PDA

View Full Version : Gas Hob over inbuilt oven

zymurgy
25th May 2005, 11:55 PM
I'm doing a small reno in the kitchen.

Just had the electrician put in a couple of dedicated 15amp sockets for the ovens.

Now I need to prepare for plumber to connect the gas hob.

Here is my problem: Gas hob install says to have a 100mm clearance between bottom on installed hob and an open drawer or inbuilt oven. This means the ovens are a tad lower than I would like (about 60mm).

I ran the ovens for over 1 1/2 hours at 260 degrees and the outside was just luke warm. So the oven isn't the issue.

Does the bottom of a gas hob get that hot that it really needs 100mm clearance?

I know if I ask the manufacturer (BOSCH), I'll be told to follow the install.

Thoughts, general ridicule.....

Gordon.

Ashore
26th May 2005, 12:31 AM
zymurgy
The people that make these decisions add an extra safety factor so they can't be sued when your house burns down

You say Does the bottom of a gas hob get that hot that it really needs 100mm clearance? Proberly not but if you follow design instructions and your house burns down the insurance pays, if you dont then.........
How hot does it get under the hob with the thing at full bore covered in pots and pans reflecting the heat down ?
You may find that 2/3 years down the track you will be use to the ovenS, ( my god how many have you got), at the height they are at and anything else would feel wrong.
Just a thought

The trouble with life is there's no background music.

zymurgy
26th May 2005, 01:06 AM
Asmore,

If it burns down, the chipboard carcass will probably go as well and then they won't know what I did :)

Your correct in that over time, it'll be the 'norm'. It's just that NOW, I have a choice.

The hob is stainless steel, so I imagine it would reflect a lot of the heat and it fully enclosed at the bottom, again with metal.

Gordon.

Ashore
26th May 2005, 01:24 PM
Maybe a layer of asbestos sheet between them just to be on the safe side then
the type welding curtains are made from.

The trouble with life is there's no background music.

GCP310
26th May 2005, 04:21 PM
if both appliances generate enough heat to ignite the support structure, they would specify the support structure to be made out of a non combustible material wouldnt you think?

Like you said, 'luke warm' isnt going to ignite chipboard.

i dont think youll have a problem, your talking about 40mm.

G

zymurgy
26th May 2005, 11:54 PM
O spoke with Bosch, they said the hob (underneath) can get quite warm, so they need the gap for ventilation/safety.

I'll be a good boy and follow the rules.

Thanks for all you input.

Gordon.