PDA

View Full Version : Trunnions on small brass cannon

Jim Ferrous
27th September 2013, 11:31 AM
Most small brass cannons have the trunnions cast when they're moulded.

On a turned decorative cannon, would the best way to do it be turn trunnions and to solder them on or drill and tap them?

Any suggestions?

Hornetb
27th September 2013, 03:41 PM
On a decorative piece it wouldn't matter which way you did it. Glue them on with marshmallows if you were happy enough with that.

Do whatever is easiest for you that will give you the finish you require.

I'd just drill the cannon then glue the trunnions in, but that's me.

Up to you how you want to do it.

All the best,

HB

bwal74
27th September 2013, 04:28 PM
Hi,

On my last two cannons (my only two), I drilled the holes then glued the trunnions in place. Worked well enough for now but eventually when I make more I'll try different methods. I have a PDF on scale cannons that another member emailed me if you would like a copy. I can't remember its name right now but if you want it let me know.

Ben.

I'd put up a photo of what I made up but none of our phone camera's are working right now.

nearnexus
27th September 2013, 04:57 PM
Most small brass cannons have the trunnions cast when they're moulded.

On a turned decorative cannon, would the best way to do it be turn trunnions and to solder them on or drill and tap them?

Any suggestions?

I wouldn't solder them in/on as you will almost certainly have an unsightly solder edge to deal with (will spoil the brass look) plus while you solder one, the other may re-melt.

I'd be inclined to drill right through and use a brass pin wider than the barrel - just put some Araldite down the barrel at that point to lock it in place.

Rob

Jim Ferrous
27th September 2013, 05:37 PM
Thanks for the replies, looks like gluing is the way to go. I was concerned about having a visible solder rim.

JohnQ
27th September 2013, 06:07 PM
Ben
That PDF came from me August last year, just remember the way the trunnions are designed, they are for display purposes ONLY.

Some re-engineering would need to be done for them to work safely.

JohnQ

Chief Tiff
27th September 2013, 09:34 PM
If you drill and silver solder them in you'll get an invisible joint when polished. Done many shiny brass jobs like that and no-one can see the join when polished, even when they know where the join is supposed to be. Let it tarnish though and the joint turns grey.

fxst
28th September 2013, 12:10 AM
Another method for non-firing desk models is to drill and tap them
Pete

eskimo
28th September 2013, 12:05 PM
I welded mine..(steel)... its going to be a real cannon..ie a firing model
The drawing called for screwing them in and welding seemed simpler at the time for me...but I am now wishing I followed the drawing and machined and screwed....
Its only because of the fact of the weld appearance. Dont get me wrong the weld is very neat but it does still distract somewhat.

edit..ps I didnt do it...I had them welded by professional tiggerer......is that a word...lol.

TKO
28th September 2013, 10:34 PM
I thought you said not to tell any one, Eddie

eskimo
29th September 2013, 10:22 AM
I thought you said not to tell any one, Eddie

your right Eddie..I did

Ok you lot ..come clean...who's spilled the beans.........who added that edit....lol