PDA

View Full Version : 25 hours of turning

chuck1
25th September 2013, 07:42 PM
just had 3 days of turning at work! still have to turn the pile of surian cedar balusters!
the different size ones are going on treads and under ceiling this has been a Big job just the turning side of it! any feed back is appreciative

Pat
25th September 2013, 08:15 PM
Looks like about 10 years of Spindle Turning hell for me :;

Scott
25th September 2013, 10:41 PM
Are you using some sort of copying device from a template? Because, if you aren't, I take my hat off to you. Keeping the same dimensions on that many pieces is demanding. Well done! :2tsup:

chuck1
26th September 2013, 12:22 AM
just using a pencil gauge! my trusty roughing gouge 3/8 by 3/8 Skew and detail gouge, work to the lines I transfer once it's roughed to a cylinder and turn, turn turn! the first 5 and the last 8 were fun!

chuck1
26th September 2013, 09:22 AM
Looks like about 10 years of Spindle Turning hell for me :;

lots of practice Pat, I inherited my grand fathers lathe in 1988, I dabbled around doing all the wrong things then in 1990 had a private lesson and was bitten by the bug and was lucky enough to get a place in the woodturning trade course and an apprenticeship! being yelled at by a boss gets you to pickup the pace!
And that's a lot of lathe time, I have only been back in the industry 3 and half years now and I started at the basics at home practicing with my Tafe books!
I don't think I'll ever be as fast as I was when I was 18! my new boss was throwing numbers at me the other day and I was thinking not a chance on this job! the balusters have way to much detail!
so really what I'm getting at is once you have the basics practice as much as you can!

artme
26th September 2013, 10:25 AM
Great effort Chuck!!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

I trust there were breaks in the 25 hrs!:q

RETIRED
26th September 2013, 11:18 AM
Great job. That raised section in the taper would be the worst bit.

chuck1
26th September 2013, 11:45 AM
yes breaks morning tea and lunch! so there is more time , 135 minutes to be precise!

the raised bit I ran the steady on. so I could get the lathe faster! Will get some photos when I turn the cedar ones! the teknatool is handling the work load ok! but work won't buy anything bigger!

Christos
26th September 2013, 01:24 PM
Personally I am not sure if I could do that but know that I have done similar repetitive work on my job. Sitting in front of a computer filling out a spreadsheet.

Even if your work does not tell you, I will say great job on getting these done