PDA

View Full Version : Figured Mango bowl

corbs
25th September 2013, 09:13 PM
These two bowls came from the same piece of wood. I used my wood saver to salvage the inside of the larger bowl. I love my bowl saver :D

The large one is 345mm x 55mm & the little one is 195mm x 45mm. Both of the bowls are finished with three coats of Kunos Oil.

TTIT
25th September 2013, 10:09 PM
Very nice indeed Corbs :2tsup::2tsup: The shape works well for that wonderful looking figure!

MAPLEMAN
25th September 2013, 10:14 PM
Yep..very tasty indeed!!Mango is a wonderful choice as well,particularly when it looks that good.The bowl looks fantastic:2tsup::2tsup:..MM

Willy Nelson
26th September 2013, 12:04 AM
Corbs
You are a bugger!

Just when I think I have all the tools I need (my carving jig arrived tonight), I see your post which has re-ignited my need for a bowl saver. THANKS Mate!!!!!!

Edit: Very nice bowls indeed!
Sincerely
Willy
Jarrahland

corbs
26th September 2013, 08:53 AM
Corbs
You are a bugger!

Just when I think I have all the tools I need (my carving jig arrived tonight), I see your post which has re-ignited my need for a bowl saver. THANKS Mate!!!!!!

Edit: Very nice bowls indeed!
Sincerely
Willy
Jarrahland

Sorry about that Willy :;

On a side note with the bowl saver though... I would recommend you have a play with one using some of your 'fire wood' over there before purchasing. I've successfully used mine on green and soft woods. I got some old hard wood from a local bridge that was pulled down and the failure was dramatic. I've read that these are harder to use on hard dry woods so would probably recommend a trial run on Jarrah with one if you can get your hands on one.

Corbs

Scott
26th September 2013, 09:15 AM
Nice work Corbs, the form and grain on those bowls is superb. :2tsup:

chuck1
26th September 2013, 09:35 AM
they are really nice bowls! I must try get some mango to turn!
so many talented people on this forum!

artme
26th September 2013, 10:28 AM
Don't you just love it when the work comes up so well?

Great bowls from beautiful timber there Corbs.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

corbs
26th September 2013, 10:52 AM
Thanks again team, Mango isn't a wood I get to see much of down here in Canberra but after working with this piece I will be on the look out for more :D.

Willy Nelson
27th September 2013, 01:43 AM
Sorry about that Willy :;

On a side note with the bowl saver though... I would recommend you have a play with one using some of your 'fire wood' over there before purchasing. I've successfully used mine on green and soft woods. I got some old hard wood from a local bridge that was pulled down and the failure was dramatic. I've read that these are harder to use on hard dry woods so would probably recommend a trial run on Jarrah with one if you can get your hands on one.

Corbs

Corbs,
You are correct, I have had a play with a few bowl savers, and dry, hard timber kills them. I have just cut a heap of York Gum Burls and it annoys me that 90% will end up at my feet as shavings. I intend getting one for wet burls only
Willy
Jarrahland