bought two Triton routers. They are simply the best for bit change and bit height and safety when changing your bits. These things are probably best discovered at a demo as not all sales people is hardware stores know the finer points of all their stock. It comes with a base for doing edges which also does circles which is going to be your first project. Like one of the other people who replied to your original question, I also have the Bosch GOF1300ACE router which is a great router as well. If you are considering doing circles for speakers try a trimmer(Ryobi for about about $80), using the circle attachment and a flush trim bit with the bearing at the shank end rather than the end. Do you circle using the attachment and finish it off using the flush trim bit and the bearing. Eben though I am a Triton demonstrator DePo, I am not biased, look around and go to a Triton demo and a Makita demo(do they do demos?) and do the best thing for yourself - the demonstrator will show you not only the router but the Router Table and attachments and what they can do. I am sorry for adding to your confussion or I am glad to have helped should that be the case. Do the right thing for you and your pocket, which ever way you go, good luck, have fun and keep safe.

Woody
Triton Demonstrator
Mature Age Apprentice Cabinetmaker
Woodworker

ReP0
8th June 2005, 12:47 AM
Woodworker101,

Are you suggesting a trimmer would be more of a appropriate tool for cutting the speaker holes?. I'm a total noob when it comes to woodworking though I wasn't too bad in high school. I haven't purchased anything yet (been a bit busy lately).

Most guides I've seen use a router to cut the speaker holes with a simple jig the router sits in. Would it be simpler with a trimmer or would it be much of a muchness and I'd get more use out of the router in the future?

I'll have a look next when I'm at the hardware store. Unfortunately finding time to go to demos is usually a problem. How does one find out when and where demos for products are being held? I'm pretty sold on the triton from all the good things I hear from this forum and other forums about it.

EDIT: I should mention that these holes will be 12'' in diameter.

Cheers!

Just George
8th June 2005, 08:28 PM
RePo,

Trimmers come with a guide that allows you to cut circles by finding where you want the centre of the circle to be. You drive a screw into that point and lower the spinning bit itno your workpiece and go around. One thing to keep in mind though, don't try to go too deep especially if you are using a 1/4 inch router/trimmer. 1/2 inch bits are designed for heavier work and are stronger, it's NO fun when you bend a router bit, I'd have a bet thet you won't bend a 1/2 inch bit but if you try and take off too much with a 1/4 inch bit then you may just do that. Of course, I'm not trying to scare you and if I have I am sorry.

The Triton router has a guide for doing edges which doubles as a circle cutter again by finding where you want the centre of the circle and driving a screw or nail through the adjustable slide in the base. Then small bits at a time for each circle lower the router bits(spinning) as you do each circle. Even though the Triton is 3hp and is capable of taking out a lot on each pass I am a firm believer in not making my equipment over work, the more I look after them the longer they will look after me.

The sales staff at your local hardware stores will know about what you want to do and how to do it, however they may not know everything about all of their tools.

Woody

Groggy
8th June 2005, 09:01 PM
RePO, you may find this link to a circle cutting jig of interest:

http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/pages/wvt114.asp

It contains a short video of about 12.7mb, easy for broadband but needs a determined dial-er-upper.

Sprog
9th June 2005, 01:32 PM
Just a heads up, if using a circle cutting jig and if you cut right through the board then you will have unsupported pieces that can move around. Both the inner and outer parts have to be fastened down securely.
Consider using a template with a template guide bush as an alternative.